Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Foxbody Thunderbird Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foxbody Thunderbird Swap

I was contemplating a Si Vortech for my 306/aod Tbird, but a friend talked me into an LS swap. Been reading on here, and other sites like crazy for a few weeks. My 306/aod is being sold tomorrow, and Im trying to get things out of the way that I can before I make a decision on 5.3/6.0/dbc/dbw, etc.

Looking at K members, I personally would think the 4.6 mounts would be a better choice vs the small purpose built LS K's that have mounts that look more appropriate as rack bushings. Going aftermarket tubular either way, just a question of purpose built ls, or mod motor to fox k plus ls plates like what upr/dirty dingo sells. I like the idea of the Dirty Dingo adjustability.

This being a fox chassis Tbird, Ive always had to wrestle with Mustang parts that "should fit, no problem".

I havent stumbled upon any Fox Bird swaps, have you guys?

Any input on header clearance, etc on the k member choice? Strongly leaning towards Dynatech, unless budget runs out and I just pop on some TBSS, or 2010 camaro factory "headers".

Once I start spending money, I plan on documenting every dime, and every headache possible. It seems like people highlight the same issues, but gloss over stuff when the project comes to an end because they are more worried about finishing than reporting.

Last edited by mtgmike; 01-11-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's a fox chassis t-bird, you may want to focus on the fox mustang LS swaps for your research. Yes your "should fit, no problem" issues will most likely continue even with an LS swap, because a fox body t-bird is just a tad different. But not so different that it doesn't apply.

While you're researching the install, also check out the engine internal sections in this forum. Should help you decide how you're gonna go for your engine set-up.

Tranny selection is easy: Manual (t-56) or Auto (4L-80E)
Old 01-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Looks like Im going to use a hybrid of these two mounts, type 6 and type 9 from ChuckW + some 4.6 plates(upr/dd)

http://www.turbochuck.com/motormounts/

I was assuming I "had" to swap Kmembers until I remembered Chucks mounts. FYI, Fox Thunderbirds have unique K members with mounts that are not compatible with Fox Mustangs. Still need to make sure the rear K member clearance is similar enough to Mustangs to allow Mustang BRP headers...
Old 01-11-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm LOVING this swap - just imagining the "WTF" looks you'll get from the Ford guys when you pop the hood...
Old 01-11-2012, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
I'm LOVING this swap - just imagining the "WTF" looks you'll get from the Ford guys when you pop the hood...
I always get a lot of WTF when I pass people and even more when I pop the hood.

I'm not sure how much it helps but my but my build thread is in my signature.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Thats a cool build.

I wasnt aware of the ps pressure difference. I think everybody just has a hose made and goes down the road. Thanks for the tip. I stared at the car, Kmember, and took some measurements this morning before work. Im sure its fine, but the differences in the Tbird to Mustang K have me a tad nervous. Chuck W makes those mounts on the side, and doesnt have any in stock, so Ill have to be patient. Family friend is going to a salvage auction today to look for a LY6 for me. Fingers crossed...
Old 01-12-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the compliment. If you build yours we will probably be the only two people crazy enough to do it.

I've never seen an aftermarket Thunderbird K-member. I have been told the "fox" body stuff will work but I have never seen the underside of both cars of proper year nor have I seen a Thunderbird fitted with one. If they do swap, it would save you a lot of time and effort measuring and fabricating. I wasn't so lucky.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Mounts are here. Finally, first real parts to get me motivated. Been sidetracked(4 month old son). Still planning on using these plus upr plates. Never heard from family friend on a ly6, guess Ill start calling carpart.com leads.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:58 PM

Keep the updates coming I'm also planning a Fox thunderbird swap with 5.3 a s475 turbo and a th400 I was thinking about using the Fox aje cross member but I'm not sure how it would line up
Old 02-03-2015, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have not worked on any Thunderbirds, but I have worked on a lot of the fox Lincoln LSCs. If the fox era Mark7 LSC and the Tbird are the same chassis, then the fox Mustang k member will essentially bolt in. I have done this in many Mark7 LSCs, but the last time I worked on an LSC was 10 years ago. I believe the k member bolts in directly, but a spacer may be required on either the front or rear mounts, I just can't remember, it's been a long time. Spacers are simple.

Mark7 LSC engine bays are narrower than Mustang engine bays, the strut towers were slightly different. I also believe the steering column and steering shaft were slightly different but it has been so long I really can't remember.

Wait, I just realized the OP was from 2012. Not much point in continuing I guess.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:57 PM

[QUOTE=usdmholden;18649370]I have not worked on any Thunderbirds, but I have worked on a lot of the fox Lincoln LSCs. If the fox era Mark7 LSC and the Tbird are the same chassis, then the fox Mustang k member will essentially bolt in. I have done this in many Mark7 LSCs, but the last time I worked on an LSC was 10 years ago. I believe the k member bolts in directly, but a spacer may be required on either the front or rear mounts, I just can't remember, it's been a long time. Spacers are simple.

Mark7 LSC engine bays are narrower than Mustang engine bays, the strut towers were slightly different. I also believe the steering column and steering shaft were slightly different but it has been so long I really can't remember.

Wait, I just realized the OP was from 2012. Not much point in continuing I guess.[/QUOTE

It wasn't pointless I'm about to do this swap and thank you for the info on the aje
Old 06-13-2015, 08:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mtgmike

Mounts are here. Finally, first real parts to get me motivated. Been sidetracked(4 month old son). Still planning on using these plus upr plates. Never heard from family friend on a ly6, guess Ill start calling carpart.com leads.
Hey how did your build turn out and what was your exhaust setup. I'm not trying to get the mounts from turbo chuck but I'm going on two months.

Quick Reply: Foxbody Thunderbird Swap