Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twin Screwed No More! - Re birth of an Mz3

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Screwed No More! - Re birth of an Mz3

After a wonderful 10 years with my BMW Mz3 Coupe- I flirted with the idea of replacing her with something new - something with LS power!. While there are so many great cars out there to suit every individual, I felt a special connection to my M Coupe. Although very close to selling her this fall and the thought of change appealed to me, I knew it just did not sit well with me . My next car would have been a track prepared C5 or C6...but when I added up all things I would have to do all over again...I decided i should consider some other options before taking a jump.

My needs- not so simple: to have a seriously capable track day car that is also safe, reliable, challenging to drive and rewarding. But it also has to be street legal because I need the flexibility.

After lurking on the threads and following builds- I decided this was the route that me and the M Coupe would take this winter. I have been a long time posted on Bimmer Forums with my Twinscrewed.

The Eurosport Twin Screw set up was amazing- fast / reliable/ easy to maintain. (Yet not an ideal set up for heavy track day usage- in my experience.) But I dreamed of an LS motor for so long...and eager for some change....I decided to take some of best domestic car influences and put them in my M coupe. ( the TS has found a happy new home).

So stay tuned!........ please share any best practices .....

In the meantime...here is my car:

http://www.ponycars.net/eriksMcoupe.htm
Old 12-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Default The Parts-

2006 GTO LS2 + T56 with DBW
Comp C+ Cam / Rockers / springs / pushrods
ASP Pulley
Polished Throttle Body
Fidanza LTW Flywheel
LS7 Clutch and Pressure Plate
Wallbro 255
MSD Ignition Coils

Vorshlag- Motor Mounts / Trans Cross Brace / Drive Shaft / Steering Shaft / Headers ( 1 3/4 primaries) and custom dual 3" exhaus/ Remote Bleed Throwout with Reservoir

NAHRODS- Custom all Aluminum Radiator with build in Expansion tank and shroud _ 16" Puller. (most beautiful radiator ) and the ABS relocation brackets

Current Performance- Complete Stand Alone Harness with all emissions and custom tune. ( they also provided harness, pedal, PCM + tune)

Shifter - Stay tuned...have a killer solution from a west coast tune- will put shifter 7.5 inches back form F body cup and dead center of MZ3 location! They will have option for GTO cup and F Body Cup for Z3 conversions.

Ishihara- Johnson - Teflon Crank Scraper-
Improved Racing- Baffled oil Pan Tray with LS1 pan and tube
Nook and Tranny- catch can, new starter,
Turn One- Power Steering Pump and Annodized Pulley
Katech- Idler Pulley and Oil Pump Shim

Still deciding...depends on headers...
Oil Cooler ?? Most likely Mocal with thermostat from Improved Racing
Thinking about Accusump....

more to come..wife is pissed @ me ...LOL
Old 12-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Default Partners in crime...

http://hotrodhotel.com/

Thank you to Louie and the guys at The Hot Rod Hotel in Buchanan, NY.
Check them out. Louie is a car crazy guy- and is the proud owner of many LS powered cars ( Zr1, variousl vintage vettes, Supercharged Camaro..) and of course one sweet Mz3 with Dinan Stage 3.

So when I told him about my plans.....he was more excited than I was.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't worry about your wife as much as the coming wrath of BMW purist in swapping the M-Coupe.

Love it.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rotor vs. piston
I wouldn't worry about your wife as much as the coming wrath of BMW purist in swapping the M-Coupe.

Love it.
When they see the finished car...I think they will come to the dark side.

Parts are on the way and I am lining up the project so we can make good progress once I have the mounts and header.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Default Making some progress

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1762826

Looking for mod guidance on the heads. Since the motor was fitted and all looks good...we are getting some things in order before the final fitting.

Since i have the time...is it worth doing anything to the heads as far as port / polish and is it worth it?

I have cam / springs and push rods......1 3/4 headers and dual 3 " magna flow exahust with hi flow cats.

- port and polish exhaust ports?
- other?

Want the car to breathe and rev .

Did a Fidanza LT flywheel...ASP underdrive pulley as well.

Anybody using these gauges? need 2 1/2 inch size...and accurate....what is good out there/

http://store.bimmerworld.com/spa-dig...uges-p164.aspx

Thanks
Old 02-05-2012, 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rotor vs. piston

Love it.
Agreed. Because nothing will ever beat BMW engineering. You should at least use ONLY BMW fluids and really **** them off. The best part will be when you vault to the top of the "fastest M coupes" list with a mild LSx.

Full disclosure: 117k miles of E46 ownership. Just gotta rant on BMW fan boys sometimes.

PS - That twin-screw setup was pretty legit - 387/325 to the wheels with an S52 is very good.

Quick Reply: Twin Screwed No More! - Re birth of an Mz3