Sponsored by:

Corvette filter issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette filter issues?

Greetings everyone.

I'm using a Walbro 255lph pump, with a large canister pre-filter, and just converted from a conventional (race style) regulator to the Corvette (GF822) filter/regulator. The issue I'm having is the pump is getting real hot. After a few minutes, you can't even hold your hand on it. I removed the return line to check for fuel, and when the pump is running there isn't any fuel going back to the tank. The pump is working because the I can hear it and the LS1 motor runs fine. I checked for restrictions in the return line and its clear ( I can blow thru it with ease). The pump is probably getting hot from not moving the fuel.

I have a 3/8" line going into the 3/8" port on the filter, and a 5/16" return. The other end of the pump is marked "output" so thats going towards the LS1 motor. I don't think the pre-filter is an issue as it was fine before changing out to the Corvette filter/regulator.

Could the filter/regulator be a dud? Probably not common, but has anyone had this before with a new filter/regulator?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pop the return line off the filter and see if fuel is coming out. If not change the filter.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

If you didn't buy a wix or ac delco it's probably junk
Old 01-19-2012, 08:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

What's the fuel psi at the rail? If there is no fuel being returned, the pump is running at it's internal relief psi. That will cause the issue. AIRC, the Walbro has a relief built in at about 90psi...
As Rick Speed mentioned... Get a gennie filter.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Teching In

had a wix filter by pass all but 10 lbs back to tank changed filter all good now
Old 01-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Teching In

I used an AC Delco filter.

Didn't check pressure at the rails yet, but when I relieved it, it blasted more than I've seen in the past.

I ordered a new filter from NAPA, and will give that a try.

Thanks everybody!

Quick Reply: Corvette filter issues?