Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lq4 with ls1 top end, what PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lq4 with ls1 top end, what PCM?

Ok so I've been searching, but either I'm using the wrong keywords or it hasn't been answered yet. I'm new to the lsx motors, so I apologize in advance. Anyway, I'm wanting to run 6.0l lq4 with ls1 top end, it's going to end up in my 90 240sx, I'm just wondering if I can still use the PCM/ECM (not sure what you guys call it lol) from an f body/corvette, or If I need the stuff from a truck. Or if it even makes a difference in any case.
If you need more info on specifics, let me know.
Thanks in advance
Old 02-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

yea you can use a pretty much any 3rd gen ecu long as you have 3rd gen hardware (sensors and etc)
Old 02-28-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

By "top end" do you mean just the intake, or the heads too? Either way, the PCM from either should work fine, but the heads may require some tuning. The intake is more or less a bolt on item.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:28 PM

Yeah I meant heads as well. Would I still be Looking at a tuning issue with the heads if I used the heads and PCM from the say an fbody, or will tuning be required due to the head and block difference?
Thanks for the quick responses by the way
Old 02-28-2012, 09:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Is this a red/blue PCM or a green/blue PCM? Keep in mind that any red/blue will run drive by cable, however, only certain green/blue pcms have the drivers to run drive by cable.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 02-29-2012, 12:13 AM

I haven't purchased the PCM yet so that little tidbit of info is gold, since I'll be running DBC for sure. Thanks so much for that gem psi!!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:43 AM

So, If I'm understanding this correctly, I can basically go 6.0l bottom end and fbody top end with the fbody PCM that's DBC and I should be good to go?
Old 02-29-2012, 01:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rmccomb
So, If I'm understanding this correctly, I can basically go 6.0l bottom end and fbody top end with the fbody PCM that's DBC and I should be good to go?
almost except one important part, just make sure the pcm matches the reluctor wheel, ie. 58x pcm/58x reluctor or 24x pcm/ 24x reluctor. missmatch these and the engine wont run. truck reluctor and pcms are usually 58x and i believe f body pcms run 24x ecm and reluctor. someone correct me if im wrong although im sure im right.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by 6.0L mustang philly
almost except one important part, just make sure the pcm matches the reluctor wheel, ie. 58x pcm/58x reluctor or 24x pcm/ 24x reluctor. missmatch these and the engine wont run. truck reluctor and pcms are usually 58x and i believe f body pcms run 24x ecm and reluctor. someone correct me if im wrong although im sure im right.
ok, im not gonna lie i had to google reluctor wheel, considering ive never heard of that in my life lol, but i did see an article immediately talking about the e38 PCM being for the 58 tooth wheel, and the e40 for the 24 tooth. this was a corvette forum, so i dont know if fbodies use the same PCM codes.

Anyway, in my attempt to avoid me asking a million unnecessary questions, im going to modify my original question and approach it a bit differently, especially since my original plan has been modified due to finding a deal i cant really afford to pass up..

ok, so heres the setup: 5.3l short block, stock internals, ls1 cam, ls1 241 heads, and ls1 intake/injectors/fuel rail, fbody front accessories, still ending up in the 240sx. Based on this particular setup, what PCM would you guys suggest?

Also, if im still running into the reluctor wheel difference problem, will that be solved with using the 58 tooth PCM, and what, if any, problems will that incur with the wiring harness, or the LS1 top end?

sorry for the seemingly scattered questions, you guys are just raising quite a few questions that i would have never even known to consider, which i appreciate more than i can express. Just trying to make sure before i jump into buying parts A,B,or C and finding out im A** backwards to begin with

thanks again guys
Old 02-29-2012, 05:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Reluctor wheel tooth count (24x or 58x) is dependent on the year the engine was made (generally speaking), truck engines and car engines both had 24x and 58x depending on the year. Since you are going to be using a 5.3..... If it is from a 99 to mid year 07 it is going to be a 24x engine. If it is newer it will be a 58x engine. Regardless of what it is, there are harnesses and PCMs to run them in a conversion with little effort. Hope that helps.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 02-29-2012, 07:11 AM
Teching In

why do you wanna run ls1 heads? oem castings im pretty sure the lq4 heads flow better if there 317 casting. im new to teh lsx world but i would think the 317 heads are better in true stock form.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by psiconversion
Reluctor wheel tooth count (24x or 58x) is dependent on the year the engine was made (generally speaking), truck engines and car engines both had 24x and 58x depending on the year. Since you are going to be using a 5.3..... If it is from a 99 to mid year 07 it is going to be a 24x engine. If it is newer it will be a 58x engine. Regardless of what it is, there are harnesses and PCMs to run them in a conversion with little effort. Hope that helps.

Jon
PSI
this absolutely helps, as i have no doubt the 5.3 ill be using is pre-07. thank you!!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by ocp04
why do you wanna run ls1 heads? oem castings im pretty sure the lq4 heads flow better if there 317 casting. im new to teh lsx world but i would think the 317 heads are better in true stock form.
first off, im having to ditch the LQ and ended up going the 5.3L direction. But the reason for the LS1 heads is because of the platform ill be running the motor in (240sx) if i didnt swap heads i would have clearance issues with the stock hood. same thing goes for why i have to use fbody or corvette front accessories

im new to the LSX world as well, but ive owned about 6 240sx's now, all varying degrees of build. this will be my first american powered one lol
Old 02-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Teching In

first off, im having to ditch the LQ and ended up going the 5.3L direction. But the reason for the LS1 heads is because of the platform ill be running the motor in (240sx) if i didnt swap heads i would have clearance issues with the stock hood. same thing goes for why i have to use fbody or corvette front accessories

im new to the LSX world as well, but ive owned about 6 240sx's now, all varying degrees of build. this will be my first american powered one lol
gotcha i never knew there was significant height difference. good info
Old 03-01-2012, 12:50 AM
Staging Lane

there actually isnt any height differance in the heads. there is however a huge differance between truck/ car intake manifolds. truck manifold is super tall!

Quick Reply: Lq4 with ls1 top end, what PCM?