Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct Connection of the steam port LS2

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct Connection of the steam port LS2

I am planning on taking my aluminum radiator in and having a barb installed towards the top of the radiator for the steam port. Connecting with rubber vacuum line hose.

Does this sound correct or do I need special hose or a different place selected to route the steam port to?

Thank you
Old 03-08-2012, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

The barb on my 240 is about 4 inches from the top, and I used a cloth reinforced hose, thought I had a pic of the radiator but I don't.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes you can add a port near the top of the Radiator.. some new aftermarket one already have them. Mine is connected this way.

But I would not use Vacumn line.. I don't think it is rated for pressure nor the temp of the engines coolant. You should be able to a rubber heater line or anything else that is rated for the pressure and temp...
Old 03-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bczee
Yes you can add a port near the top of the Radiator.. some new aftermarket one already have them. Mine is connected this way.

But I would not use Vacumn line.. I don't think it is rated for pressure nor the temp of the engines coolant. You should be able to a rubber heater line or anything else that is rated for the pressure and temp...
Heater Hose, got it! I am thinking about selling the BeCool Radiator I have and getting a swap one. The radiator I have has the automatic cooling lines which I now will not use.

Do you have a recommendation on a swap radiator? The BeCool unit I have is huge and goes all the way across the front, not like the stock small block radiator.

Last edited by 1970-Cloned; 03-08-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Can't really say if the BeCool ones have the port or not..

I picked up a eBay Allum radaitor that had the port and also had the correct (or multi size) upper inlet if the radiator. (I recall the eBay store was Universal).

Suggest you call BeCool or others to question them or wait for others to chim in..

BC
Old 03-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bczee
Can't really say if the BeCool ones have the port or not..

I picked up a eBay Allum radaitor that had the port and also had the correct (or multi size) upper inlet if the radiator. (I recall the eBay store was Universal).

Suggest you call BeCool or others to question them or wait for others to chim in..

BC
Thank you, I posted a new thread to get more traction and views on radiator selection. It has been a while since I have even touched the car. Hopefully I can get it running soon.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Teching In

I just finished up an ls1 t56 swap in my 69 Camaro. I already had an aluminum radiator so I tig welded an aluminum pipe thread fitting right below the water neck and threaded a hose barb fitting to it. Heater hose is the only way to go. I noticed the steam port gets hot before the thermostat opens. Some people pipe it to the top of the water pump...not sure about this. I think it is best to run it to the upper most part of your cooling system so air can bleed out. Griffin also makes a swap radiator that I believe is quite a bit cheaper than be cool. I have a northern brand from summit with one fan and so far so good for cooling. It was challenging finding radiator hoses for the different end sizes but I was able to do it. Hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ben

Saw you new post. . I had time to look up what I was using on eBay.. they are still marketing the same one and there are some other setup being posted.. I put the links on your new thread.

Hope it helps you figure out which way your going with it.

BC

Quick Reply: Correct Connection of the steam port LS2