Sponsored by:

LS1 fit and brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:40 AM
cgo
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 fit and brakes

I've searched, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Appreciate teh assistance or if a thread already exists, please point me in the right direction.

I'm planning on putting an LS1 into my 65 Chevelle. I currently have a new 11" brake booster. Will the LS1 fit with this booster and will it even work since the booster uses vacuum? Can I use this or did I just waste some cash getting this brake system? I was planning on using a SBC, but have since changed my mind since I have a relatively clean slate.

Also, I'm planning on mating the LS1 to my rebuilt and upgraded Muncie 4sp so that I won't have to make trans tunnel modifications. There are kits available to do this. Any issues with engine setback or etc?

What oil pan should I use so that I won't need to alter the crossmember? I won't be using power steering or AC.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-12-2012, 04:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a bit like apples & oranges, but I have a 67 Camaro, Hooker motor plates, LS1 & an 11 inch booster.
The motor plates leave plenty of room for the booster, and wiper motor, and the vacuum port from the LS1 is at the back of the engine and goes directly to the booster.
I'm running out to the garage right now to measure from the center of the engine, to the center of the booster....
several minutes later>>>>
there is exactly 16 1/2" from the center of the engine, to the center of the
"11" booster.
That leaves about 2" between the edge of the booster & the driver's head. Keep in mind that the head is somewhat lower than the booster.
As a comparison, check out engine bay photos from my build from the link below.
About the Muncie...Hooker claims that their motor plates put the engine in exactly the same spot as a SBC (which I prev had). Also, keep in mind that the plates I bought correspond to my Camaro. If plates are made specifically for your Chevelle, then your LS1 prob will be placed exactly where a SBC was. In this scenario, when you mate your Muncie to the LS1, the shift lever will come through the floor pretty much where it did previously.
If you decide to pursue the Hooker's, just make sure that the Hooker's were engineered for your car, and that Hooker says that they'll put the LS1 where the SBC was.
I used the unaltered oilpan. The Hooker plates also allowed me to use my unaltered oilpan with no interference.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by gMAG; 01-12-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:36 PM
cgo
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gMAG, that helps tremendously, thank you! As I'm still familiarizing myself with the LS engines, I wasn't sure about the vacuum set up. I will definitely check into Hooker mounts as well as a few other install kits I'm looking at.

Again, I appreciate the information!!

Dan

Originally Posted by gMAG
This is a bit like apples & oranges, but I have a 67 Camaro, Hooker motor plates, LS1 & an 11 inch booster.
The motor plates leave plenty of room for the booster, and wiper motor, and the vacuum port from the LS1 is at the back of the engine and goes directly to the booster.
I'm running out to the garage right now to measure from the center of the engine, to the center of the booster....
several minutes later>>>>
there is exactly 16 1/2" from the center of the engine, to the center of the
"11" booster.
That leaves about 2" between the edge of the booster & the driver's head. Keep in mind that the head is somewhat lower than the booster.
As a comparison, check out engine bay photos from my build from the link below.
About the Muncie...Hooker claims that their motor plates put the engine in exactly the same spot as a SBC (which I prev had). Also, keep in mind that the plates I bought correspond to my Camaro. If plates are made specifically for your Chevelle, then your LS1 prob will be placed exactly where a SBC was. In this scenario, when you mate your Muncie to the LS1, the shift lever will come through the floor pretty much where it did previously.
If you decide to pursue the Hooker's, just make sure that the Hooker's were engineered for your car, and that Hooker says that they'll put the LS1 where the SBC was.
I used the unaltered oilpan. The Hooker plates also allowed me to use my unaltered oilpan with no interference.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: LS1 fit and brakes