Sponsored by:

Shoe horn LS in 1975 Chevy van G10 shorty

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shoe horn LS in 1975 Chevy van G10 shorty

Good-day Guys :

I have looked high and low to find someone that's swapped an LS into a early Chevy van G10 (My avatar). Has it been done ? Like everyone has said ...it's been tried??? My family has owned this surfer van sense new in 1975. It's smog exempted. Right now it has a tired old 350/350 in it. Was going to do the 383 route but ...a big but ...I'm getting the LS bug.... ..Better gas mileage would be a + too

Last edited by Stingxray; 04-05-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:09 AM
TECH Resident

you need to paint it the same colors as the A-Team van. I doubt its been done. Do it and have fun with it.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say there is no shoe horn'ing required, since it's pretty much the same size as an SBC but I've taken an SBC out of a van....shoehorns and torches required. The good news is an LSx won't fit any worse.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

It really only comes down to motor mount adapters, exhaust and tranny choices.
My suggestion would be to pick up a 6.0/6.2 liter iron block truck drop out package with the tranny. You will also want the ECU and wire harness. A good cheap setup would be a lq4 with 4speed auto, cable style throttle body, keep the stock exhaust manifolds. If you want more power, swap the cam and tune the ecu really well.
I bet you can do the complete swap for under 5k including the cost of the motor and trans. You'll need to deal with the fuel system for EFI, and the driveshaft if you want to use the 4speed auto. Easily done with a little research here.

That's less than a well built 383/th350 combo. With better mileage and great reliability.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have also looked and researched, but have found no converted Van as of yet..I would like to do a smog legal swap (maybe e-Rod ?) on my 79 SWB G30 that is a Pathfinder 4x4 Conversion.

The only area I would question is the Side of the engine width.. The Gen III/IV is wider that a SBC and most of the Truck Header are really wide. would need to use something narrow or custom Headers, but you can get away with anything since your Smog exempt.

Front and Height wise. There should be no problem. But the last 1/2 of the engine with Manifold could be tight.. and with my 4x4 conversion, 1/8" steel plate are welding in along the frame rail to re-enforce the frame for the 4x4 and Leaf spring conversion.

Keep me posted if you take it on or find someone who had one !

BC

Last edited by bczee; 04-04-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Default G series

Thanks for the input guys ..... BCZEE I'll keep looking for someone's swap ....Found some Big Block in earlys.

Here's some info on G series.......... engine dog house size's

1971 thru 1973? first design, key in dash, column thru floor, direct hookup to steering box, passenger framerail in front of crossmember angles out toward van front corner.

1974 thru 1981? second design dash resembles later dashes, may fit but is different due to column angle and key in dash. Column more thru floor, direct hookup to steering box, passenger framerail in front of crossmember still angles out. Narrow engine bay and doghouse.

1984 thru 1995 Change in column angle. Column now thru firewall, has dirve shaft w/2 U-joints connecting to steering box, passenger framerail in front of crossmember now mostly parallel to driverside. Both framerail ends go under radiator. Wide engine bay and doghouse, and doghouse cover ... for diesel option.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Default Fitment into G series Chevy van

Ok I have been continuing the search for someone with a LSX swap in the early (71-84) Chevy van with the small engine compartment ( Pre diesel dog house) I can only find this big block swap shown below. But .... I am encouraged by these photos .... because the BBC is wider than the LSX series. It will still be a tight squeeze with block hugger headers and such .

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/796339...et-van/page-13

Last edited by Stingxray; 04-05-2012 at 04:48 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nice find.. let me know what else you turn up. .I am still concern because of my extra steel plate that is used to re-enforce the frame on my Pathfinder conversion.. They used steel plate on each side of the frame. It take out some room to work with. I will get some pictures posted one of the days. maybe this weekend if I get out to it.

But this project is #3 in line, behind my current LS1 into my 71 Nova and then getting my 48 Ford F1 back on the road.

BC
Old 04-06-2012, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

Ah man, you guys are killing me with your vans! I had a '77 G van in high school. I had my chevelle back then too, but have to say the van was the most fun back then.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah... If this Van's a rocking, Don't brother Knocking !

I've had my Van since it was New !.. I ordered it from a Chevy Dealer, After the built, it dropped shipped to Pathfinders (In LA area). Converted and shipped back to the Dealer. By doing this, GM gave full warranty and would service the 4x4 conversion

It is a part of me and I don't want to give it up !..

BC

Last edited by bczee; 09-05-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Man that's unreal. I've always wanted a 4x4 van. I've had my 71 chevelle since new sort of. Gramps bought it in 71 from the dealer, I got driven to school in it growing up and I got it myself over 20 years ago.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Not going to help much but I have a 5.3 in my 1965 chevy van. I plan on putting a 6.0 in my 83 van , keep us informed. Bob
Old 09-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Stingxray, I've been checking this site regularly and found your post. I have a '77 chevy van shorty that I'm "shoehorning" and LS1 and 4L60 out of a 2000 Camaro SS. I just got the engine test fitted today. A lot of clearance issues. Power steering resivior hits the cowl. The trans is a few inches longer. The problem I'm having there is the body crossmember above the tail shaft. I cant' get it high enough to the the 3 degree angle I need for the trans. Plus, since the LS1 is wider I'm having clearance issues on the driver side for the exhaust/headers. I'm thinking about making custom motor mounts to drop the engine about an inch or so. I'm hoping this will give me more clearance for the headers and solve my 3 degree problem for the trans. Anyway I could go all day with issues i've run into. It's fun thought. I just registered for this forum and will add pictures soon.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

77Gvan, looking forward to the pictures..

You are having the some of the problems that I have forseen that I would. My issue would be even worse due to the fact that i have steel plates welded around the front part of the unibody to re-enforce the frame from just rear of the rear spring mount forward and that would create even more of a driver side exhaust problem.

I do have room to lower my engine with some fabricated mounts to lower, as the conversion used a fabricated Crossmember that has room between the crossmember and engine pan.

Could you try a different front accessory setup other than a F-bod/LS1 ?... maybe a vette or truck setup ?

keep the info going... hopefully by the time I start doing mine, You guys will have it all figured out..!

BC

Last edited by bczee; 09-05-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

Does your van have a sub-frame? If so it should be pretty easy, other wise your gonna have to remove the whole chassis anyway. Once you do that, replacing all the other important parts will come into play. Just an idea. I agree with the 6.0 but a 5.3 is cheaper, if finances is a liability. Anyway seems like a good project, good luck.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Default G series --- LS Swap

77Gvan:

Welcome to LS1tech:
I saw your photos on your other thread this morning. Your right the exhaust was my biggest worry. Front pulley clearance issue's can be dealt with by spending money on aftermarket setups. Many Variations out there and fortunately I don't need a Air Conditioning compressor.. Just Alternator water pump & power steering. Lowering the engine mounts is a way to gain room on left side , but be cautious to other interference with pan. Could get expensive. I bought a 700R4 cross member for my OEM turbo350 van. Its swopped back further for the longer trans. We could add length to the cross member to get the right drive line angle too. Right now I'm installing a 31 gal stainless Fuel tank. And a Dana 60 rear so haven't even started on the motor yet. One note. I'm going to add another full length steel fuel line (3/8) for the the supply and use the original steel line for return. Still have the charcoal canister line but will leave that alone as it was too small for return line purposes. Good-luck ..don't get discouraged. Every problem can be managed, just have to go about it the right way. Regards GRA3
Old 10-01-2012, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

If your considering converting to a 4x4 van. try this link

http://www.pathfinder-vans.com/

My van has been no-op'd for the pas 2 year due to it failing the SMOG test here in Calif.. that is why I am considering a swap, but it has to be SMOG legal and re-cert'd.

I'll see if I can get some pictures of my problems on doing the swap due to the re-enforced frame and new Crossmember.. also.. there is no rear crossmember.. due to the the NP205 transfercase. Which is will it connects to the frame.

BC
Old 10-16-2012, 02:33 AM
Teching In

Default LS1 in G-20

Here is a bussiness in Montebello , CA that put a LS style in a Chevy Van G Series . Looks to have the larger engine bay 1980 7 UP. Might have some good ideas , pointers, remedies Etc.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Good find, can you provide more info or pictures ?

Would like to see some more pictures of the exhaust manifold area and what Exhaust manifolds are they using.. Also, did they recert it for Smog ?

BC
Old 10-16-2012, 10:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingxray
Here is a bussiness in Montebello , CA that put a LS style in a Chevy Van G Series . Looks to have the larger engine bay 1980 7 UP. Might have some good ideas , pointers, remedies Etc.
Is B.A. Baracus doing the work?

Quick Reply: Shoe horn LS in 1975 Chevy van G10 shorty