Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70 454SS Chevelle LSX&T56 SWAP HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 70 454SS Chevelle LSX&T56 SWAP HELP!

Hey everyone, I have a 1970 Chevelle SS454 4 speed that I will be doing an LQ9 and T56 swap. I already got a T56 pull out out of a 50k miles z28 and found a couple decently low mile 6.0 LQ motors with pretty good pricing.. My question is what else is needed? (no the ls6 and m22 are not for sale)
Old 01-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Teching In

HEY kingd i cant give you the help you need cause im not to sure (hoping to do one in future) but i can direct you to a great site with lots of that type of info..
pro-touring.com is a great site
Old 01-30-2012, 05:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Take a look at the stickys here. You should be able to find a pretty complete list of everything you will need.
My 2 cents, keep the truck accessory drive on the engine, the only thing you will need to change is the PS pulley. If you plan to run AC this is a very clean way to go.
Don't waste time on the truck pan, pony up for one that will really fit. Again you should find a wealth of information here.
The swap is really not that hard, just time consuming.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by oldgoat69
Take a look at the stickys here. You should be able to find a pretty complete list of everything you will need.
My 2 cents, keep the truck accessory drive on the engine, the only thing you will need to change is the PS pulley. If you plan to run AC this is a very clean way to go.
Don't waste time on the truck pan, pony up for one that will really fit. Again you should find a wealth of information here.
The swap is really not that hard, just time consuming.
Oh ok great!! I appreciate it allot! I will check out the stickies and go form there!
Old 01-30-2012, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kingd_202
My question is what else is needed?
Boy, that is always a loaded question !.. As OldGoat said.. do your research on the A-Body FAQ..

If you have specific question, it would be easier to get good answers to your question.

To start with. you need some adapter plates, most use either Standard or 1" set backs.. many kit are out there now.. Holley, Hooker, BRP, S&P, etc.... modify your Trans Crossmember or get a new one. Drive shaft needed for the correct lenght. Fuel system.. you planning on going external or intank ?

What is your planned HP output.?

ECM and Wiring.. you plan on a converted harness or a new custom one. You well need to have the ECM Flashed to remove any thing not needed.. ie.. VATS..

As you can see.. your question well lead to a lot of question going back at ya !..

Let us know what area and specific question.. and post some pictures !! (we like them... LOL).

BC
Old 01-31-2012, 05:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As stated your single question will snowball into a cascade of questions. Many will not have a single answer. Remember that you will find that you will find many opinions as to what is the right solution.
Take a look at as many of the swaps as you can find in pictures of the finished product. Find 1 or 2 that you like the look of and follow that path.
I have been in the business for about 36 years. I have provided guidance through countless projects. The most successful made a plan and stuck to it. You will spend far less and go much faster if you proceed down a similar path.