Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 install question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 07:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 install question

I am installing a ls motor in a 55 belair. I have it in already with the mounts tacked and the trans crossmember tacked in. I have only set up drive angle one time on a s-10 and a close buddy is telling me were I have to have the trans, engine, and pinion all in perfect angle. But others are telling me to offset the motor to the passanger side. I have it level but it is 3/16 of a inch to the driverside. I am not sure if this car is a pinion centered or if it is offset like the s-10 was so I had to offset everything. I don't have the the car up on stands and level right know to check if it is pinion centered or if it is offset.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would search around on google, including the make, model, and rear end. there is enough info out there you should be able to find it.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

I did some searching and it is factory 55 rear end in belair and I did not really find allot I found were it talks about drive shaft pinion angle but not saying if all the drive line has to be perfect inline or what is the allowed off set.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

check out trifive site they have a ls section
Old 01-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

I am over on trifive also but was looking to see over here were a bunch of ls projects are done trying to find out if everything has to be inline or what is the allowed to be out of line with out having universal issues.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have my motor mounted an inch to the side of the diff pinion. U joints don't care what plane the angularity is in (up-down, side to side or diagonal), just the total angle.

My car came from the factory with the engine offset to the passenger's side. I kept it this way in part to gain header clearance, but also because it helps offset the driver's weight.

Quick Reply: ls1 install question