Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 into a 1970 El Camino help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 into a 1970 El Camino help!!!

Hey guys this is my first post everyone kept telling me to come here and ppl would help so this is me trying to get some help on my project....

I have a 1970 El Camino

i want to install a ls2 with a 6 speed

i want to know how much im looking at and the do's and the don'ts
also what do i need besides the engine, trans, and ecu...
this car isnt going to be raced just my daily driver so i dont want anything crazy maybe a little beef compared to a stock ls2 ... thanks for your time
Old 04-20-2012, 05:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The best advice I can give is to look at the stickies, you should be able to find the answers to all of your questions. You can also look at any number for build threads to see the pitfalls and solutions. This is a pretty common swap accomplished several ways. Pick a path and stay on it, remember many of the conversion parts don't really play well with others so pay close attention. You will soon discover that some of the cheap stuff will cost far more to make work than just bucking up and buying the right stuff the first time.
Good luck, and post some pictures of the car and your progress.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

I will soon know how my combo fits...

Doug's adapter plates
Doug's headers
CTS-V oil pan

Based on some measurements I'm thinking the sump of the pan will hang about 1/4" below crossmember.

Let's see some pics of her!
Old 04-21-2012, 03:47 AM
Staging Lane

My .02

Everything needs to match-- like its already been said, some parts don't play nice. Headers, motor mounts and oil pan were the important players in my swap (68 El Camino, LQ4, 4L80E). I went with hooker mounts, hooker swap headers, and the new holley swap oil pan. I'd say don't waste your time with trying to make a truck pan (often advertised as the generic LH8 pan) work. i cut unnecessary pieces of my truck pan off to get things to fit better, but that route is no where near as clean or worry free as getting the right pan from the get go. Granted, i don't hav fab tools-- my tool box as destructo tools, not rebuild tools...

With the truck pan, the oil pan was the lowest part on the car-- i banged it on the ground more than a few times. That, and the tie rod ends bumped it at full lock. With the holley pan, cross members are the lowest part on the car, not the oil pan. That, and my tie rod ends don't bump it.

Spend the money, ask a lot of questions and do it right the first time. I'm super happy i did it. The car makes 400 whp and gets 18 - 19 mpg on the freeway. not great mileage, but it starts everytime, and the go pedal works everytime. No complaints.

Few more details, just to give you an idea on price...
I wanted to do it right, once. so i bought:
-Spectre Premium tank, and beefy intake pump with -8an lines,
-nice aluminum radiator with dual spal fans,
-edelbrock pro flo xt manifold, rails and trottle body,
-texas speed cam,
-dart heads,
-hooker headers,
-arp connecting rod bolts (weak link on some of these motors)
-4L80E trans with 3000 stall converter,
-new driveshaft,
-Ford 9" out back

Thats all the big stuff, but the list of everything you need can get long and super specific real quick. I set aside $8k, i probably spent upwards of $12k doing all the install work myself, then getting it dyno tuned.

Good luck!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutly buy a pullout and get everything you can from the donor vehicle. That is good insurance that all the electronics will be happy. The price of your install will very greatly on how crazy you get and what engine trans combo you find. I put a used 4.8 from ebay in my 70 and I have less that $3k including 2 turbos and HP Tuners. I love my little engine way more that the 454, it was the best swap I've done to date. When I get the turbos on it will make more power and get better mpg. Check out my thread, I made some mistakes cus I didn't listen to some guys here but I also learned some stuff.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spend about every moment you can reading the build threads but that can take forever, but ull learn quite a bit. This will all depend on how much money you have or want to spend as there are many routes to take with mounts, exhaust, oil pan, intakes, wiring, tuning, etc.... Do you wanna go show car looks or go cheaper n drive it daily?
Old 04-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Teching In

One of the first things I would say is don't bother buying the super expensive swap headers. Find a pair of used LS1 pace setters from a 98-2001 f-body. They fit like they were made for our cars. You have to change the angle of the collect on the drivers side but you can usually find a pair for $100 or so so its worth paying some one to re-weld if you cant do it or have a buddy who can. 1'' set back adapter plates worked good for me. Got a set of ebay for about $25. Some people say they can get the 6 speed to fit without cutting the trans tunnel but I sure couldn't so be prepared to cut and patch it. Also if you are using the drive by wire TB make sure you get the pedal and tac module. I used a truck pedal but you have to cut about 3" out of it to make it fit. I didn't do the in tank pump I used a walbro 255 external with my stock tank and sending unit. You will need a 3/8 fuel line from tank to engine plus a regulator somewhere. You need to think about an electric speedo or getting a converter box to run it since the signal from the trans will be electric now. I used a stock master cylinder from a 2001 camaro for the clutch with an adapter bracket off ebay, it fit great. Theres is tons more that you will need but I agree with oldgoat that you need to read the stickies and 99vette when he says get a complete pullout. If you don't like I didn't it will nickle and dime you to death trying to get everything put together.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah had I not decided to use turbos I could have done my swap for less than $1200. But I used stock engine, truck manifolds, and all the truck accessories. I just mounted my stuff in the car as low as I could but still have clearance for everything. With CTS-V pan, fits like it was meant to be there.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Everyone has offered great advice. You may also want to look at bczee's thread about his 71. Good stuff here. I used an Impala SS tank with a BBK pump at the rear. I have an LQ with 4L60E and a Magnacharger. I used DBW and OEM wiring harness with a custom fuse/relay block. I also used an LS swap radiator and F-body fans. My plan was to have the install look like GM did it, so it is not a "Show" look. Like LSxchevelle I have used the Dougs headers and mounts with a Canton pan. If you wish I can provide part numbers. I also used truck accessories. I am very pleased with the results. Still need some tuning but it gets low 20's mpg on some short road trips, and the power is fantastic. I have had 10 second cars before but this is way more fun to drive.

Last edited by oldgoat69; 04-22-2012 at 06:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-23-2012, 03:31 AM

Thanks guys for all your help its been great reading everything... thanks again

Quick Reply: LS2 into a 1970 El Camino help!!!