Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Chevy Truck LQ4 6.0 Swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 96 Chevy Truck LQ4 6.0 Swap Questions

Hi, I have a few questions about a motor swap that I will be doing. I have a 96 Chevy K2500 that HAD a 5.7 vortec and a 4L80 (E I'm assuming due to all the wires on the tranny???) I just bought a 6.0 Vortec out of a 2003 GMC Yukon with a 4L60E tranny (tranny not included I'll be using the 4L80 in my truck) for $1600 with 112,000 miles. It came with the flywheel, intake, headers, wiring harness, ecu (computer), and everything attached to the motor. Now I already know that I'll need motor mount adapters, fuel line adapters, ecu tuning, but I'm not sure what else I will need. What I'm really worried about is the wiring. I'm not sure what to do about that, what I'll need for adapters, etc. I want my guages and everything else to work as they should. I have my old harness and the new one coming in. What is my best/cheapest way out? I am pretty good with wiring diagrams and making stuff work, but this one is a first for me. Is there any other components that I'll need? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
Old 04-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same issue with wiring in a 96 Tahoe going to a 2000 LQ4. I have used Mitchell OnDemand5, Alldata, LT1swap.com and my Haynes manual as some resourses. I have most of the pinouts swapped between the C100 connector (from engine harness to interior), the fusebox from the truck, and C100 from the LQ4. I just posted somethin on performancetrucks about injector and coil fused feeds today, and hopin to hear somethin soon. If your good with reading wiring diagrams, figuring pinouts and have an ohmmeter you shouldn't have too much of an issue. I will try to keep you updated on more if you havn't already gotten it. But if you have completed this daunting task please help me out!!!
Old 04-19-2012, 01:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got my 6.0/4L60E(don't bother rubbing it in about my poor choice of trans,I already know I'm gonna pay for that) into 98 Sierra K1500 fired up,still have to finish up some odds and ends-exhaust,CAI,electric fans,reassembly...
Still not convinced this whole process is worth the time,money and labour-I think it is smarter just to sell off your old truck and buy a newer model,unless you are a glutton for punishment or have a LOT invested in your OBS truck.There is nothing terribly difficult about this deal,the newer systems are a logical progression from the older ones,just takes a lot of research,mechanical and electrical ingenuity and a pile of cash!
Almost all of the info is available online,on this site and a few others(not sure if OK to list them here,google is your friend), first spend some serious time on the research,then decide if this is the right choice for your situation.

Quick Reply: 96 Chevy Truck LQ4 6.0 Swap Questions