Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 Intake pipe and filter, how should I mount it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 Intake pipe and filter, how should I mount it?

I've been searching on this, but I'm a little confused. I've already figured out what intake elbow, MAF mount and filter I need, but I'm not sure how to mount it. This is on an LS3 into a 68 camaro with a card style MAF. My plan is to use a 4" 90 degree silicon elbow -> Spectre 9705 maf tube with honeycomb insert -> 4" silicone coupler -> measured length of 4" pipe -> K&N RC-3600. What I'm not clear on at this point is what keeps that pipe and filter from just flopping around, are there mounting clamps I need to secure it to the chassis somewhere, and if so, where? I've been searching for pictures of this, but can't seem to find the money shot.

If anyone sees a problem with the intake kit I've proposed above I'd appreciate a "Don't do that dummy!" as well. This is my first time piping an intake to a fuel injected engine, go easy on me . FWIW, I already have the MAF, came with the engine.

Thanks
Old 04-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Post some pics if what parts you have and the engine compartment
Old 04-15-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spectre has an adaptor kit just for such a thing...Check there web site.....
Rick
Old 04-15-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I've done in the past is to attach the filter to the tube, put a hose clamp around the filter's base, drill holes through all three pieces, & use sheetmetal screws to hold it all together. (Of course, that's in cases where the filter is a pretty close fit to the tube.) The other thing that I've thought of doing is to use little L-shaped pieces of metal (ideally aluminum) to attach the tubing to the radiator core support (or whatever's closest to the tube in question). You can attach the little L-shaped pieces of metal to the tube with either JB Weld or additional sheetmetal screws. Wouldn't think it'd be too difficult...

Hope this helps.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by flywheel
Spectre has an adaptor kit just for such a thing...Check there web site.....
Rick
I saw the spectre kit, but it's about twice what I want to pay for it, and looked like I'd have to do a ton of drilling; something I'm trying to avoid.

The car is in this thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...68-camaro.html

I don't have any of the accessories on, but I'm going to be with the car most of May, so my hope is to have the engine running before I leave. I guess I should probably not order any of this stuff until I get more of the stuff assembled so I have a better feel of where everything is going to be. I just want to have most of the parts there and ready to go so I'm not waiting for something to show up in the mail while I'm there.

Quick Reply: LS3 Intake pipe and filter, how should I mount it?