Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First LS Swap into burnt' 91' Z28

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 07:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First LS Swap into burnt' 91' Z28

Project-91' Z28-The resurrection............

So, the story goes like this for my build, rescued a 91' Z28 from the local insurance auction, it had been in a fire. Luckily, somebody had the presence of mind to put it out before it was a total loss! The firewall got pretty hot from what I can tell, but the fire remained centrally located in the engine bay and didn't destroy everything(about75%). I had been looking off and on for a roller or good donor car for my fascination of the LS swap into a 3rd gen, and this , well it just fit the bill! Been doing lots of research, but will definately need some assisance in this endeavor of mine!

Some project goals as of right now...
1. Get the swap out completed of burnt'TPI 350 for a 5.3 or 6.0L and get it funtional.
2. would like to lighten the car as much as possible
3. may see some street use, but mostly strip
4. thinkin' ("ultimately"-over probably a year or two) end up round 550-600 hp range, possibly w/turbo
5. may run e-85, have already converted my last car, and loved it!
6. keep in mind budget is tight, but I do expect to take time and do it right.

Couple of questions off the top...
1. TPI engine harness ok to do the splice for LS? read a few places ecommending the TBI or V6?
2. I'd like to run a good tubular K-member, but not sure what to get?
on that note, if u run a tubular do u still need an aftermarket pan, or modify a pan? I've seen and read lots of people chopping the stock k-member for fitment.
3. do I even need the stock ECU wires from pass. side of the engine bay?

Some pics of my Project 91'...

Finally pics are up and will try to post more over the weekend , thankx guyz!

Thankx for checkin' out my thread!
Old 03-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pix up! ;-)
Old 03-16-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up Cool...

THAT'S going to be an interesting build, I'm not sure what kinds of challenges you're going to run into due to the fire, so I'm going to be following this build with some interest...

You certainly can use the TPI harness with the swap, I think that people are suggesting the use of a V6/TBI harness so that you can sell the TPI harness to someone who's doing a TPI swap into a street rod/pickup/whatever - but there's no reason that the TPI harness won't work...

Generally speaking, if you have a tubular K-member, you're probably going to have plenty of room for the oil pan - but I'd still confirm that...

If you haven't seen it yet, it might be helpful to check out my build thread (just click on the picture in my signature) - I certainly haven't run into ALL of the possible problems/issues, but I've run into a few... And of course the swap forum on TGO will probably be invaluable for ya!!

Good luck with the build!
Old 03-17-2012, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking

Originally Posted by Paintphreak
The firewall got pretty hot from what I can tell, but the fire remained centrally located in the engine bay and didn't destroy everything(about75%).

Figured you could use a picture for your signature...

(Here's hoping that you don't have much reason to use the smiley during your build!)

Quick Reply: First LS Swap into burnt' 91' Z28