Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

using LS1 harness on 5.3 questions

Old 11-26-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default using LS1 harness on 5.3 questions

I have a friend who right now is running a 1999 ls1 engine harness and PCM flashed to a 2003 5.3L program. He has LS injectors to match the harness but that is all he had done to work with the harness. The oxygen sensors had to be tuned out (run on open loop) because with them in use the engine would buck and not run right at all. Anyone know how to make it work w/ the oxygen sensors?
Old 11-29-2011, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone know anything about this?
Old 12-02-2011, 06:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Is your friend running the 5.3 MAF sensor or the LS1 MAF sensor? Is the tune setup for the MAF sensor that he is running. The reason that it probably runs better without the O2s hooked up is because it is running in open loop and not using the MAF tables. I assume you are running the LS1 Intake as well?

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 12-03-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

need to data log and see what the pcm is seeing.. but as already mentioned above those are some key differences that can cause his problems.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by psiconversion
Is your friend running the 5.3 MAF sensor or the LS1 MAF sensor? Is the tune setup for the MAF sensor that he is running. The reason that it probably runs better without the O2s hooked up is because it is running in open loop and not using the MAF tables. I assume you are running the LS1 Intake as well?

Jon
PSI
I think he is running the 5.3 MAF, and not sure about the tune. As far as I know, the shop had a 1998 LS1 PCM flashed to the 5.3L program and that is all that was done.

The intake is the 5.3L intake also (he swapped out for LS1 injectors to match the wiring harness, which is also off a 1998 LS1)

I'm getting tuning software myself, and will be able to see what is going on. What should I look for?
Old 01-05-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey guys I got some data logging done. I used the default imperial.cfg to record this. It is what happens when you hold the engine at a rev. You can see the STFTs going opposite of each other.

I have HP tuners now, how can I see if it was tuned for a 5.3MAF or LS1 MAF?

Also, is there a way I can see if it is tuned for LS1 injectors and not the 5.3 injectors?

I already downloaded a stock tune for a 1998 firebird and also a 2002 5.3 Silverado that I can compare stuff to. I'm just not sure how to find the calibration for MAF and injectors
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
ClosedLoopMessUp.hpl (3.8 KB, 117 views)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: using LS1 harness on 5.3 questions