Register Forgot Password?
Search

Conversions & Hybrids
LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by
Don Hardy Race Cars

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 01-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 5
Default Buyer beware of salvage yard in searcy,ar.

A LIL HEADS UP...I run a conversion shop in AR. & have sent my last 5 customers to this Camaro/Firebird Yard in Searcy,Ar. for donor setups with a total of a lil over $17,000 being spent with Brandon & prefer to keep as much revenue in my home state if possible ...it's just good bussiness.
Well upon firing up this last build it has some missing issues which led to...
-New plugs & wires ,helps but # 7 is dead & will not fire so I pull rails /inj. & clean ALOT of trash/sediment ect. out thinking this was the rest of my issues ,checked inj. all sprayed good ...#7 is still dead .
Pull valve cvr for visual ,pull rockers on #7 & hook up compressed air to find exhuast valve stuck open ,pulled springs ,freed but would not seal so this is surely our issue .Pulled vacuum on all intake valves 23-17lbs & #7 is BAD.
Heads come off for rebuild = 4 bad valves & there was small piece of metal hammerred into piston ?It cleaned up fine,you could see where it had been in exhaust valve at one time.Customer is eating all this expense & is part of it ,donor mtr ect. in his '71 Torino .At this point I have asked Brandon for nothing .
After heads are back on #7 is STILL DEAD ? We can compression check it now the valves are good & #7 is 0....YE 0lbs.All cylinders looked good with # 7 having some VERY slight marks about 1/8" wide but would not hang a nail .
It is obviuos this is a BAD motor.YES there is a sign at the gate... NO WARRANTIES... ,Well I am old school & if you spend alot of $ with me & repeat bussiness it is only right to take care of you !Over $ 17,000 I have sent to Brandon in the last 18 mo. & would send more .
Well I have eat about $300 in my labor to help out my customer to this point & call Brandon to see if he would at least pick up the short block rebuild for the customer [he paid over $3500 for mtr/trans/radiaror/fans/tank]....NO NOT GONNA HAPPEN .This is just not right IMO .The customer will now have to eat a complete rebuild on a motor he was told was good .
Upon pulling the pan I find ALOT of SAND[FLOOD CAR?] & a good bit of metal/aluminum.Yes all new filters& oil with nothing a miss but some nasty oil before startup.Motor is not yet out or tore down as customer is still in shock mode but may be comming out this week.
I have purchased alot of parts on here & sold several with no issues & just felt people should be aware .No Bashing/slandering just the FACTS of what happened & all is documented. Thanks Duke
Old 01-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0

I feel for the owner. I've been there. Buying used is indeed a gamble. Hopefully it all turns out good.
ModMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 22

I am surprised that there is no warranty on it. All of my local yards have warranties on all of their stuff. Do you know why the guy offers no warranties? Does he have a history of selling junk? Around here most motors have a 3 month 3500 mile guarantee and transmissions have a 6 month guarantee. Good luck with it. Sucks the guy will not make it right though.
2001 Harley Davidson Fatboy #74 of 150
rickyzZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2

I used to live in Searcy but moved to Fort Smith 13 years ago. They have ads on Craigslist all the time. Seem pricey to me. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks ,our local yards all give a 90 day to 6 mo warranty but there were no donors to be found at time of this build & the previuos 4 setups were all good.As I spoke with Brandon he informed me he has sold hundreds of these pullouts with no problems which in my eyes is all the more reason to do the right thing .I am a firm believer in doing unto others as you would have done to you & WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND ....10 FOLD .
You are right about the add on Craigslist he is on there ALOT .If this can save Anybody from the same outcome then it has been a success .
Old 01-20-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 3

I can't believe he isn't going to help you one bit!!! that sucks bad for the owner. I work at a yard here in Iowa and that just gives us salvage yards a bad name...... Our yard carries a 6 month warranty and it's pretty much near no questions asked we help you out warranty. We do our best to check everything but there's no way you can catch everything that's bad going out the door, stuff like that just happens.....but its a crying shame they aren't doing anything at all to help the customer out, that's no way to get repeat business.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

Damn ur swaps are high dollar up there. I think in tx they can be under $1500 for a 5.3 setup & thats hearing it run before its pulled. this isnt at a salvage yard, its people parting out vehicles on their own.
LS1 pwrd NOVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #8
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via Yahoo to remauto1187

WOW! OUCH! What a mess to deal with. All the yards around here in IN and IL all offer a warranty, usually 3 or 6 months. Pull the bad and bring it in and they give you another. I have been fortunate to not ever get a bad LS engine from a yard. My crappy luck lies in buying remans!
remauto1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

The first LS I bought was bad from the yard, spent too much cuz they said it was under 4K miles, so when I got it in and it wouldnt start, I pulled the passenger head, there was enough rust in there to not allow the motor to turn over, just hung when you manually turned it. I called the yard and they himm-hawed around for senveral days, theyre excuse was they were looking for another one, I found one at LKQ with 6K miles and was complete for $100 more than the yard said they were paid for it. Either way he wanted the crap back so I dropped it off right at his door, I mean right at his door. After about 4 weeks I finally got my money back, most of it. My motor was already in and running strong. Some yards are bad deals all around, most of the yards around here are fair dudes trying to make a living and get you the parts you need.
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #10
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Ye 5.3 pullouts here are around $2000 to $2500 depending on miles.This was an all aluminum LS1/Auto with 55K..............with Radiator /Electric fans & a complete Tank.
While the truck setups are cheaper ,you then have to deal with the intake ,waterpump ect time & parts to fit this into a '71 Torino.
Did a '57 P/U last summer with a 5.3 setup That turned out real nice.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #11
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

All the yards around here post compression numbers and oil pressure readings for the engines they are selling. Does his yard do that?
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:04 AM   #12
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

After all this mess & speaking /arguing with Brandon he says they Make sure it runs & has oil pressure .........a squirt bottle ,a lil water on the manifolds will at least tell you if all 8 are hittin .
As one of the other post stated this gives a yards in general bad .I only inform customers of where they can purchase from if my regular local yards are out .NO MORE WILL GO TO SEARCY............
My DAD always told me ........."The Mistakes You Make That Get Into Your Wallet You Will ALWAYS Remember " as well as those that cause Pain be it Emotional or Physical .
Old 01-22-2012, 01:54 AM   #13
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantsum410 View Post
Ye 5.3 pullouts here are around $2000 to $2500 depending on miles.This was an all aluminum LS1/Auto with 55K..............with Radiator /Electric fans & a complete Tank.
While the truck setups are cheaper ,you then have to deal with the intake ,waterpump ect time & parts to fit this into a '71 Torino.
Did a '57 P/U last summer with a 5.3 setup That turned out real nice.
FYI, I got a DBW 5.3/4L60E with accessories, starter, computer, pedal, TAC module, & wiring harness from a yard in Mayflower couple of years ago for $1200 and the guy said it had 73,000 miles. I pulled the heads and everything looked good. For the life of me I cant remember the name, think I found him searching on car-part.com.
neal64ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #14
Trunion King
2000 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 16

I bought a 55K miles t56 tranny came with pedals, MC, tranny mount, used PP, clutch kit from him and it's still taking abuse from me.

Threw away all the junk of course (used PP, clutch, pilot bearing...). He does price them a higher than everyone else though.

'00 LPM Z28 | M6- featured in GMHTP Nov '12 Street Heat & Camaro Perfomers Nov '12 Readers' Rides
'04 BS G35 SEDAN | 5AT

bene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #15
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

if the guy doesnt warranty it after spending that much coin on one, go get a different one at midnight and put the junk one back in its place...
I pray, dear Lord protect my ride!
FakeSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #16
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now

We have located a good 5.3 from one of our local yards for $600 & will swap it out with the LS1 as the customer wants.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #17
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantsum410 View Post
We have located a good 5.3 from one of our local yards for $600 & will swap it out with the LS1 as the customer wants.
i bet that it still runs pretty strong with a 5.3. those run pretty good to be so cheap.
468BIGBLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #18
11 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 18

That yard really pisses me off. They are not a typical salvage yard...seems they stick with mostly buying up f bodies from all over then mark up all the parts and sell them for outrageous prices. But since they suck up all the wrecked or rough cars, the market prices go up all around the area.

Makes it even worse if they won't at least stand behind their overpriced junk.

71 Chevelle: LS1, EPS 230/238 113+2, 799s, FAST 90/90, LTs, UD pulley, 4l60e Yank SS3600, 3.42 12 bolt

99 Silverado: 5.3, Cam Motion stage 2, 2.5" duals, CAI, ported TB
thunderstruck507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #19
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 4
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstruck507 View Post
That yard really pisses me off. They are not a typical salvage yard...seems they stick with mostly buying up f bodies from all over then mark up all the parts and sell them for outrageous prices. But since they suck up all the wrecked or rough cars, the market prices go up all around the area.

Makes it even worse if they won't at least stand behind their overpriced junk.
i STRONGLY disagree with you on this one. i like his plan. if he has to use his own money,time,space and experience and smarts to run a MODERN salvage yard i like his plan!!! old JUNK YARDS are out!!! MODERN salvage yards are in!! lots of MODERN salvage yards do exactly what he is doing .there there are tons of sellers on ebay doing the same plan. and wrecked salvage in auctions are bring record high prices. this causes them to charge higher prices.i work at a body shop and the prices that salvage brings at auctions will suprise you!! very very high!!! and what is outrageous to one buyer will sound cheap to a another buyer. now i dont know this guy or about this transaction. but sellers should stand behind there products that they sell.
468BIGBLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #20
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Sorry to read that you've had an unsavory experience with Brandon of Camaro and Firebird Performance here in Searcy. Brandon lives across town from me, and was a great help when I needed to have another rear end installed in my car: He immediately removed one from a donor car, loaded it up, and delivered it free-of-charge to my mechanic's garage. Brandon told me that, sometimes, a donor car can have a bad rear end, and if he'd overlooked defects in his inspection, he'd be glad to bring another replacement one, for free, if it was necessary.

I've bought several car parts from Brandon over the last seven years. He's arrogant, and some of his prices are ambitious, but he's very helpful and knowledgeable, and his yard is a treasure trove of components. I feel blessed to have such a great outlet so near to where I live.

Again, I'm sorry that you had a negative experience and I wish you and your customer my best.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:37 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
ar, arkansas, camro, copper, firebird, ls3, prices, pulled, salvage, savage, scrap, searcy, seary, truck, yard, yards