Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 swap 4l80e trans shift linkage rod problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 swap 4l80e trans shift linkage rod problems

Hello everyone, haven't been on here in a while and I have run into a big problem trying to use my old 4l60e shift linkage on my 4l80e

Details:
94 Chevy k1500 4x4 Ext cab shortbox (had 5.7 tbi 4l60e)
Now it has 6.0 LQ4 with 4l80e

Everything is in and bolted up, and when I try to connect my stock linkage to the 4l80e it doesnt even come close. I was wondering if anyone has any tips. Ill try to post some pics too so you guys can see whats going on
Attached Thumbnails 6.0 swap 4l80e trans shift linkage rod problems-6.0-swap-043.jpg   6.0 swap 4l80e trans shift linkage rod problems-6.0-swap-044.jpg   6.0 swap 4l80e trans shift linkage rod problems-6.0-swap-045.jpg  
Old 02-05-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm going to guess you have a column shift??

If so I just did a cable install yesterday for my brother on his 99 gmc sierra 1500. Now that truck simply uses a cable and not a linkage. The cable is a 2 piece that has a cab section and a chassis section, it costs about $100 from rock auto. Now I have no idea what your column point of attachment looks like so you would need to get under there and look. His truck has the same type of "post" as what is pictured in your photo and both ends of the cable simply press on to that post. If your column has the same post as what is on the 4l80e maybe you could retrofit the cable to your truck.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FatfreeGTO
I'm going to guess you have a column shift??

If so I just did a cable install yesterday for my brother on his 99 gmc sierra 1500. Now that truck simply uses a cable and not a linkage. The cable is a 2 piece that has a cab section and a chassis section, it costs about $100 from rock auto. Now I have no idea what your column point of attachment looks like so you would need to get under there and look. His truck has the same type of "post" as what is pictured in your photo and both ends of the cable simply press on to that post. If your column has the same post as what is on the 4l80e maybe you could retrofit the cable to your truck.
Yes it is column shift. There is a little ear on the firewall that rotates with the column lever. Then there is a rod connected to that ear that runs down the frame along the rail, which connects to another rod that goes to the trans. I don't beleive there are any actual cables used except for the cable in the gauge cluster for showing which gear you are in. Does anyone know if the shift linkage from the 4l60e to the 4l80e differs from each other?

Quick Reply: 6.0 swap 4l80e trans shift linkage rod problems