Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens if your surge tank takes a gulp of air?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What happens if your surge tank takes a gulp of air?

I made a surge tank for my swap and I am having second thoughts about the design. There is a chance that, under hard acceleration, cornering or braking, the outlet of the surge tank could become uncovered and take in some air. It has a baffle, but it's not really the design that I wanted.

Is this a really big deal? I am looking at some of the LS1 cooling system diagrams, and it looks like the coolant from the surge tank goes straight into the engine. I was hoping that maybe the steam lines would bleed the air out, but I don't think that's a really great thing to rely on.

FWIW, I have an LS3 water pump.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Someone must know this!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not really sure what you are talking about. When you said surge tank and corning I thought you meant for fuel.

If you are talking about an pressurized overflow bottle hooked to the radiator cap overflow line, then it should have a tube running to the bottom of the bottle. There is no chance of gulping air with that.

If you are talking about a radiator surge tank that is plumbed into the highest point in the pressurized coolant path, then you should still have an overflow bottle hooked to the cap overflow. Any air that gets trapped in the surge tank should get pushed out and vented by the overflow bottle when the engine heats up. As the engine cools, the overflow bottle should suck only water back in. Again, no air.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Ahh my bad - I forgot about the fuel surge tank.

I am talking about the coolant one. I don't know which I have. All I know is that I duplicated the Corvette setup only I made a custom tank. Whatever the Corvette has, that's what I have.

The outlet is not situated perfectly on the bottom of the tank... my fault, but that's a whole different discussion. I just want to know how serious of a problem I will create for myself if the the outlet comes uncovered and some air gets into the cooling system. The tank outlet goes to one of the heater fittings on the water pump.

Will the air stay in there and cause damage to the engine, or will it quickly bleed itself out through the steam vents on the heads? I have the two front steam vents hooked up, but the two rear steam vents are blocked off.

Quick Reply: What happens if your surge tank takes a gulp of air?