Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F100 / ls6

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F100 / ls6

Quick run down of my project, I've pasted notes from the Lateral G forum to explain a bit about the F100 and the how's and why's

I started doing this to another type of chassis, it ended up be considered by the Licencing Engineers an individual build because of the chassis mods. This is where the money pit started with torsion tests before and after the frame was modified. I fitted the ZR1 brakes to it and when the Engineer saw those he told me im not allowed to run them because I did not have ABS braking fitted. I sold the chassis to guy in another state who is finding it easier to get licenced.

SO WITH MY SPARE PARTS i STARTED THE f100.

Reading the law that my licencing state has with modified cars I found a loop hole on chassis mods. It says a chassis must not be cut at any point from the cab forward. The rear section is allowed to be modified, ie lengthed etc...

I asked my engineer about replacing crossmembers he said no welded crossmember where allowed to be removed. I asked what if they where bolted and riveted to the chassis? He said yes I can remove and replace them. I asked can I bolt another subframe / cradle between the chassis rails. He said yes.

I asked if I was allowed to modify the chassis behind the cab, he said yes as long as the chassis rails where boxed and strengthed where they have been cut.

So with there restrictions the F100 build has started. I'll be pushing the law with a hole in the chassis for the steering arms to run thru, the law says im not allowed to cut the chassis, nothing about punching a 4 inch hole thru it.

As you can see from the blueprints below im only changing the crossmembers on the chassis and doing a reverse Z on the rear rails bringing the rear rail width down from 37 odd inches to the Corvettes 32 inch rear cradle width. I need to make this chassis look stock so except for the crossmembers and boxing the chassis the original chassis profile will remain the same.

Sometimes you have to build cars to the law, Im not sure what its like in the USA it seems you guys have more freedom to make anythying. I'd luv to build a custom chassis like Roger, Ron, Garage Dog and others have done with the Corvette drivetrain but it would sit in the garage and never be driven. (Driving an illegal car in Western Australia, $1000 fine and they impound the car for a month) Sometimes you gotta comply with BIG BROTHER........

Sorry about the long answer I hope that explains what I am doing and why im doing it.

I picked the F100 up mid December 2011, some pic's of whats been done in a month.

As I brought it

Stripping the F100

The rails I started with.

Setting up the rails on a chassis table, marking out where the cradle will sit.

Mocking up suspension.

Narrowed the rear rails 6 inches joining them and fabing crossmembers and boxing the chassis this week.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some good friends in the Queensland area. The LAW there sucks when applied to custom cars. You guys do have some sweet cars that you can buy from the factory compared to us. Looking good..
Old 01-14-2012, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow! awesome swap! im in for some more info on this bad boy!

BUILT FORD TUFF WITH CHEVY STUFF!

lol. im helping a friend with a 5.3 swap in a 52 f1
Old 01-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

The drivetrain is a ZO6 Corvette
Brakes are ZO6
Rims will be front 20x10 rear 20x13
Tires 275/35/20 fronts 345/25/20 rears

Rolling Chassis

Lengthed torque tube, it as a Carbon fibre driveshaft.

Using a VE / G8 RHD rack modified to suited the corvette cradle.

Factory Exhaust /cats clear the frame and sit level with the lowest part of the frame.

Sorry not a clear pic but this shows how the Suspension cradle mounts between the F100 frame rails (its mocked up in the pic) The cradle can be removed from underneath, this allows the F100 to have 5 inches ground clearance from the lowest part of the frame.

Last edited by Thomo5150; 01-14-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

Cabs being worked on this weekend, Body mods will include

67-72 Front sheetmetal fitted.
Doors to be shaved the recess filled in 67-72 Door handles fitted.
LWB Tub skin welded to the door jam creating a unibody. Only the outer skins and the tailgate will be used mounted to a lite weight frame.
Front fenders welder on cowl gap filled.

Photo shop covering ride height and most of the mods.

Cab being moved home.

Crossmembers being built now, marking out radiator position.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up

Subscribing.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

very cool truck project!

Quick Reply: F100 / ls6