Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 + 4L80 in 89 Notch

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LQ4 + 4L80 in 89 Notch

So the stang is gutted..... cage, mini tubs, and sub frame connectors are being installed. AJE k-member is install with motor and the 4L80. The cross member for the trans is in progress. My question to all you guys out there is how are you setting up the drive shaft?

any input as to length, u-joints, yokes would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jason
Old 01-09-2012, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

What I have done in the past was to get the engine and trans installed or mocked up with all the mounts bolted in place. Then you measure from the back of the trans tail shaft to the flange on the 8.8 rear end. Take that measurement and the old stock drive shaft to a local drive shaft shop along with an output yoke from the trans if you have one. Most of these shops will take about a half of inch or inch off from the back of the drive shaft to the bulge in the front yoke leaving the spline section of the shaft far enough on the output shaft. This way you can push the drive shaft in all the way and then back to the rear end so it wont bind. The shop will use the mustang rear flange and the chevy front flange and make a nice piece for around $300. Everyones set up is different and motor placement and trans lengths change everything. So measure twice and let the driveshaft shop do the math.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Im thinking pictures are needed Desperately!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

im cheating, i had a sbf in my stang backed by a glide so i made my motor mounts off the trans mount so i could use my old d/s. if i were you this is what i would do.......

if using stock 8.8 flat flange take if off old d.s and bolt onto the rear. put the u joint holes level from driver to pass side and have suspension loaded(jackstands under the rear). take the front slip yoke off the old d.s and again install it on the trans with the u joint holes level from side to side. bottom the slip yoke out in the trans and then pull it towards the rear of the car by 7/8''( ive seen people do 3/4'' to 1'' so i go in the middle). now for your measurement.........i have a helper hold the yoke at the proper depth and then measure center to center on the u-joint holes and thats your length