Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone used the GM retro fit oil pan?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone used the GM retro fit oil pan?

Just wondering if any has used the GM retro fit oil pan? And if so, has anyone used it in a 1968-72 Nova? Thanks
Old 12-19-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just used it in my 69 Chevelle. Went right in with no issues. However, the thing really sits low. It sits about 1.5 to 2" below my cross member. Too low for my liking. I plan to make a skid plate to protect it. It did make it easy to do the conversion though. If I had some bigger rims than 15's I wouldn't worry about it. At some point I plan to put some 18's on it but with 15's its too close to the ground. Not a Nova but saw you didn't have any input.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This question has been asked may times.. and beat to death... Yes and as Wicked stated, it does hang down pretty low.. a few others say it is flush with the Crossmember.. but to have that happen, you have to mount the engine up higher.. and not recommened if you plan to lower your car.

IMO, Go with a Notch F-body or aftermarket (Holley/Mast if you want cast Alum or the Champ steel pans). I am using the JTz pan (which Holley is marketing) for my 71 Nova.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:23 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

We used the GM pan in our 71 Nova swap. It does hang a little low and was kind of tight around the cross member. Will probably go with the Holley pan on the next swap.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 12-20-2011, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If u need one , I will sell u one RIGHT. I dont have the ground clearance on my 2 inch lowered 72 camaro. It was OK till the new springs settled. Now im only 2 1/2- 3 inches off the ground. My mounts work with the f-boby pan, and its on the way here now. Come on UPS!
Old 12-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the input
Old 12-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Wicked69
I just used it in my 69 Chevelle. Went right in with no issues. However, the thing really sits low. It sits about 1.5 to 2" below my cross member. Too low for my liking. I plan to make a skid plate to protect it. It did make it easy to do the conversion though. If I had some bigger rims than 15's I wouldn't worry about it. At some point I plan to put some 18's on it but with 15's its too close to the ground. Not a Nova but saw you didn't have any input.
Yeah, sorry I had no input. My nova will have 15" rims, so I guess from your opinion I should probably go a different route. I do have a truck pan that I could easily modify too. Thanks

Quick Reply: Has anyone used the GM retro fit oil pan?