Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has used 4th Gen F-Body Brake Booster ?

Old 02-02-2012, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Who has used 4th Gen F-Body Brake Booster ?

Who has used 4th Gen F-Body Brake Booster on a 1st Gen F-Body or a 3rd Gen X-Body.. I want to use it on my current Nova swap.. but before I go and hack anything and cause any damage. Did you remove the studs on the booster or from the Firewall/Brake Pedals ?

I was going to try and remove the studs from the Booster and then leave the current studs in the firewall. Are the Studs just pressed in or screwed in ?..

I tried to turn then backward with some pressure but they didn't move.. I then gave them a rap with a Hammer.. but before I did any damage to the bracket, I stop and figured I'd ask.

Thanks..

BC
Old 02-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow lol uhhhhhhhhhh im doing the same thing to my nova........ so im intrested
Old 02-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Launching!

I used a C5 vette setup on my 71 monte a-body. Made an adaptor bracket to line up to original studs coming thru firewall. Also the angle had to built into my adaptors because C5 is vertical mount and my car had slight upward angle. I think i still have pics of work i did
Old 02-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Hey I installed a 4th gen boster setup in my 69 camaro along with all the brakes. I used this post and worked perfect.

http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...9-Camaro/page4
Old 02-05-2012, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id like to do this also
Old 02-29-2012, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Does anyone know how long of a stroke the 4th Gen Booster is, need to figure out which hole to use on the Brake pedal..?

I was able to mount the booster as Pete did on Pro-Touring and I now have it on, but need to attach the U-Rod now to the pedal.

Nuckollsinc.. Can you measure the travel or the distant from the top pivot to the U-Rod pivot? or do you know the U-Rod Travel ?

Thanks.

BC
Old 03-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Launching!

U should never change the hole location on the pedal unless u are going from power to manual or vise versa. Adjust the rod lenght accordingly. I threaded mine while it was out and fabb'ed a turnbuckle style bracket to get exact lenght correct
Old 03-01-2012, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

My Nova was Manual brake.. that is why I am asking for the Travel of the 4th Gen Booster/Master. I now have the Booster/Master mounted.. (not the final picture, well take more and post later).

Picture before I Welded an extention on to the bracket.

IIRC, the upper hole was for Manual and the lower hole on the pedal was for Power brakes. But I am not going to hold this as correct for the 4th Gen Booster travel and want to make sure I don't under or over travel the rod into the Booster/Master.

What I did for the rod.. I installed the booster, with the rod in place.. the Nova rod still attached to the pedal and was right next to the 4th Gen rod. I then marked the Nova U-Rod where the end of the 4th Gen rod ended. Then took both out and layed them next to each other, cut both rod. then used a tube to insert both end into it and welded it together. So the new rod is about the same length and I can still adjust it as the original Nova rod did.

You can just see the 4th Gen Rod on top of the Nova U-Rod and you can see the lower hole in the pedal.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

How was your hood clearance with the fbody booster/master? I'm installing the entire brake system off my '99 z28 parts car and I just finished modifying the booster bracket to fit over the gto firewall studs, but the extreme tilt up looks like it could be very close to the hood. I even have my booster down farther than you do... the top GTO firewall stud is between the shaved booster studs.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine with the booster and master. I did something slightly different. I took a 4th gen and 1st gen brake assembly and used the 4th gen assembly at the firewall and the 1st gen at the dash support by cutting and welding the 2 pieces together. This levels out the master cylinder and keeps the brake pedal at the right location. The pedal needs an adapter or a piece welded on the end to give it the right length or you can use an adapter threaded rod, etc. I choose to do it the other way so the booster is just a factory bolt in. The hole in the firewall is elongated some but not a lot. I can send you some pics if your interested.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm pretty sure I understand what you did... so you used the original Chevelle booster bracket and adapted it to the LS1 booster? I've seen a couple other guys do that with good luck, but unfortunately I'm going from an original manual drum/drum car, so I don't have that bracket available. I got it all bolted up with the original GTO firewall studs and slightly enlarged hole. I also added material to the LS1 pushrod and made my own clevis that all lined up nice.

If it ends up being too high, I have the option off angling the assembly down with washers at the top studs... I'll just have to figure out how to seal the pushrod boot to the firewall.

Manual setup:

LS1 setup:

Last edited by krwyellowZ28; 03-11-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not really sure.. as I have not gotten to the point of putting the hood back on. I think it will clear..here are a few pictures.

Hope these and the other help answering your question on the hood clearing the Brake setup.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This may explain it a bit better. Note that it is level like on a 4th gen and there is plenty of clearance to the hood. The only issue with this is you do trash the original brake pedal assembly.
Attached Thumbnails Who has used 4th Gen F-Body Brake Booster ?-dscf0001.jpg   Who has used 4th Gen F-Body Brake Booster ?-dscf0002.jpg   Who has used 4th Gen F-Body Brake Booster ?-dusted06.jpg  

Last edited by 69 Ghost; 03-11-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the pics... that does make it more clear. I think I'm in the same boat as bczee right now with placement, and if it doesn't clear the hood then I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I'll try to take a few more pics of my modified booster mount and pushrod tonight.

*Off topic, what wiper motor are you using, Ghost? Is that a delay motor, and what did it take to make that work for you?
Old 03-11-2013, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is the same motor that Detroit Speed sells. It is a caddy motor that cost $50. I used the factory backing plate and cut it to fit. I have all the factory 4th gen wiring so it was a matter of repinning a few pins and using the cruise control stalk. This gives me the full range of factory wiper speeds and I have a washer to boot. I used the original column on the bottom and the 4th gen column on the top to give the cruise, vats, and brights. I was going to do a reverse build or a build thread from a finished car but keep thinking who wants another 1st gen build?
Attached Thumbnails Who has used 4th Gen F-Body Brake Booster ?-dusted07.jpg  

Last edited by 69 Ghost; 03-11-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would like to see that thread! haha

I am planning to use a tilt column out of a 1975 Trans Am for a couple reasons:

- I'm converting from column to console shift
- I still utilize the floor hi/low beam switch in the GTO
- The column came from a car w/cruise on the turn signal stalk, so adding cruise will look OEM.

However, if I can get the intermiten wipers to work with the column out of my parts car. . .
Old 03-12-2013, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

This is my version of the modified stock LS1 booster bracket and extended "clevis" compared to the unmodified bracket.

Last edited by krwyellowZ28; 03-12-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who has used 4th Gen F-Body Brake Booster ?