Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racetronix/Walbro pump kit for impala tank in A-body--problem installing

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Racetronix/Walbro pump kit for impala tank in A-body--problem installing

I'm going with the Impala tank in my Cutlass LS swap; per recco's here I ordered the racetronix kit for LS motors (added $10 labor to this kit per email from racetronix):
http://www.racetronix.biz/customkiti...c=RFPK-004&eq=
Last nite I started installing it. First of all, no instructions included. Found old instructions from 2006 on web, but kit slightly different now. However, the last thing I need to do was plug a connector into the metal tab that holds the BCA connector on the top of the fuel pump assembly, and the new metal tab is too big for the connector! They supplied both of these and they don't fit together. See pic compared to the stock one that I mangled getting the factory piece off. I've got an email in to racetronix, but wondered if others had this problem and how they fixed.

TIA for your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails Racetronix/Walbro pump kit for impala tank in A-body--problem installing-racetronix-connector.jpg  

Last edited by Goldhawg; 12-26-2011 at 11:30 AM. Reason: clarify title
Old 12-26-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

IIRC, I had to modify the plastic or metal part in order to get it to clip together and lock in place.
I assume you've already discovered the top of the sump bucket has to me changed to clear the pump output.
Aceshigh had similar problems recently. Do a search here or in the fueling section.
Pic of mine.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No, I haven't figured any of that out; haven't put it in the tank. I just can't believe they won't put the correct metal tab in the first place. It's like they are trying to make this hard! I got an email back; not encouraging. Basically ignored my ?. Sent them this picture just to make it clear to them; hopefully a better response soon. The stock connector is identical to the connector on their harness; the metal tab they supply is too large (stock stuff is above the racetronix supplied stuff).
Attached Thumbnails Racetronix/Walbro pump kit for impala tank in A-body--problem installing-dsc00675.jpg  

Last edited by Goldhawg; 12-26-2011 at 12:35 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-26-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Dont know if this helps.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...p-kit-how.html
Old 12-26-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thx...I found it from your earlier suggestion. I see you made their metal tab (wish I knew what they're called!) work on the outside, rather than going inside as stock. I'll try and see if I can make it work. The puzzling question is why. The correct metal connector must be the same price (or very small difference). What kind of company makes customers go thru this when it would be very easy for them to have satisfied customers at no add'l cost by including the correct part?
Old 12-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AWESOME!!! Another Olds going LS.
I have a 1970 442 clone getting an LY6 / T56 this year......it's put away til Spring to finish tho.
What's the odds of seeing this after I haven't been here for months...

I ordered a brand new Spectra fuel sending unit , and I also used the Walbro 255LPH and no issues.
I had no issues putting my Bulkhead connector to the teflon harness.

Originally Posted by Goldhawg
What kind of company makes customers go thru this when it would be very
easy for them to have satisfied customers at no add'l cost by including the correct part?
A crappy one..... BTW I got no instructions either, BIG SURPRISE!!!!!

Maybe add your bad experience to the review I created below so more people are aware of it.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...or-review.html

I will be sourcing a Bosch 420 again if I do a 3rd build.

Last edited by Aceshigh; 12-26-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

Default Reply

Well guys, it looks like I AM NOT the only person on this forum that has problems with Racetronix. On 2 different occassions I had bought a pump and Hot Wire kit from them and on 2 different occassions they sent me a different pump than what I ordered. First of all the only reason I had ordered the 2nd time from them is because during my gathering of all my parts for my conversion, I had misplaced the first pump & Hot Wire kit.
Now on Nov.28th I had ordered a GSS340M pump and Hot Wire Kit along with an extra ground wire. On Nov.30th I received the pump and noticed that it was a GSS294M and not the GSS340M that I had ordered. I sent Racetronix a VERY POLITE E-Mail indicating the difference and that I needed the higher output of the 340M and would like for them to exchange it for me. Racetronix response was: "The GSS294M has the exact same performance as the GSS340M and all the other GSS34X pumps. Same guts". I then fired off another E-Mail to Racetronix indicating that I find it hard to believe that they are the same pump. Racetronix reply was: "We did not say it was the same pump we said it had the same internal parts/guts. The only difference is the outer case color and inlet configuration. All Walbro GSS34X series pumps have the same flow specs, gears,armature etc.We use the GSS294M now b/c Walbro increased the price on the GSS340 without justification. We use the GSS294M to be able to offer the same kit price as before. This is the same scenario as the F20000169 vs the GSS340M years ago". Racetronix response: "We are not going to debate this with you. We are are a reputable company selling reputable products. If you find it VERY HARD to believe us why did you buy from us if you do not trust us? REALLY,think about it..if you have a $9,000 motor why are you using a single pump solution in the first place"? . First of all Racetronix DOES NOT know what I have configured in this engine or how it will be used, nor do they know if I want to make a double intank pump. But If I order a GSS340M pump from them, why can't they notify me via E-Mail that the pump has been replaced and if I still wanted it. Another thing, WHY ISN"T their website updated to indicate the GSS340M pump has been replaced by another pump? NOTHING ON THEIR WEBSITE INDICATES THIS and to me this is nothing but a bait and switch scam.If they had offered to replace the pump for THE ONE THAT I ORDERED or offered to return my money since IT WASN"T my mistake like any other REPUTABLE dealer would have I would not have any problem with them,BUT I DO NOT need comments such as "We are not going to debate this with you." Racetronix gave me the same SARCASIM as they gave to forum member "Aceshigh". Guys, my suggestion for anybody needing a Walbro pump is to buy a pump from another Walbro dealer and not buy from Racetronix. Buy from one that has a telephone and that you can actually talk to in person and discuss your needs with them. By talking to someone on the phone they can tell you if the pump you want has been replaced by another one. With Racetronix you get what they feel like sending you. Then you are STUCK WITH IT. NO RETURNS. BUYERS BEWARE. OTHER forum members DO NOT need to get the same sarcasm as forum member "Aceshigh" and I received. Go to another Walbro dealer where you are treated with respect in return for your money. Since this incident I have bought the pump that I need by actually talking to another dealer. Hope this helps someone else from some needless aggravation and grief. Rich
Old 12-27-2011, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=Aceshigh

Maybe add your bad experience to the review I created below so more people are aware of it.
[url]https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-injection/1461755-racetronix-vendor-review.html[/url]

Aceshigh, I was in the process of typing my review of Racetronix here WHILE you were posting the place that you had started reviews of Racetronix. We were both on simultaneously. It sure is sad that we have a vendor on this forum that treats forum members like crap. Well we really don't need to support them anymore and the best thing for us to do is warn other forum members here and also on the other forums that we belong to. Rich
Old 12-27-2011, 02:25 AM
Launching!

Rich,

Add your experience to the review thread so it's searchable for future buyers.
If you keep your reviews in threads like this about a question, it will get lost.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

Default Reply

Thanks Aceshigh. I sure will. Rich
Old 12-27-2011, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Default Reply

Aceshigh,I tried but your thread is closed. Rich.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, no response from Racetronix. I did look at ACESHIGH's previous post and their response, and indeed, when I look at the very small print on the invoice there is a web link to register for their forum for support. Of course, that page won't load right now. Nevertheless, I have NEVER had a product that required you join a forum simply to get instructions. Here is my original email (read from bottom up), and their response, and my subsequent notes to them (which they have not responded to):

Just to make it clear, I've attached another picture. You can see the stock metal tab and the connector, and how it fits compared to your supplied metal tab and connector to the pump harness. The connector you supplied is identical to stock (that's good!) but the metal tab is too large, much bigger than stock, therefore the connector cannot fit over it as the stock one did. Clearly you intended me to replace both of these, but they do not fit together. Please review the picture and tell me what I should do next. The appropriate thing would be for you to find the correct metal tab and send me one, and then make sure its in every kit you send out.

J

To: "Support @ Racetronix" <support@racetronix.com>
Sent: Monday, December 26, 2011 1:14 PM
Subject: Re: fuel pump kit for Impala tank but w/LS based motor

I did NOT remove the connector on your harness, I removed the metal tab (stock) to replace the yellow thing above that is part of your kit--you supply a replacement for a reason. The two things that are supposed to go together in your kit do NOT fit. Obviously something has to be done; either I have to have the stock size metal tab, or I'm supposed to trim the edges of the metal connector that you sent in your kit. Which is it? Again, the quality of the kit seems fine, but why wouldn't you do a couple of minor things to make the customer experience first rate? Your response below is not helpful; you haven't helped the customer figure out how to fix a problem that exists because your kit as is does not work. Please look at the picture I attached--you can clearly see that the black connector that is part of your harness will not fit over the metal tab that you supplied in your kit. You'll also see it does fit over the stock one that has to be mangled to get off in the first place. You've correctly ID'd that all this needs replaced, but the metal tab CANNOT work as is. Tell me how to fix this.

Thx
J

To: 'J H'
Sent: Monday, December 26, 2011 12:44 PM
Subject: RE: fuel pump kit for Impala tank but w/LS based motor

Our sales order/invoice docs provide info on our support forum which contains info required.
There was no reason to remove the connector already installed on the supplied in-tank harness.

Sent: Monday, December 26, 2011 10:59 AM
To: Sales @ Racetronix
Subject: Re: fuel pump kit for Impala tank but w/LS based motor

Just did the install yesterday. Must say the quality of the wiring looks very nice, and I'm sure its going to do a great job. However, there were a couple of issues that I want to bring to your attention. First, there were no instructions included. I had to search the web and find a several year old detailed write up; paper is cheap--your kit should include detailed instructions with pictures (or at least a one page summary of order and a link to where you host the instructions on your web site). Second, and most puzzling, is the connector tab (don't know what you call it, see picture) does NOT fit the connector; you can see it is too wide when compared to the original piece that I mangled getting the factory piece off. Why doesn't the kit have the right size connector in it? Unless my kit was put together wrong, everyone that purchases your unit will have this problem--I saw some complaints online that others have had this problem and this can't be too hard to correct. Please advise how I'm supposed to fix--this is the last thing I need to do to get it ready to go in the tank.

Again, I'm pretty pleased with the quality of the kit, just a bit dumbfounded why it wouldn't come with the correct size piece. Fix this, add some instructions, and you'll have a lot more satisfied customers.

Thx for your attention.

J

Last edited by Goldhawg; 12-27-2011 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Only name and my email address deleted
Old 12-27-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, all's well that ends well. Jack from Racetronix called me; the plastic terminal that the fuel pump comes with must be replaced with a smaller one when you purchase their bulkhead connector kit. This connector was in the stuff I had, and once I saw it was obvious. You use the safety pin to push the prong in on the wires and they come right out, then put back in the new connector. He does have this also on his site--it was down earlier today but while we talked it came back and I registered and problem solved. I still may not like their way of doing business (not sending instructions), but at least the kit was complete and he called me to help me figure out the remaining step. The kit is very nice and I hope it will serve me well. Pics show the smaller connector.
Attached Thumbnails Racetronix/Walbro pump kit for impala tank in A-body--problem installing-dsc00684.jpg   Racetronix/Walbro pump kit for impala tank in A-body--problem installing-dsc00683.jpg   Racetronix/Walbro pump kit for impala tank in A-body--problem installing-dsc00682.jpg  

Last edited by Goldhawg; 12-29-2011 at 09:23 AM. Reason: figured out why my pic wouldn't load
Old 12-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TURBO BUICK
Aceshigh,I tried but your thread is closed. Rich.
It appears it's more important to protect paying sponsors then it is to inform and protect forum users seeking reviews.

That's web capitalism for ya.

Quick Reply: Racetronix/Walbro pump kit for impala tank in A-body--problem installing