Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building the right engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building the right engine

Hi guys,

Lurker here, decided to register as I have a question that I was hoping y'all could help me answer.

I'm planning my FD RX7 LS swap, and I previously had a LS1 from a camaro, and being in BC, Canada they are pretty expensive, I got laid off and had some family issues, so I sold the engine for a decent profit.

Now I'm ready to find another engine to build and my problem is finding one. LS1s themselves are hard to come by and people are asking around $3500 for one, which I'm not willing to pay just yet.

So I'm thinking of building a truck based motor and am not quite sure where to start. Obviously I'd like to do it cheaply, and have only one requirement and that is that the block is aluminum, I guess this limits my choices?

5.7 or 6.0 would be the easiest to get my hands on I guess, and I'll be buying parts from ebay or wherever and getting them shipped up here.

So if anyone could point me in the right direction in what to start looking for that would be handy, I'm unaware of exactly what truck blocks were aluminum in 5.7 form. 6.0L was the L76 from the escalade and denali if I'm right?

So i'll need:

Block - ?
Heads - ?
Intake - LS6 seems to be the favorite?

Big first post and probably a frequently asked question I guess! Thanks tho!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

The only truck engine thats aluminum is the L33/ later/earlier variant, 5.3. And the new escalade 6.2?
No trucks came with gen III/IV 5.7s., just iron 4.8/5.3/6.0, ally 5.3, and cad ally 6.2. LS2's came in trailblazer ss.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:44 PM

Right, thanks.

I'm seeing L33s on ebay for $1500 complete, whats the best process to build an LSx out of that? What heads/intake would I use and is there any internals that need upgrading?
Old 01-15-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a 5.3, you can bore it out to 5.7L specs, but that will (of course) require new pistons. I'm pretty sure that the "sticky" posts at the top of the "Internal Engines" forums will answer a lot of the questions you have. Also, maybe check out this forum as well...

And an LS-powered RX-7 should be a BEAST!! Hope to read about it on here soon!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option to consider if you want an alloy block, but want to keep your cost down....

http://sdparts.com/details/gm-perfor...parts/12623967
http://sdparts.com/details/gm-perfor...parts/12561166

Buy just a brand new LS3/LS1 block, then source a vortec truck block (any size but the 4.8, short stroke crank in that one) from a local salvage yard for the rest of the parts you need. All you really need to do is buy pistons for the block you get. Bet if you look long enough you can find one for under $500.00 with everything from oil pan to intake.

Or you could go the route I went and look for an LS1 that will need a rebuild. There is always the chance you"ll have to spend the $$$ to get it resleeved, but I picked up my short block for $100.00.

Quick Reply: Building the right engine