Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 90 fox hatch t56 need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 90 fox hatch t56 need advice

hey guys, new here to gm stuff and new to ls1tech. im over on theturboforums all the time (stangboy86), thats where i got the inspiration for this project, and my buddy is footing the bill. we will post a build thread as we go along. so far we have a pretty much stock 90 mustang gt with 109k on the clock. car is white with black interior. we picked up an lm7 5.3 out of a truck. so far we plan on going carb'd for its simplicity and standard transmission. it will be na for now and possibly boosted in the future. got a couple questions for the more experienced guys here:
truck manifolds work?
t56? or should be go tko trans? if t56 which one? camaro, gto, or vette?
clutch cable or hydraulic?
summit or jegs intake and msd box.. any complaints?
local guy will customize driveshaft.
i will build exhaust and trans crossmember if needed.

the idea is a nice fast chevy powered street car.
i'll post pics later on. thanks in advance for the help guys. i will keep a detailed build thread to hopefully help others figure this stuff out
Old 01-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Teching In

ok project going a different direction, just picked up an 02 ls1 and mildly built t56. plan is to keep the efi instead of going carb. any advice on the best way to make the efi and hydraulic clutch work would be appreciated. not sure if megasquirt is the way to go... seen someone else morf a camaro harness into a fox, dash cluster and all. and advantages to doing it this way?
just looking for someone to help point me in the right direction. thanks
pete
Old 01-22-2012, 08:54 PM
8 Second Club

For the efi you might want to look at the Holley efi hp thats what I got for my swap.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not just keep the stock efi setup, have the ecm flashed and pick up a harness from psiconversions or someone similar? Is the holley efi setup beneficial for a stock or relatively stock motor? Seems like a big chunk of change for the application.

What do you want for gauges? Stock fox, aftermarket, or camaro cluster? From what I understand psi conversion can make your harness easily adapt to a camaro cluster, that's the route I'm going, the ford gauges are fugley.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

As boostnut stated, our standalone harness would work the engine and transmission independently of the Mustang Harness. We provide gage output as well. Give us a call or PM us to discuss specifics. Thanks.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 01-23-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

I have a lot of neat things I did to my 93 Mustang. I have a t56, converted it to hydraulic clutch, modified the fuel system, and such. check out my photobucket.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:56 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by zipster
I have a lot of neat things I did to my 93 Mustang. I have a t56, converted it to hydraulic clutch, modified the fuel system, and such. check out my photobucket.
hey do you have a sway bar on there. I would love to put mine back on, as I have cold a/c. mind sharing how you did it. thanks
Old 01-23-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bowtiedford
hey do you have a sway bar on there. I would love to put mine back on, as I have cold a/c. mind sharing how you did it. thanks
Make spacers to lower the sway bar. I think they were 1 1/2 inches. used wood spacers first then used steel. Someone posted they used a sway bar from a 4.6 sn95 Mustang, but I cannot confirm this.

found the link

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ybar-pics.html
Old 01-24-2012, 12:52 AM
Teching In

wow guys these are the answers i am looking for. i think my buddys main concern is being able have working gauges and a working speedometer especially. he is not opposed to using a camaro cluster. def gotta get with psiconversion... thanks a ton guys and keep the advice coming. i will post pics in the next week or two once i get whats left of the car here.. my buddy pulled the motor, trans, interior, and nose off it. gonna start with beefing the torque boxes, welding subframe connectors, and k member swap. aje k member and mounts seem to be the way to go
Old 01-24-2012, 12:57 AM
Teching In

zipster the pics look great! that car must be a blast! how did you get the clutch to work? i have everything out of a camaro, pedals, master, slave, etc...
Old 01-24-2012, 06:04 AM
9 Second Club

I use the stock gauges, only thing not working is the speedo. Just have to get a different tail shaft piece
Old 01-25-2012, 12:08 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,096 Likes on 720 Posts

Holley HP EFI is $1500 on Summit Racing. Compared to getting a custom harness, stock pcm, tuning software you can easily get to over $1200... Plus Holley HP will self-tune which I think is pretty cool.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bowtiedford
I use the stock gauges, only thing not working is the speedo. Just have to get a different tail shaft piece
i was thinking its no prob to use the ford sending units for oil press and temp in the gm motor.. using adapters if necessary. by "tail shaft piece" you mean the adapter that goes into the tranny? anybody making adapters for this?
Old 01-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Holley HP EFI is $1500 on Summit Racing. Compared to getting a custom harness, stock pcm, tuning software you can easily get to over $1200... Plus Holley HP will self-tune which I think is pretty cool.
we already have the stock pcm. i thought if worse came to worse i could do megasquirt pretty cheap?
Old 01-27-2012, 07:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Unless you are building a big turbo/blower motor, or making insane horsepower, why wouldnt you stick with the factory electronics? Aftermarket systems DO have their place, however, when it comes to anything BUT an insane combination, it is more than capable, easier to tune and extremely reliable. Just my 2 cents.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 02-12-2012, 01:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by psiconversion
Unless you are building a big turbo/blower motor, or making insane horsepower, why wouldnt you stick with the factory electronics? Aftermarket systems DO have their place, however, when it comes to anything BUT an insane combination, it is more than capable, easier to tune and extremely reliable. Just my 2 cents.

Jon
PSI
i dont disagree. we are looking to squeeze what we can out of a stockish combo. i prefer to go efi for two reasons, its my buddys car and he is a body guy, not a mechanic, and i know the car will be more enjoyable for him to drive with the efi. second reason is so i can show him it is possible to do without being a huge headache... he looks at the pics on the internet of some of the projects and sees all the wires and gets scared. like i said we already have the entire harness out of the 2000 truck, ecm and all. it would be nice if we could use it and not have to break the bank.
forgot to mention, may be going back to plan a.. 5.3 truck engine except def want to keep her efi... deal on the lsi looks like it may fall through

any thoughts on a good cam.. efi stock lm7 engine, something that is proven
and maybe good if we go boosted later on

we picked up a t56 out of a (02 i think) camaro, got an ls7 flywheel, ls7 clutch, the pedal assembly, shifter, hydrolic master slave and line also out of the camaro. gotta figure out how to get it all working in the mustang.

also ordered the aje k member, ls1 mounts, t56 crossmember, torque box kits, and subframe connectors. car is stripped getting the engine bay smoothed now. cant wait to get some stuff done!

Quick Reply: 5.3 90 fox hatch t56 need advice