Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 Nova L33 swap

Old 12-16-2011, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1969 Nova L33 swap

I picked up this L33 and I am excited to get this swap started! Since the 1998 Camaros came out with the LS engine I have wanted to do this swap. So it has been a long tome coming but just pulled the trigger. It is a 2006 5.3 aluminum block with 61000 miles. It has 799 heads, what do you guys know about them these heads? The pics show what it came with it, a computer, F-body oil pan, DBW throttle body, ls2 balancer, GTO and truck exhaust manifolds, an Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator, and some other small stuff. It is dirty so I gotta get it cleaned up. I'll spend this winter collecting parts to get it in the car and hopefully running in the spring. I gotta get an oil pan, all the front accessories, spark plug wires, starter, and headers. I gotta figure out what to do about the radiator and fans, fuel system, and I am sure many other things. I am sure I'll have lots of questions as I try to get this thing in.

I have since picked up a truck alt, ps and bracket. I want to use this bracket so I don't have to notch the crossmember. Hopefully it fits under the hood just fine.

Next is what water pump to use. It is a dilemma for me because I want to eventually get a LS6 intake but I am perfectly content with getting this thing running with the truck intake. I am thinking I'll get the LS6 intake when a good deal falls in my lap...so it may be awhile. With that in mind I want to use a water pump that will work with a car intake. As you can see in the pics I do not have a water pump now so I am thinking just get the fbody wp now and be done with it. I realize I'll need to use spacers if I use the truck alt/ps bracket I just got. A member on here was kind enough to offer to sell me his for a great price. I am considering it but I have to look into it a little more. Well that is it for now. I am not promising to get this done fast. I have a great, understanding wife, four kids (6, 4, 2, and 8 weeks) so this project is far from a high priority.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Here is the car.
Pictures

My dad bought this car in 1989 when I was 16. He drove it that winter and then went into the body shop for a "cosmetic restoration" in spring of 1990. After a 2 year stay at the body shop the car came out with new rear outer wheelhouses, new 1/2 quarters, new fenders, new paint, repaired trunk floor, rebuilt 250. We dyed the interior black as well. I drove the car in the spring, summer and winter of 1992. While I was in college from 1992-1997 at Penn State the car was only driven during summers. After graduation I moved to Philadelphia and the car sat in in my parent's garage from 1997-2007. I moved back to Pittsburgh in 2007 and began driving it again. Since then I have replaced the drivers side floor and replaced body bushings with aluminum ones.

As I mentioned I have always wanted to put a LS engine in here but never thought I had the time, money or know-how. Well I still don't have the time, money or know-how but at the least the aftermarket has made these swaps almost as easy as a SBC swap. Plus I will be relying on all of you for the know how part.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing that might make life easier when it's time to connect the heater hoses, with the LS engine would be a BBC heater core and matching cover. I think they are the same for an early camaro and nova. Their hoses come out and 8" to the left of where yours do now. They might clear the way they are now, but you would have more room to move the motor back, if you needed to.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Man that thing is clean. Dont throw away that 6 banger. That may be the first one I've seen that isnt covered in oil! Good luck with the build.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 12-17-2011, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

I have seen LS engines with both the BB and SB heater cores. Definitely no problem with space with the BB core but Ive seen it done with the SB core as well, even with 1" set back mount plates.

Thanks Jon for the compliments. This car is definitely driver quality. It has got its dents and dings. The passenger side front floor floor needs replaced and I need to find a back seat for it, among other things. This paint was done in 1992. I have not put too many miles on the car since the paint, maybe 5000 or so but lots of time has past since then.

But I need some advice from anyone who wants to give it...talk me out of putting a carb on this engine. I am really considering it. I am on a pretty strict budget and it seems that with a carb it just seems like I will not be nickle and dimed as much. Give me your pros and cons. I am a member over at Steves Nova Site as well and I am going to post this over there as well.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me know of any aftermarket parts you may need for the swap. Headers, Oil Pan, Motor Mounts and whatever else you may need.

I have a 71 Nova myself. Love these cars!
Old 12-18-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Carb and EFI

Kirk

Welcome! Beautiful and clean Nova you have there, and your engine builder looks like a real pro! I am a new guy both here and Steve's Nova Site as well. I am in the begining stages of my 73' LS swap. And I was going back and forth between Carb and EFI as well. A lot of the guys here contributed to both side or the argument for me just as I am sure they will for you. As far a cost, if you can keep the "build up" bug at bay, either option can be done on a similar budget.

Fortunately it sounds like you got a pretty complete donor engine, if you have to piece together all the parts then the cost and time of EFI would sky rocket! Tracking down and paying for items like sensors, DBW pedal and TAC or new connectors (if your harness was removed by junkyard gorillas!) is the point where budget and EFI go their separate ways.

Going the carb route you have to buy an intake, MSD box and carb. If you are willing to take your time you can find excellent deals on these parts new or used. A rebuilder carb can be found for $100 bucks. $50 for a rebuild kit and an afternoon and you have a Holley or Edelbrock 750 ready to shred tires! Going this route you can also sell many components of your donor like the intake/throttle body/rails, harness, PCM, pedal and TAC and re-coup some build funds.

There is also a time and learning curve associated with either route. EFI involves many tasks that themselves are not huge, but added together CAN add substantial time and energy to the build. A carb system couldn't get much simpler. This was the deciding factor for my build. I have many other areas of the car that need my attention (brakes, chassis, tranny...) I do not want to add the extra work of an EFI system at this time. Plus I have a deadline to have my Nova up and cruising by next spring, which is not as far off as it sounds!

All I can say is research research research, and in the end it is your choice. Whatever you choose I will be following your build! Best of luck!
Old 12-18-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

subscribing. Nice looking Nova.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Not much to update. I got a water pump, crank pulley, alt, ps pump and bracket. Trying to stick to a budget and I am rolling the dice with used parts. Keeping my fingers crossed. Also got a new radiator, not used. Pics are below.

And a public thanks to Jon at PSI for taking time to answer some of my questions on the phone today.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default color..

what color is the nova?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

It is a 1992 GM color used on Vettes, Camaros and Firebirds. It might have been used on other GM models but I saw it on a Camaro. I was a senior in high school when it was painted. I was going to go with Marina Blue but this color came out and I had to have it. Hindsight is 20/20. 18 year olds don't understand the word "trendy". Oh well, nineteen years later it still shines and gets thumbs ups all the time but if I had to do it again I would have done something different.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:35 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice platform to jump off into an LS1 swap. I would have to say fuel injection was the number one reason for me to make the switch from a SBC. I love the ability to datalog and tune using HPTuners. I got started on the computer end by messing with my daily driver '99 Corvette, and once you get familiar with the EFI you wont look back at a carb. For my '69 Nova conversion, I started with a $50 Corvette engine harness and a $100 Corvette ECM. I modified the harness from Drive-by-wire to cable because my build was going to use a 4150 style throttle body. Where are you located? Maybe somebody local can help you with the harness and getting it tuned. Keep focused on the final product and don't let yourself make too many changes mid-stream. Even if it takes 2 years (like mine) it will be worth it when you load up the kids and head to Sonic for a street cruise-in.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice project. The 07-up water pump will work with your accessories and allow a car intake later.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:55 AM
Staging Lane

The VVT water pumps are suposed to let you use the LS6 intake with minimal fab work. I'll have look at my book again. I'm in the same boat as you, I have a 66 Buick LeSabre 2 door hard top. My 5.3 is complete though. I had 68 Nova in the 70's to early eightys. It was also a six banger. I smiled when I saw your engine bay, sweet. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:08 AM
Teching In

looking good kirk subscribed
Old 09-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Any updates?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Teching In

l33s so cheap and they make such a great swap!
Old 09-06-2012, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an l33 and it is awesome being able to SAVE weight going from an v6...great platform bc of the weight and compression/heads...good pick man!
Old 09-08-2012, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

I has been a long road so far. I spent the winter and spring collecting some parts. I got all the front accessories, a set of hooker headers, an electric fan, a 4l60e from a 2002 Camaro. Also a TAC module, computer and gas pedal all from the same truck. I am sure I missing a few other things.
I still need:
1. The fuel system, probably going with an Impala SS tank.
2. Get the computer reflashed
3. Buy the harness.
4. Buy the gauges.
5. Buy all the little parts to install everything.
6. The easy part, the time to put it all together!

By plan I still have the six cylinder in it so I can go to some cruises but I have not been to one this year! As I mentioned in one of the first few threads this car or the LS swap is not my highest priority so I knew it would be a long process.

With that said, a few years ago I bought a disk brake conversion for it. I got sick of seeing the boxes sitting on the garage floor. At some point this summer I also realized I was not going to be driving the car too much this summer so I decided to do the conversion. But in classic old car fashion it turned into a little more. I had the front end components powder coated, all the front suspension bushings were replaced, replaced all the brake lines, rebuilt the rear brakes and I added a power brake booster, added a sway bar and replaced the shocks and coil springs.

The driving difference is totally different for the better!!! It is much stiffer, brakes way better and just overall handles and feels better.
I'd like to say I'll start the LS swap this winter but we will see. Thanks for checking in and giving me the motivation to get back on here and post an update.

Before:

After:
Old 09-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Teching In

You will like the l33. I put one in my 80 series Toyota land cruiser and it moves it very well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1969 Nova L33 swap