Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-body Accessories in a Chevelle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default F-body Accessories in a Chevelle?

I'm looking for accessories for an LM7 for my 1970 El Camino I am using Edelbrock adapter plates, with stock frame mount height and location, and was wondering if the f-body accessories (no AC) can be mounted on it without any modifications. What kind of clearance is there between the alternator and the steering box? any pictures would be greatly appreciated

Also has anyone tried the L99 accessories from the 2010 Camaros?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-06-2012, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

El S1 Camino - check my build thread. I have a complete set of F-body accessories, and I am placing the motor in the "standard" location. The alternator and steering box have some major interference with that setup. Moving the motor 1" or so back would help greatly, but would probably still cause trouble.

I am going to go with the KWIK alt/ps bracket.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 71Fakes
El S1 Camino - check my build thread. I have a complete set of F-body accessories, and I am placing the motor in the "standard" location. The alternator and steering box have some major interference with that setup. Moving the motor 1" or so back would help greatly, but would probably still cause trouble.

I am going to go with the KWIK alt/ps bracket.
Thanks for the help, I might have to steal the accessories off my dads work in progress to see if will actually run into any problems before ordering anything then.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the corvette FEAD, but I bought it brand new. The alternator is on top and the ps pump is below it. As you can see it doesn't interfere with the steering box. I have the LS3 in a 70 Monte Carlo. I think the Vette feed allows more room since none of the accessories interfere with the K-Member or steering box. I went with this set up specifically because I wanted AC and the Kwik AC brackets puts the compressor up top on the passenger side.

http://paceperformance.com/i-6485405...7-engines.html
Old 02-08-2012, 07:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Biggest interference problem on this is the alternator and the steering box.You cant hardly get the engine far back enough to clear the steering box with f body accessories.You can raise it up enough to get by using brp motor mounts,but you cause other problems like trans tunnel clearence when you do.If you use corvette acces. that puts the alt.up top you will save yourself some grief.Everything else f body works great on the chevelle except the oil pan which will have to be notched or use different pan such as holley,mast,etc.Most of the other factory pans will hang a little too low,truck, hummer,ctsv,etc.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replys.

Does anyone know it the mounting location of the alternator on the new camaros is any tighter to the motor to give more clearance between it and the steering box then the regular f-body setup?

Quick Reply: F-body Accessories in a Chevelle?