Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking out loud, would like some ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 08:15 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default thinking out loud, would like some ideas.

i have an idea i may try this summer. my car is broke and has been down for a while. for a little back ground before i get asked why why why, i got this car when i joined the navy and it was my first car ever to buy myself and pay out in full. its a 97 4dr civic. now i could spend thousands of dollar and make it very fast, and be another fast *** 4 banger but i like rear wheel drive and ls power. so i'm thinking of tearing into this guy. but first i need to do some home work and thats why i'm in this section right now.

i've seen guys do this and the seem to always go IRS. but i'm thinking more along the lines of 4link or the like and a striaght axle. now i understand 4-link for the most part but what i don't get is the torque arm thing the camaros use and why they use it. do you have to have this for a propper 4-link? am i missing something. never seen it on a truck so...

thanks for the help. either way this will probably happen so telling me not to is just gonna make me wanna do it more. phump

i'd like to make a note that i have never actually looked at a camaro suspension. and in my research as of like two minutes ago, it looks like the camaro does not actually use a 4 link.

Last edited by TURBHOE; 01-12-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:20 PM
12 Second Truck Club

maybe i should note, its not going to be a road course type car. more for drag and some curves here and there on the streets. florida doesn't have many curves to speak of. but back home i like to hit some twisties up the mountains.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:45 PM
TECH Regular

look up member "civette"

and the guy doing the turbo focus. Civette used a cut up vette frame, turbo focus is more what you are thinking about. Enough tube and welding skill and anything can be done
Old 01-07-2012, 11:51 PM
TECH Regular

there is also a ford focut that has ben converted to RWD its called WTFocus
Old 01-08-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

The four link does not require a torque arm. But it does require a centering arm. I'm doing something similar but just have not had time to work on it the past 2 years.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:18 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I seen civette but I don't wanna go that route. I want to keep my back seats. And don't wanna put the motor under the dash. Lol

So if I go three/torque arm I could probably have a better chance of keeping my back seats. I'm think for the lower links I can reinforce and use my mounting points from my trailing arms.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:10 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Rick Speed
The four link does not require a torque arm. But it does require a centering arm. I'm doing something similar but just have not had time to work on it the past 2 years.
will you be able to keep your back seats in this? or do you even want to keep the back seats? just wondering what your goal is with the car is all. looks like a fun project.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

I wanted to keep the back seat but once I got into it I realized it just wasn't going to happen. Now it's just goi g to get tinted windows so no one can see they are missing lol
Old 01-09-2012, 06:58 PM
12 Second Truck Club

maybe a pair of racing buckets, one on each side of the driveshaft tunnel. lol if i were any good at body work maybe i could just extend the wheel well back to move the axle back. then fill it with a nice size sticky tire.

Quick Reply: thinking out loud, would like some ideas.