Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's still grinning with LS performance despite going w/stock exhaust manifolds?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Who's still grinning with LS performance despite going w/stock exhaust manifolds?

I've had a no go w/2 headers on my 71 Cutlass, and am considering just going w/a set of LS3 Camaro exhaust manifolds. Definitely easier, cheaper and long term friendly. I know its going to cost me power up top in a big way, and some across the curve. But I'm probably never going to be above 6k, and only infrequently going above 5k--my car is a driver. So, for those that went with exhaust manifolds, do you still grin with all the power or do you wish you'd went w/headers? My other option right now is BRP mid-length headers (hedman) and I haven't been able to find a report on these from somebody w/an abody. FYI, I have an LY6 w/Mast VVT cam.

Thoughts?
Old 03-28-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could ask this guy 67 goat dyno he made 391hp through a 6.0l with a cam and stock 98-02 manis.

Here is his build thread.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-ls3-swap.html
Old 03-28-2012, 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Headers are a right of hot ridding passage
Old 03-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I went with the new TSP 1 3/4" headers.My engine setup is low and forward My F-body pan is about 1/2" above the x-member. The passengers side bolted up fine but it is tight at the back of the x member. The driverside not so good the # 1 tube hits the x member and needs to drop 3/4" in the rear for header bolts to line-up.
I had already planned for this so I dished-out by x member on both sides to allow for any more engine movement. The driver side collector does point outboard more than the passenger side and neither will align with the Trans stock cross members cut-outs but thats an easy fix.
These headers hang flush with the bottom of the Trans Pan and for 450 shipped I couldn't be happier but you need to be willing to do some mods to fit them in.

One more thing my TB SS stock manifolds fit fine, about 1/2" away from the framerails at the rather large flanges.

oh yeah 68 Chevelle

Tony

Last edited by tmcmillan5; 03-28-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm using F-body manifolds and as I told my GF when I got home today, "I was in 2nd gear and punched it and screamed 'JEEEEEEEEESSSSSS' then I hit 3rd gear and screamed 'UUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSS' and then laughed the rest of the way down the road.

I didn't and don't really plan on daily driving my swap, but have been that last few weeks and it already has a good enough power to weight ratio so I'll still likely not worry about headers down the road.

To be honest I'm thinking about redoing my exhaust w/ smaller pipes and mufflers. Currently running 2.5" from the manifolds to a single 3" the rest of the way. It's not very loud, but just a little more than I'd like for trying to stay under the radar.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking

Originally Posted by rotor vs. piston
I'm using F-body manifolds and as I told my GF when I got home today, "I was in 2nd gear and punched it and screamed 'JEEEEEEEEESSSSSS' then I hit 3rd gear and screamed 'UUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSS' and then laughed the rest of the way down the road.
THAT'S freakin' awesome...!!

I've been trying to decide whether or not it's worth it to use the F-body manifolds that I have - but it sounds like they'll be AT LEAST worthwhile enough to get the clutch broken in... (And hopefully by then I'll have been able to save enough to either build or buy a set of long-tubes...)
Old 03-29-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Hey there...check out my build thread...restarting - LY6 with Lunati cam, LS3 intake, LS3 Camaro Manifolds.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/DSCN0254.jpg

They fit great and should have the car out shortly for some rompin'! Wanted to keep the column shift for the stealthy look...plus I planned to go boosted soon anyway. I wanted rock solid reliability out of this car.

Here's a start up with exhaust vid:

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Dave
Old 03-29-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Stock exhaust manifolds for LS motors are not that bad. Unless you are running a ***** out motor I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. I have shorty pipes on my otherwise stock LS2 and it definitely gets me on down the road.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:58 PM
9 Second Club

I'm using stock truck manifolds reversed so the end point forward. Good enough for for 965RWHP on the last dyno tune. A little bit more now with some small changes. Perhaps 975RWHP. Another thing I've seen folks do is to port them really well with some excellent results.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:16 PM
TECH Regular

I have a 67 chevelle convertible with stock ls1 and 4l60e,its a cruiser with stock f body manifolds that fit like they were made for it.Dual dynomax turbo mufflers.Not loud at all,just enough to give that muscle car sound.Runs great and gets 25mpg on the road.Nothing wrong with manifolds especially on a driver/cruiser.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What do those midlengths headers you are thinking of getting look like?
I posted up some headers i tried and i tried a set of mid lengths and they didnt fit at all. I also dont know what brand they were.
I tried some some pace setter shortys for an fbody. The driver fits easy, passenger header hits the crossmember. I may use stock fbody manis or these pacesetters. Ill just have to cut & reweld one tube for a good fit.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used truck maifolds and cut the flanges off an MIGed V-Bands on the ends. Works great and fits perfect. Will flip them when turbos go on. And I just used a couple of 2.5" U-bends and some straight pipe and connected them directly to the exhaust that was on the car with BBC and headers. LOVE IT!!!
Attached Thumbnails Who's still grinning with LS performance despite going w/stock exhaust manifolds?-dscn1183.jpg   Who's still grinning with LS performance despite going w/stock exhaust manifolds?-dscn1130.jpg   Who's still grinning with LS performance despite going w/stock exhaust manifolds?-dscn1129.jpg   Who's still grinning with LS performance despite going w/stock exhaust manifolds?-dscn1128.jpg   Who's still grinning with LS performance despite going w/stock exhaust manifolds?-dscn1131.jpg  

Old 03-30-2012, 05:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe LS3 Camaro manifolds have 2.25in exit diameter and wondering about the transition into 2.5 in dual exhaust. Wondering if there is enough material to expand the manifold exit to 2.5in to immediately fit my exhaust?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Addict

I used a set of stock LS2 Corvette manifolds and I am 99% sure the outlet was 2.5", which if you really wanted to, would be plenty of pipe all the way back. I actually necked mine down to 2.25" after the catalytic converters... it's supposed to keep exhaust gas velocity up or something like that.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Goldhawg
I believe LS3 Camaro manifolds have 2.25in exit diameter and wondering about the transition into 2.5 in dual exhaust. Wondering if there is enough material to expand the manifold exit to 2.5in to immediately fit my exhaust?
If you get them like I did, they cut the manifold head pipe just in front of the cat so there was room to port it out to 2.5 and just butt weld the 2.5 pipe right up to it. I marked where the 2.5 would lay then ground a smooth transition to meet it. You can kind of see it in this view. I will take a better one when I get home.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

I'm running LS6 Vette cast headers on my LS1. They're a tri-Y design, 2 1/2" outlet, and support the 405HP LS6. Yeah, long tubes are nice, however these have factory heat shields and above all, are not prone to leak like tubing headers.

Andy1
Attached Thumbnails Who's still grinning with LS performance despite going w/stock exhaust manifolds?-vette-headers1.jpg   Who's still grinning with LS performance despite going w/stock exhaust manifolds?-vette-headers2-small.jpg  
Old 03-30-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Andy1
I'm running LS6 Vette cast headers on my LS1. They're a tri-Y design, 2 1/2" outlet, and support the 405HP LS6. Yeah, long tubes are nice, however these have factory heat shields and above all, are not prone to leak like tubing headers.

Andy1
But do those clear the crossmbr on an A-body?
Old 03-30-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Going to guess no. Would like to be wrong though, always good to have more options.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Goldhawg
But do those clear the crossmbr on an A-body?
Not even a prayer...
Old 03-30-2012, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im running 98 vette manifolds. I cut the AIR fittings off and welded them shut. .They look and fit great.

Quick Reply: Who's still grinning with LS performance despite going w/stock exhaust manifolds?