Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some Arizonian input

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need some Arizonian input

Hello, I am about to start putting together a 72 Chevelle that will be driven in the State of Arizona.
Now my question is, What do I need to do in order to have it street legal emmisions wise?
The basic setup is as follows:
1972 Chevelle hardtop
2006 6.0 LSx engine, all stock internals with a mild cam 224-230, .581-.588, 112 lsa.; a GMPP single plane intake (EFI plumbed) with the stock DBW Throttle body, and full lenght headers.
The transmission is a T56 from an LS2.
I will use the stock PCM.
Now what do I need to pass the smog test and register the thing?
When I have taken older (pre OBD2) cars I only get put in the roller and never had an underhood inspection. Has that been just good luck or is that the norm.
Has of you running an LSx retrofit had a problem?
Do I need the EGR? AIR? Cannister? Fuel vent lines?
Any input will be way better now before I actually start wrenching on it.
I really appreciate any comments, even if you are not from Arizona
Thanks a lot
Rat Chevelle
Old 01-09-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just took my 74 Nova in for Emissions here in AZ. Ive got a stock internal LQ9 with the 555lift ZO6 cam, LS6 intake and truck DBW TB.

I have no EGR, No Evap canister, No Fuel Tank Vent.

I passed easily.

Hydrocarbons
Loaded Reading Loaded Standard
171 400
Idle Reading Idle Standard
239 400

Carbon monoxide
Loaded Reading Loaded Standard
.88 3.75
Idle Reading Idle Standard
.66 5.00

You should have no problem passing.
about 5 years ago i got my 71 Chevelle to pass with a Big Block with a very large cam.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

What County will you be registered to? If not in Maricopa county then there is no emissions required.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:18 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Make sure it has codes disabled for rear O2, EGR or other applicable ones that would set.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You only need to pass the emissions requirements for the model year of the vehicle. Therefore, my '67 only needs to meet '67 requirements, which is pretty easy with a LS engine. One time the tech was going to pop my hood, and I'm like "nahuh, you don't need to do that" and he agreed.

Of course there's also just the collector car insurance route if you don't want to deal with emissions at all.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will be registered for Maricopa.
I thought that you were required to pass either car or engine, whichever was newer, I believe I was told so by a tech guy. Of course they need not know what lies under the hood?
Then the whole E-Rod series of engines is mainly focused at California, right?
Thanks a lot for the input. I will use the CarCraft Chevelle in a day for inspiration... My own 70 Chevelle has been neglected for months (but that will be registered in Mexico, where no emmisions aply of any kind, and then I also have to get working on a customer's 72 Chevelle, which will be registered in Maricopa.
Thanks again
Rat Chevelle
Old 01-10-2012, 02:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I called some guy that works for the state in the dept responsible for the emissions and he said headers were fine as long as all 4 O2 sensors were used in the proper locations ,,,,,,,,I've lived here all My life and in the past I know alot of poeple would say that the testing stations in south Phx area were pretty relaxed and would'nt check that stuff anbd in My experience the station at 23rd ave just south of peoria has generally been by the book . That guy I talked to also said that whatever was on the engine originally that year was supposed to be on the engine in You're vehicle it's in now ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,truck engine ,,,,,,no smog pump but egr ,,,,,,,,,would depend on which testing place You go and maybe hit and miss . Good luck
Old 01-10-2012, 03:45 AM
Launching!

Here in Denver i was told that the emissions standards were to the newer engine... SO i needed to have all the emissions components for the donor engine. So my car being a 85 would be put in the every two years inspected bracket.. i am no longer allowed to get collector plates...i have a 99 LS1 which has EGR, air pump,4 o2 sensors etc etc...damn tree huggers!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Staging Lane

Im in Tucson....I have an 82 Mustang GT with 2004 Mach 1 drivetrain. Granted, my Mustang is newer than your Chevelle, but I failed due to it not having an air pump. Even though the emissions were almost zero! I had to go through the referee to have it "passed" where he connected to the OBD and looked for codes. A little frustrating.

The next year I got collectors insurance.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

I've recently put my '88 Jag with a 5.3L LM7 through emissions with no problem.

You only need the car to show the same emissions equipment as the model year of car, not the motor. All the DTCs for 'emission readyness' don't matter because they are not looking for the OBD2 plug - there was no such thing in 1972 (or '88 for that matter).

The V12 that came out of my Jag had an airpump and EGR, but they didn't ask to inspect either of those things (and my motor doesn't have them) and my car went through three times. They looked for cats and if my gas cap and vapor recovery system (failed the gas cap test once and the CO test once due to an air leak, then passed)

In general, if you go to have it tested, I wouldn't say anything about the retrofit unless I was asked. Frankly, most of the techs there wouldn't know the difference between an LS motor and a BB and won't be looking for much on a 1972
Old 01-10-2012, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chrisfrost
I called some guy that works for the state in the dept responsible for the emissions and he said headers were fine as long as all 4 O2 sensors were used in the proper locations ,,,,,,,,I've lived here all My life and in the past I know alot of poeple would say that the testing stations in south Phx area were pretty relaxed and would'nt check that stuff anbd in My experience the station at 23rd ave just south of peoria has generally been by the book . That guy I talked to also said that whatever was on the engine originally that year was supposed to be on the engine in You're vehicle it's in now ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,truck engine ,,,,,,no smog pump but egr ,,,,,,,,,would depend on which testing place You go and maybe hit and miss . Good luck
This is the station that passed my Nova, they looked under the hood for about 2 seconds then continued with the test. No Cats, only front O2's they didnt ask anything. Just hooked up the exhaust and ran it on the rollers. I asked if there was a way to make it so they only have to hook up the OB scanner, they said no, it goes by the car.

Quick Reply: Need some Arizonian input