Sponsored by:

Stainless Works LS Swap Headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 01:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless Works LS Swap Headers

Hi Guys

Just in case you didn't realize, we carry a full line of LS Swap headers for many Chevy muscle cars!

Who is using our stuff? Post up some pictures of your current projects for us to see! Make sure you tell us what year and what swap kit/motor mounts you used!
Attached Thumbnails Stainless Works LS Swap Headers-stainless-works-ls-swap-headers.jpg  

Last edited by StainlessWorks; 02-01-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have your headers,love them!but do have one issue,the driver side header is super close to power steering fitting!it does not touch but very very close!I can post pics if u like!
Old 02-01-2012, 02:36 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bmf5150
I have your headers,love them!but do have one issue,the driver side header is super close to power steering fitting!it does not touch but very very close!I can post pics if u like!
What car do you have? Post some pictures for us, absolutely!

Generally we are pretty close to the components since there isn't a huge amount of room around the box. HOWEVER, the motor mounts that you use can play a huge difference. We are currently compiling a list of motor mounts and swap kits that we know will work best with our headers.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sitting here, hoping, praying, that SW comes out with some 1 7/8" thirdgen swap headers. Right now the Hawks (SW) headers come in 1 3/4" and 2".
Old 02-01-2012, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not be negative here but I tried to help you guys with your headers and you wanted to charge me $3k for a set of custom headers. This was before I found out that the set I got were defective anyway. I am using the BRP mounts for a first gen and the headers are not even close. Ironically enough it looks like your older headers for your Art Morrison suspensions would have fit but after a lot of time trying to help you guys out it was obvious that you were not interested in helping. Here is the link.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ality-fit.html
Old 02-01-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a 1968 camaro ,here are pics!!the headers almost hit on two spots!!

Here is the link to the build of my car!!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=Bmf5150
Old 02-01-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StainlessWorks
What car do you have? Post some pictures for us, absolutely!

Generally we are pretty close to the components since there isn't a huge amount of room around the box. HOWEVER, the motor mounts that you use can play a huge difference. We are currently compiling a list of motor mounts and swap kits that we know will work best with our headers.
Can you share the list you have? I'm having the same issues as bmf5150. I have the motor out now and it would be a good time to correct it.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Launching!

My 67 Nova LS1 with Heidt front clip will soon have a Darton LS2 427. Really need? 1 7/8" headers for future mods. PM for details.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you make the cbr headers?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs down

Yeah, GREAT. So you're basically cluttering up this forum with a topic that doesn't actually have any worthwhile technical content, just a ridiculously transparent (& lame) attempt at marketing/getting the company name out there... Sorry guys, but...

Old 02-01-2012, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

I'm sure they are great with the right mounts...

But I cam buy Kook's stainless headers for $800 shipped vs $925 shipped. What makes these more 'valuable'?
Old 02-02-2012, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a set a few years ago for my 69 bird swap and finally bolted them on and they fit like a glove! was worried as I have a BRP swap that moves the engine forward about 2" - great quality and they easily dropped in from the top!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:24 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
Not be negative here but I tried to help you guys with your headers and you wanted to charge me $3k for a set of custom headers. This was before I found out that the set I got were defective anyway. I am using the BRP mounts for a first gen and the headers are not even close. Ironically enough it looks like your older headers for your Art Morrison suspensions would have fit but after a lot of time trying to help you guys out it was obvious that you were not interested in helping. Here is the link.
That flange is not acceptable and would not come out of the modern Stainless Works. Its no excuse, but that was 4 years ago and we have come a very long way since then.

Weld problems aside, your fitment issues were not our fault. We know our headers work with the Street and Performance kit, and while they may work with other mounts, we cannot guarantee fit unless you are using what we recommend. There are just too many variables. Our headers are not guaranteed to work with a BRP mount kit. BRP even make their own headers that go with that swap, so there's no market for us to make sure our headers fit their kit. I'm sorry things didn't work out, but we didn't design the headers to use the swap setup you chose, so i don't feel you can blame us if they don't fit.

Originally Posted by bmf5150
Your build thread looks great. I did not make it to the end but i'm hoping you got those rear tires tucked in a bit better
We are pretty close to that box but it looks like we aren't hitting it. I know you are using the Street & Performance kit, do you have it in the neutral position?

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
I'm sitting here, hoping, praying, that SW comes out with some 1 7/8" thirdgen swap headers. Right now the Hawks (SW) headers come in 1 3/4" and 2".
Based on your signature, I would say 2" is a little big, but I wouldn't say the 1 3/4" would be too small. If you are really after the 1 7/8ths", you might give Hawks a call. Depending on our fixture, we can sometimes make them with a smaller tube.

Originally Posted by Rocketrod
Can you share the list you have? I'm having the same issues as bmf5150. I have the motor out now and it would be a good time to correct it.
What's your application? I'm going to get a list going.

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
Do you make the cbr headers?
We do. And we just finished R&D on a new set that lets you use the stock steering box.

Originally Posted by V8Rumble

Yeah, GREAT. So you're basically cluttering up this forum with a topic that doesn't actually have any worthwhile technical content, just a ridiculously transparent (& lame) attempt at marketing/getting the company name out there... Sorry guys, but...

I see your point, but i'm hoping we can turn this into a tech thread so everyone has a bit of a resource for what works and what doesn't. If this gets rolling, I'll start making a list at the top of the thread.

Keep in mind we pay to be allowed to advertise.

Originally Posted by LSxChevelle
I'm sure they are great with the right mounts...

But I cam buy Kook's stainless headers for $800 shipped vs $925 shipped. What makes these more 'valuable'?
Actually our MSRP on 1st gen Camaro and Nova headers is $890. Kooks is $1025... You must have stumbled upon a deep discounting Kooks dealer who doesn't discount SW quite as much.

To be honest, we are generally a little less expensive than they are on everything.

Last edited by StainlessWorks; 02-02-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:27 AM
FormerVendor

I expected to see some venting about header fitment but please understand that there are so many different combinations from mounts, fittings, steering boxes, and even tweaked subframes, that I cannot guarantee my headers will fit unless you call or email us with the details of your swap.

Unfortunately, I have to say No to people almost as often as I can tell them the headers will work. If you don't check with me, you've simply got to hope you get lucky. Giving me all the details can save a lot of headaches
Old 02-02-2012, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StainlessWorks
Based on your signature, I would say 2" is a little big, but I wouldn't say the 1 3/4" would be too small. If you are really after the 1 7/8ths", you might give Hawks a call. Depending on our fixture, we can sometimes make them with a smaller tube.
We've been begging Bruce for 1 7/8 for a while, but he's been non-responsive. I suspect that he gets bombarded with so many requests for products that would ultimately never sell that he's reluctant to take on something new. I emailed SW a few months ago asking if they would build me a set that I could buy through them or Hawks, and never received a response.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:47 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
We've been begging Bruce for 1 7/8 for a while, but he's been non-responsive. I suspect that he gets bombarded with so many requests for products that would ultimately never sell that he's reluctant to take on something new. I emailed SW a few months ago asking if they would build me a set that I could buy through them or Hawks, and never received a response.
I will give Bruce a call.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Aside from the defect you state what has changed in from SW's quality and manufacturing from 4 years ago? As for your recommended setup with the variables I gave SW enough information that would have worked for the S&P along with the BRP setup and pretty much everything inbetween. I have a set of Kooks TBSS headers and they would fit a S&P mount setup also they ended up costing me less overall also than I originally paid for the SW's. SW never stated that they only fit the S&P setup even after I contacted you multiple times. Also note there is not one bit of information on your website currently about them fitting only for S&P mounts. It is very clear to me when you guys setup those headers you did it on a car with a rack and pinion steering which is why they are so close to the steering box that everybody that uses the headers has to dimple them. It is also the same reason why they are close to the idler arm on the other side and hit with the BRP location. When I contacted Kooks they were willing to bend over backwards to get me a set of headers. They even offered to let me have a set unwelded so I could tack them and send them back for final welding and fitment at no extra charge. If you don't believe me do a search on the site for your headers and look at how many people are dimpling your headers so they clear the steering box. You call that a good fit?
Old 02-02-2012, 11:32 AM
FormerVendor

We believe you.

We have made our mistakes and we've learned from our experiences so that we can grown as a company. I guess it's neither here nor there but things that happened 4 years ago are in no way representative of how things are today.

Sorry it didn't work out.

Last edited by StainlessWorks; 02-02-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

Is the general concensus that the S&P stock location mounts are the best mounts to use in conjunction with your ls swap headers for a first Gen Camaro/Third Gen Nova? I have a set of the #CALS1SB headers right now and just want to get the info straight from the source, Thanks-
Old 02-02-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

I have a set of your long tubes for a 66 chevy II I am building.They are beautiful headers,I should know about the fit soon as I am about to mock up the motor and trans.

Quick Reply: Stainless Works LS Swap Headers