Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Need some help car won't start

Not sure if this is the "correct" section to post this in but I think I would probably get the most help here. I have a 98 Formula with a repinned harness to work with the 02 pcm. I finally got the car back together and tried to turn it on and it turns over but will not fire up. I have checked my fuses and none are popped. With the key in the run position and cranking I have power at the coils but when I check for spark by sticking a screwdriver into one of the spark plug wires and looking for an arc while cranking I have no spark.

Other than repinning the harness I noticed that my ckp sensor harness/plug one of the wires(don't remember which one but will look tomorrow) looked to have been cut and only had 2 or 3 strands of wire still connected so I cut it, stripped the ends, soldered and heat shrunk it back together. I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow and make sure it didn't mess up again.

I checked the inj fuses and all other fuses in the fuse boxes in the engine bay and they all light up with a test light. When I turn the key to the run position i can hear the pump prime. I had to remake a section of my return line from the rail to reg and plenty of fuel came out but I'm not sure if it was from priming the pump or it the pump actually feeding gas while I attempted to start the car.

I asked my tuner when I dropped off the new 02 pcm to make sure vats was off but I might need to take it back to confirm it is in fact disabled. Even if it was enabled I think the car would still turn on and then cut off after a few seconds. I've also checked the connectors on the passengers side fender well and I have power at those wires.

If I have power at the coils with the key in the run position and while cranking could there just be no signal being sent to them to trigger them?

I checked the grounds on the back of the head and they are intact. I installed the motor from the bottom of the car and reloomed the harness while it was out of the car and nothing was in a bind so I don't believe I have broken any wires.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like something in the crank position circuit. Post when you try to start it after you finish the repair to the connector.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 01-04-2012, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks Jon. I'll take a look at it after work and see if it's intact. I don't recall if I just fixed the one wire or if I cut all the wires the same length then soldered. They are color coded but maybe I goofed and soldered them wrong.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Got the car started today. It was definitely attributed to the ckp. I did manage to insert the wires into the wrong cavities in the connector/plug.

Upon start up I had multiple codes being thrown.
P0102-PCM is setup for speed density so I think that is why I'm getting this
P0200-buddy figured this one out for me I had two wires in the wrong pin cavities on the PCM connector this has been resolved
P0352
P0353
P0355
P0358
P0645-car doesn't have ac not worried about this
P0740-car has a 4l80 conversion I think this and the code below need to be disabled to complete mynconversion
P0785-same as above
P1637

After troubleshooting we are down to 3 coil dtcs 353, 355, and 358. Cylinder 3 I believe is firing because the header tube was hot however cylinder 8 is cold and cylinder 5 doesn't feel as hot as the others. We checked continuity on all the wires from the PCM to the coil pack connector on the engine harness side, checked continuity for all wires on my coil pack harness, with the coil pack harness connected to the engine harness all wires checked out again. Checked for spark on cylinder 8 and there's I's none. Swapped plug wires, coils and same results.

Looking for some advice to get these coil codes to go away.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the injectors are powered all the time, and fire by the ground signal being applied from the pcm. do u have power at one pin on cyl 8?

this sounds like the wire is in the wrong position at the pcm.. an easy change.

Sam
Old 01-07-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sdetweil
the injectors are powered all the time, and fire by the ground signal being applied from the pcm. do u have power at one pin on cyl 8?

this sounds like the wire is in the wrong position at the pcm.. an easy change.

Sam
The crank sensor wires were in the wrong position at the connector by the sensor itself. Cavity "a" and "c" were crossed.

Yes, the injectors are powered all the time and the PCM grounds them to make them open. I got the p0200 figured out as the wires at the PCM connector were off one cavity.

How can you check the low reference voltage for the coils or what are the values we are suppose to be looking for? I believe coil wires are in the right cavities because when we check them according to the schematics I dont remember them being out of place. I think I would of noticed them not being the right spot, but I might have over looked that. We still have some more checking to do on the coil circuits.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Down to cylinder 5 and 8 not firing. There is no spark from either. From memory we swapped the spark plug wires to to two other coils that were firing and there was spark so the plug wires seemed to be ok, we also swapped the coil plug from a firing coil to the coil that doesn't seem to fire and we had spark. Kind of lost as two why these two don't have spark. I did put the noid light again on the injector plug on these two just reconfirm and the injectors do pulse
Old 01-08-2012, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Clogged or dirty injectors? If your noid lights are working you more than likely have a injector problem, especially if this engine sat for a long period of time, have you tried swapping injectors from known cylinders that are firing? That would be my next plan of attack.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't have any spark though on these two cylinders.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Probably unlikely to have 2 bad coils but have you tried swapping coils with known good ones? If that doesnt help then instead of doing the parts swapping guessing game it is time to start tracting wires and do some proper diagnostics. Good Luck

Last edited by lizeec; 01-11-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm going to borrow some other coils and try them out. I had some spares laying around but still had no spark coming out the spark plug wire. I doubt they could also be bad but i will try to get some different ones. Already checked for continuity from from plug end to plug end on the coil pack harness, also checked from the pcm connector to the coil pack harness on the engine harness side and also plugged in the coil pack harness to the engine harness coil pack connector and continuity checks out. I have power and ground just no spark.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Staging Lane

well, using the 99- PCM diagrams..

cyl 5 http://lt1swap.com/pictures/fig_5.gif
cly 8 http://lt1swap.com/pictures/fig_4.gif

shows those two cyls are controlled by PCM pins 68 & 66 respectively..

are those wires (repinned u said) in the right places? and good?

Sam
Old 01-10-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Got it figured out. The pins were stretched open in the plugs going into the coils. I noticed when I went to unplug it while the car was running and got a little zap as I pulled the plug out. I took a pick and pushed down on the pins to make them snug again and all cylinders now fire and no more coil codes.

Quick Reply: Need some help car won't start