Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Mustang 5.3L TH350 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you going to build that rear end or has it been beefed up i had troubles with my sn 95 mustang 8.8 i ended up putting 31 spline axles in it and the posi out of an explorer to beef it up cheap way to do it if you dont have a whole lot of cash to dump in the rear end like i did with my 02 s/c gt
Old 01-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Teching In

He shouldn't have to upgrade his rear with a nearly stock 5.3 swap.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:15 PM
8 Second Club

For now it will be stock but it wont be long before it gets a spool and 33 spline axles.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by toom1h
He shouldn't have to upgrade his rear with a nearly stock 5.3 swap.
His nearly stock 5.3 should be good for 11's though.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:46 PM

gotta love the mini spool and 33 spline axle combo that baby hooks nice i had mine done by moser had the 9 in ends on it hardened axles mini spool love the combo ill be keeping an eye on this thread i loved those sn94-95 i wish i still had mine but a plus to getting a v-6 stang is all the street scene peeps will think its a sally till all they see is your tail lights when u take off
Old 01-22-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you snap a couple more pics of the fuse box showing how its mounted? I relocated mine but am not real satisfied with the result. Looks like you were able to re-use the factory mounting bracket, I obviously spent too much time making a custom mount when it wasn't necessary.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:18 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by boostnut
Can you snap a couple more pics of the fuse box showing how its mounted? I relocated mine but am not real satisfied with the result. Looks like you were able to re-use the factory mounting bracket, I obviously spent too much time making a custom mount when it wasn't necessary.
I didn't take any pics of the mount. Basically all I did was use the bolt hole the factory horns used. There was a hole in the fuse box bracket that I opened up a little bigger to fit that bolt and then I added a second hole with a small bolt/nut to keep the fuse box bracket from spinning. I'll try and get a pic from another angle tomorrow.

Originally Posted by 78supersport
His nearly stock 5.3 should be good for 11's though.
Yes exactly. My big thing is just to get the car drivable. Before it sees a track or the transbrake the rear end will be built. I've been through enough parts over the years to know better than to leave it alone.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:50 PM

Nice build! im gonna be doing the same thing but to a foxbody this summer!

where are you going to put the shifter for the tranny?
Old 01-28-2012, 05:44 PM
8 Second Club

Actually I just got to the shifter this evening as I lost day light. From what I've seen on the fox body you can mount it in the stock location with little trouble. On the SN cars it seems to work best mounted approximately where the cup holders are located like it is in this car.

AutoInstall020.jpg?t=1241840787

This week was very unproductive for me as I came down with a cold that kicked my *** most of the week so I made zero progress till today. I wrapped up the brake lines, secured the new lines and make sure they weren't going to rub anything. Battery cable and Holley power/ground cables have been run although I need to extend the Holley power/ground cables still. I finished the mount I made for the Holley ECU.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Regular

So what's involved in removing the pass. side air bag? Looks like a perfect spot to mount an ecu. Are you able to replace the original dash panel to make it look like it was never touched?
Old 01-29-2012, 05:43 PM
8 Second Club

If I remember right it's just two bolts from behind the dash and the electrical connections. The front is like rubber and velcro holds it in. Once it's disconnected you pull it straight out.

The airbag cover is attached to the airbag so you could cut it off but that kills the value of the airbag. Most just sell them and buy a delete panel. I got the carpet done and put a couple pieces in and held the delete panel up so you get the idea of what it will look like. I have the charcoal paint to paint that panel and a couple other black parts to match the newer color.

The panel is a pretty tight fit. I had to hold it in that picture or it would just fall. Some velcro it in but it would need to be trimmed down to fit better as it has too much tension on it. Another option is to screw it in at the corners, that's what most racers do. I'm not sure which route I'll go yet I don't really want to put screws in it.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

Lookin good, where did you pick up the delete panel? Gonna need one if I want to hide my ecu.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:03 PM
8 Second Club

This is where I got mine.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-p...ag-delete.html
Old 01-29-2012, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks! Never would have guessed it to be $90, I guess I could sell the removed airbag to offset the cost.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:43 PM
8 Second Club

This place also makes but it's abs plastic, not really factory looking but covers the hole.

http://www.rearseatdelete.com/products.html

Took a trip to the junkyard to look for the rest of the pieces I'm missing for the interior and got almost everything I needed. Door panels are in great shape although the vinyl is loose in the pocket but for this kind of car it is perfect. Only thing I'm missing is steering wheel, which I'm going back for tomorrow with the right tools and center radio bezel, which I have a 94 that I can paint and use instead if need be. Best of all is what you see cost me $47.

This past week I've been working on little things here and there. New U joints in the driveshaft, got exact measurements for the exhaust I want to run. Trimmed out the center console for the B&M shifter and made a CAD drawing for the shifter bezel. Removed wiper motor and fixed the cowl pieces. Test fitted the radiator and hoses I got.

I also got the Holley fuel system parts and gauges on order so I can get started on that next weekend. I have something in the works to mount the alternator. I may also have to make a change with the intake. I wanted to run the truck intake but I found out the hole in the top is where the Vortec cover bolts to and was broke off. I could try epoxying a piece of plastic in there but given the hood clearance issue already I think it might be time to just give up and buy an LS6 intake. The downside to that is my 36lb truck injectors won't work, I'll need fuel rails and another throttle body, which drives the cost up well beyond the $350 they sell for used.

I went back this morning and got the leather wrapped steering wheel for $9.99. Had a bit of an incident with some others that were pissed I was taking it but I got it none the less. Swapped out steering wheels and put the new door panels on.

I also got the shifter mostly installed. All the holes are drilled but since it's not sitting on a flat surface I have to make some angled spacers and buy two longer bolts to tighten it down the rest of the way but with two bolts in I was able to test fit the console and bezel template.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Looking dang good brother! Im digging the dash and the holley mounting, i will probably have to steal that idea if ya dont mind

Oh, Benefit of using the truck manifold, you get to use the factory 4 point coolant cross over, which is a big plus when you start pouring in the power
Old 02-05-2012, 04:00 PM
8 Second Club

Thanks. Doesn't bother me if you use it.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loving it. I want to do an SN95 LSx swap when I get a garage.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:09 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Guitar
Loving it. I want to do an SN95 LSx swap when I get a garage.
I was I had room in my garage to work on this. I might actually be done by now if I didn't have to work on this on weekends only.

Made my own gauge cluster today using the stock parts and some ABS plastic. I took the stock cluster apart and cut the back off it just leaving the outside frame with the mounting points. Then a template of the front and laid out the holes for the gauges. I really wanted to put the tach in the dash but it wouldn't clear everything. To fill in the gap between the gauge panel and cluster bezel I took the lens cover apart and gutted it out so once it's in it looks cleaner.

With the left over plastic I made a shifter bezel plate to finish off the factory shifter opening.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

What oil pan are you useing and how much did you pay for the car?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 94 Mustang 5.3L TH350 Swap