Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI tanks lose/lose situation

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EFI tanks lose/lose situation

Looking for a ready to go EFI tank for my 71 chevelle. Both Spectra and Rick's have definite cons to them.

Rick's: Over $1000 and the pump is too small to support my LS build, so there's the cost of a better pump as well as no sending unit included so i'll be into it for 1300+

Spectra: Nightmare with fuel starvation, supposedly fixed with updated part. On top of this, i've read posts about the sender being a 114 ohm unit which is useless to me since I want accurate level readings.

Recent posts i've found still have mixed reviews about Spectra still but it sounds like if you can source out the latest tank, you'll get better fuel control and a 90 ohm sender??? What's the word on this? And is there a different p/n so you know what you're getting?
Old 12-25-2011, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get a tank for a Grand National, fits right in your 71 with minor mods to the filler neck and put in a pump to support your requirements...

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334222

Hope this helps
Old 12-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

Cool that looks like a good option.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A new option is a company called Retrofuel. Aftermarket OEM type tanks fitted with 2010 Camaro pumps.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:43 AM
On The Tree

First I've read of the retrofuel tank. Look's like the way to go. I got tired of the issues with my Spectra Tank, so I decided to cut it myself and put in a similar set-up. I put in the 2005 F-250 Pump that several others on here had written about and reused the 90 ohm sender that was in the Spectra tank. (Guess I am one of the few that actually got the correct sender. Mine was ordered in Aug. 2009).

If I would have know about the retrofuel website, I probably would have ordered everything from them.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I looked at the site and email them since I was looking for a fuel system for my 3rd Gen Nova. got a response.. looks like they are a start up company. Here is his reply with information..

Right now, interest has moved along a lot quicker than I anticipated. I am waiting for my prototype order from the laser cutting shop, and this first one is for a 62-67 Nova. The tank will not be sumped or baffled.

I am planning on putting up some pictures showing the benefits of the Camaro pump. It is short enough to fit into most tanks, has a bucket that keeps the pump submerged in fuel because the bucket is fed from a siphon system on the underside of the tank. Plus there is a second siphon connection that runs to a lower section of the Camaro tank. When this pump is installed in a different tank, the second siphon connection is attached to a tubing system that routes to two corner suction pickups in the tank. So if you are low on fuel, and you take a corner, either one of the pickups will be covered in fuel to feed the pump's bucket.

I do not know when the 3rd gen Nova tanks will be available. Right now, the 62-67 is my first design, and I am ready to move forward with the 64-67 and 68-72 GM A body tanks, as well as 70-73 Camaro tanks. 68-72 Nova will be next in line.

However, I have also been in contact with a local fab shop that will be able to do some one off work for me. I am waiting on their prices for this service based on the 62-67 Nova design. I doubt prices will change much for different models because the base design is very similar, just a different shape to fit the different tank.

There are no vendors. I am in complete start-up mode right now, and will be selling everything direct.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to reply.

Thanks!!
Bari Wrubel
www.retrofuel.com
Old 01-29-2012, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Yes Barri is just getting started with this,he has been over on Stevesnovasite for a while talking about his design.If it pans out which it should it will be a great option for EFI guys.Being an early Nova guy doing an LS swap I cant wait to see the first one.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kballs
Looking for a ready to go EFI tank for my 71 chevelle. Both Spectra and Rick's have definite cons to them.

Rick's: Over $1000 and the pump is too small to support my LS build, so there's the cost of a better pump as well as no sending unit included so i'll be into it for 1300+

Spectra: Nightmare with fuel starvation, supposedly fixed with updated part. On top of this, i've read posts about the sender being a 114 ohm unit which is useless to me since I want accurate level readings.

Recent posts i've found still have mixed reviews about Spectra still but it sounds like if you can source out the latest tank, you'll get better fuel control and a 90 ohm sender??? What's the word on this? And is there a different p/n so you know what you're getting?
I've got the efi Ricks Tank on my 70 Monte Carlo. The sales person asked what engine I'm using. I told him I had an LS3 and he upgraded my fuel pump to a higher output Walbro pump at no charge. The Autometer 5 Gauge kit came with a sender, so there was no extra cost there. I spent less than $1300 with shipping included. The cost was well worth it because I didn't want to buy several different gas tanks that required modification to get it how you want it.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

look at vapor worx website. http://vaporworx.com/ he offers the parts to put the camaro pump in your tank. click on the retroworx kit on the the left.

also for got http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...ight=vaporworx
and http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...ight=vaporworx
Old 01-31-2012, 06:15 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd335.htm. What About this one?
Old 01-31-2012, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

My 70 Chevelle I have a new OEM styel tank I paid $100 for on ebay and a sump from summit for $60. Paid $50 to have it put on. Thats what feeds the carb with and external Holley Black pump. When I switch to LS power I'm gonna put Aeromotive A1000 inline right where the black pump is. Tank is automaticly baffled when sump is installed (3 or 4 1" holes drilled in the bottom of the tank). A1000 is rated for 1500hp n/a or 1200hp f/i. And hear alot of people having issues with Walbro pumps. I also saw on one of those car shows I watch on the weekends, Aeromotive makes a kit that you cut a 3" hole in the top of the tank and the whole unit sits down in the hole and attaches with sheet metal screws and a gasket. Seems to be a nice kit, High quality.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I didnt have any any problems with the Spectra tank in my Chevelle, but i wasnt doin any corner carvin either. I did upgrade the pump wiring in the tank.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone tried these filter screen pickups from Walbro? They are suppose to act like a fuel sump, the ad looks pretty promising. Looks like it would work as a filter too.

http://www.autoperformanceengineerin...l/pickups.html
Old 01-31-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Pop.. looks interesting.. using more than one would seem like a 2010 Camaro pickup with one on each side. Setting it up much like the Vaporworks setup..

http://vaporworx.com/Vaporworx%20Fue...structions.pdf

found this on Lateral-g with a Rick's tank..
http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31884
Old 01-31-2012, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Those are the same type of pumps and pickups that Retrofuel is using, except in OEM type tanks.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default tanks

Originally Posted by Moter
The fuel basin around the pickup looks kinda small.......
Old 02-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Here's a pic of the 1st rough draft on a conceptual test prototype for a 62-67 Nova. It was hand cut, hand bent on the edge of a workbench:

It proved enough to move on to a laser cut/braking shop for a true CAD design. The first prototype order has now been placed. Since this pic, the mounting setup has been drawn up differently for a substantial cost savings over a CNC type ring.

With the 2010 Camaro pump in this setup, you get an internally regulated output at 58psi, so that means no external regulator, no return line, and no extra filters (there is a filter already in the pump). Pump has a venturi siphon that keeps the bucket full so the pump is always submerged/overflowing with fuel. A siphon jet connection gets hooked up to an optional corner pickup system for reliable fuel delivery in cornering while running low on fuel.

67-69 Camaro is up next.

Last edited by 66 BADBOY; 02-01-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

66 BadBoy..

What about the electrical of the pump. .was told that the 5th gen pump was voltage regulated ?.. are you using this setup or changing it to a constant duty type pump?

BC
Old 02-01-2012, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

I believe he is running it at constant 12v with a 58lb/psi regulator.OEM its regulated at 85?lbs/psi and the computer varies the voltage to control pressure.I had a long conversation with Carl at Vaporworx and he swears the stock 5th gen pump works fine with a constant 12v.They have sold many this way and have no reported failures to date.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nova 404
I believe he is running it at constant 12v with a 58lb/psi regulator.OEM its regulated at 85?lbs/psi and the computer varies the voltage to control pressure.I had a long conversation with Carl at Vaporworx and he swears the stock 5th gen pump works fine with a constant 12v.They have sold many this way and have no reported failures to date.
That is correct. There will be a 58 psi regulator installed in the pump to maintain proper pressure in the system. The original regulator is set north of 85psi, and is more or less an "spike relief" or poppet valve. In the OEM setup, the fuel pump controller controls the speed of the pump so it only maintains 58 psi all the time.

But with the 58 psi regulator installed, that maintains the pressure, which is the same fashion that all of the other style pumps out there operate. Even though there are a couple options out there, I've never really heard/read much about guys with Walbros, Bosch, Aeromotive, etc trying to control them electronically. They have typically just been run to a regulator, and that's all.

Quick Reply: EFI tanks lose/lose situation