Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DBW pedal mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default DBW pedal mod

Found a good spot on the firewall to mount the accelerator pedal bracket. As you can see in the first picture, the pedal needs to be relocated. I cut the arm and mocked up a new one using sheet aluminum (for a template).

It's in a good spot side-to-side but I want to make sure I do this right. I zip tied the pedal down tight then I used a screwdriver to rotate the upper part of the arm until it hits the back of the bracket simulating WOT.

Is this correct thinking? When I have the mocked up arm clamped in this position, the pedal seems pretty high off the floor. I think it will work OK, just wondered if anyone else has done this and if I was on the right track?

Thanks,

Joe
Attached Thumbnails DBW pedal mod-pedal-mod2.jpg   DBW pedal mod-pedal-mod1.jpg  
Old 12-30-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are on the right track. What you want to look out for is placement off the the floor as well as proximity to the brake pedal. You don't want to have to lift your foot to push the gas but also probably don't want to "reach" for the brakes. I measured where my stock G-body pedal sat and tried to get my modded gas pedal in relatively the same spot. To keep things looking stock-ish I used a stock G-body pedal and arm welded to the DBW sensor.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah your on the right track. My biggest problem with mine currently is that it is too close to the firewall. I need to space it out farther because like mentioned above I have to "lift" my foot to get to the brake pedal. It is sort of unnatural, sometimes my foot will hit the side of the brake pedal first instead of landing on the pedal. If that makes sense...
Old 12-30-2011, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Default my $.02...

Mine was too far off the floor. So, I hooked up the scanner, [EFILIVE], and put the pedal thru it's travel. I found I was getting 100% TPS before the pedal bottomed out.
I moved the arm closer to the floor, and still ended up making an adjustable stop screw on the base...
I also had a problem with the lever arm being so short that the throttle response was too touchy. I lengthened the arm 2". Works fine, now.
Attached Thumbnails DBW pedal mod-foot-pedal-latest-mod-004.jpg  
Old 12-30-2011, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone, this is really helpful!

I plan to buy the brake booster/pedal set up (under dash unit) soon, so I will wait until I have that to finish the pedal arm and get them lined up nice.

I've got plenty of other stuff to work on.......

Quick Reply: DBW pedal mod