Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 swap questions

I'm all exciticated about the 2001 5.3 LM7 I bought for my '72 Chev. 4WD swap and I 'm hoping some of you have been down this same bunny trail and can maybe help a little. This is a cable-throttle engine because I want to use the existing 700R4. Does anyone make a TV cable bracket compatible with this throttle body or does it have to be fabricated? What's a good source for on an in-line fuel pump/filter? Also, electric cooling fans or should I get a clutch fan to live inside the existing shroud? I know I need a different flex plate to use this transmixer on an LS engine - are there any that are better than others? The motor mount adaptors seem pretty straightforward - are they? How about a VSS? Don't I need one fo those? I appreciate any help. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you can use a walboro 255lph inline and a corvette ffr to regulate pressure. not sure about the tv cable, but i am sure that the 700r4 is going to take a dump on you if its just a stock unit. let me know if you need the vette fpr ive got an extra.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:03 AM
Teching In

Thanks, I appreciate it. Do you know a good source for the Walbro pump? From everything I've read, I do need the 'vette filter/regulator. The 700R4 is about four years old and been pulling a two-horse trailer all over creation with no troubles so far. I installed the twelve-clutch Z-Pak when I overhauled it and so far, so good. Don't I need the vehicle speed sensor also?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Other than the mounts and oil pan you're going to be more or less doing the same and using the same parts as the old car swaps. There are even similar truck swap threads already, so either place would have relevant info. Bowtieoverdrives makes bracket parts. Personally I'd throw that trans away and get an electronic one. A lot less trouble in the long run.