Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo with MAF

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo with MAF

After alot of research reading everyone's posts, I have decided to use only one turbo. If I still use the MAF sensor should I put it between the air filter and the turbo or between the turbo and TB? I also have a 2 BAR MAP sensor that will snap right on the truck intake like the origional one. Will I need to recalibrate the tune or will the PCM adjust for the new sensor?
Old 03-18-2012, 07:38 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99VetteFRC
After alot of research reading everyone's posts, I have decided to use only one turbo. If I still use the MAF sensor should I put it between the air filter and the turbo or between the turbo and TB? I also have a 2 BAR MAP sensor that will snap right on the truck intake like the origional one. Will I need to recalibrate the tune or will the PCM adjust for the new sensor?
most people do a blow thru set up so the maf is after the turbo.

you will need to invest in a 2bar os for that 2bar map to work. it is another $100 from hptuners.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a 2bar SD OS from HPT.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:48 PM
single digit dreamer

I have a 2bar SD OS from HPT.
oh, then yes you do need to tell it what sensor you have. it is under "engine diag" then "airflow"
Old 03-19-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

How do I do that? Pretty sure I just can't type in the part number! lmao! Still very new at the whole tuning thing.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:47 AM
single digit dreamer

How do I do that? Pretty sure I just can't type in the part number! lmao! Still very new at the whole tuning thing.
if you have a 2 bar you put 200(kpa) in the spot where it says "map sensor linear"

i see on my tune there is something called offset which i have at 10(kpa). not sure if that is correct and it likely varies for each sensor but it is working so i am leaving it alone.

tuning is kind of tricky and then tuning a boosted set up with a 2bar sensor adds a few steps to your normal tuning. you are going to have a steep learning curve. take your time, do not just go out and floor it no matter how badly you might want to.

log stuff like timing, knock retard, a/f ratio. you will need a wideband and you will want to figure out how to tie it into the computer so you can log it with everything else.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found that in most boosted set-ups you will want the MAF right before the TB but the BOV should be between the turbo and inlet to intercooler. When you snap the throttle closed the reversion it creates has a tendency to send a MAF wild because air begins to back flow thru the MAF and you get crazy readings. Since hte turbo is still spinning, you want to bleed off the boost as fast as possible to keeping it close to the turbo seems to be the most effective.

Have seen this done on MAF'd Procharged set-ups a lot.

Good luck man...killer build!

Dave
Old 03-20-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BanditDave
I have found that in most boosted set-ups you will want the MAF right before the TB but the BOV should be between the turbo and inlet to intercooler. When you snap the throttle closed the reversion it creates has a tendency to send a MAF wild because air begins to back flow thru the MAF and you get crazy readings. Since hte turbo is still spinning, you want to bleed off the boost as fast as possible to keeping it close to the turbo seems to be the most effective.

Have seen this done on MAF'd Procharged set-ups a lot.

Good luck man...killer build!

Dave
I was on the right track then. It will be awhile before I can intercool it though. LOL, at this rate it's gonna be a while before I can even put the turbos on. Still need the BOV and wastegates and injectors. Injectors are gonna have to wait till I win the lottery at this point.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was on the right track then. It will be awhile before I can intercool it though. LOL, at this rate it's gonna be a while before I can even put the turbos on. Still need the BOV and wastegates and injectors. Injectors are gonna have to wait till I win the lottery at this point.
You're doing exactly what I am...right now I am just enjoying the car as is NA and collecting parts. I have the CTS-V pump for it and the turbo, but still have to save for the BOV, WG and boost controller.

I'd rather enjoy my car for now then let it stay laid up for months.

BTW, you have any more pics of your car's paint job...just realized where I got my inspiration for my 442's paint job....your car!!!

Dave
Old 03-20-2012, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BanditDave
You're doing exactly what I am...right now I am just enjoying the car as is NA and collecting parts. I have the CTS-V pump for it and the turbo, but still have to save for the BOV, WG and boost controller.

I'd rather enjoy my car for now then let it stay laid up for months.

BTW, you have any more pics of your car's paint job...just realized where I got my inspiration for my 442's paint job....your car!!!

Dave
my friend and I painted it in his garage back in 05, it was the only one that I saw in that scheme. Then when I started showing it, all kinds of people started painting them like this. BCZEE's car is done like this too, he painted hi first though. Never saw it till I got on this site though. LMAO.

I guess I should upload some to an album.Turbo with MAF-407.jpg

Turbo with MAF-413.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Turbo with MAF-428.jpg   Turbo with MAF-429.jpg  
Old 03-21-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by parish8
if you have a 2 bar you put 200(kpa) in the spot where it says "map sensor linear"

i see on my tune there is something called offset which i have at 10(kpa). not sure if that is correct and it likely varies for each sensor but it is working so i am leaving it alone.

tuning is kind of tricky and then tuning a boosted set up with a 2bar sensor adds a few steps to your normal tuning. you are going to have a steep learning curve. take your time, do not just go out and floor it no matter how badly you might want to.

log stuff like timing, knock retard, a/f ratio. you will need a wideband and you will want to figure out how to tie it into the computer so you can log it with everything else.
I looked all through my tune and didn't see "map sensor linear" anywhere. I will attach a copy of my tune if you wanna look and see if I missed it. This is the stock tune, I haven't tried to install the 2bar map on here yet. I did change the idle though. LOL, the 800 across the board really helped.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
chevelle 3-3-12.hpt (496.5 KB, 202 views)
Old 03-21-2012, 08:51 PM
single digit dreamer

I looked all through my tune and didn't see "map sensor linear" anywhere. I will attach a copy of my tune if you wanna look and see if I missed it. This is the stock tune, I haven't tried to install the 2bar map on here yet. I did change the idle though. LOL, the 800 across the board really helped.
are you sure you have the 2 bar os applied? i dont think it will show up till you have that done and at that point it will let you tell it what map you have.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have done nothing at this point. Just gathering info. I did copy the 2bar prinary ve table and put it in the stock tune last night. Haven't put it in the car yet though. Do you think this will work?
Old 03-22-2012, 06:11 AM
single digit dreamer

pretty sure you need to apply the 2bar os before the option to change what map sensor you have will come up.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Will the 2 bar SD OS allow me to run a MAF? I thought the SD was to get rid of MAF? It did let me copy the VE table from the 2bar to the stock tune.Not sure if its gonna work...lol
Old 03-22-2012, 04:35 PM
single digit dreamer

Will the 2 bar SD OS allow me to run a MAF? I thought the SD was to get rid of MAF? It did let me copy the VE table from the 2bar to the stock tune.Not sure if its gonna work...lol
yes you can still run the maf if you like. some like to use both and say it gives you better drive ability. others just do one or the other.

if it were mine i would just do a 2bar os and speed density only. it should offer you rtt(real time tuning) which makes tuning sd faster.

i just looked at your tune again. if i am reading it right it does look like you have an os enhancement but it isn't to a 2bar.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by parish8
yes you can still run the maf if you like. some like to use both and say it gives you better drive ability. others just do one or the other.

if it were mine i would just do a 2bar os and speed density only. it should offer you rtt(real time tuning) which makes tuning sd faster.

i just looked at your tune again. if i am reading it right it does look like you have an os enhancement but it isn't to a 2bar.
I don't have the 2BAR installed at the moment. I have a 2BAR os I downloaded from HTP, just not using it yet 'cuz i'm still running NA. I am trying to get all the info I can as I wanna have the turbo(s) on the car in a few weeks.

Quick Reply: Turbo with MAF