Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supra swap - buying shell

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supra swap - buying shell

Hi all - I haven't seen many threads on what to look for in a frame. I'm wanting to do a MK3 Supra swap with a vortec engine. Goal is a daily driver with about 400-450hp. This will be my first swap and I have a lot to learn about what needs to be done. But I'm going to go veeerryyy slow.

I found the car below for $400. It's an '87 NA shell. Guy says good tires, good interior, and good body. I don't see any rust. It has a good title too. Not sure how many accessories or other components are still under the hood. I know that I'll probably need a parts car in addition to this one (particularly I know I'll need the LSD from the turbo model).

Nonetheless, any thoughts? Concerns? Here's some images:

Additionally, is there a consensus on what kind of mounts I can use for this swap? Will I have to get them custom fabricated?

THANKS!
Old 04-24-2012, 02:59 AM
On The Tree

I'd personally spend a lil more money on a nicer one. New interior + paint job isnt cheap, on top of all the cash you will spend to swap it.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:38 AM
Launching!

id buy it for $400... looks good and if you decide to scrap the whole build just part it out for more.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Teching In

It looks like an excellent shell. If there is no rust under the belt line trim pieces, over the wheel wells, or in the quarter panel in front of the doors then it should be good. 87 is a good year to choose for a swap because of the number of cars they produced and they are not as desireable. I know most people here wouldn't use that word for a Mk3 supra but hey I am a fanatic.

You can always convert to 89+ exterior if you want. The sawblades look like they are in good shape too which most have the finish flaking off of them but you can strip them and they look good bare.

Nice find.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the Supra is the only car that's had it's motor swapped into a Camaro and a Camaro's motor swapped into it. Even more weird when you consider the camaro came with a straight 6 too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZqtJTlXON8
Old 12-22-2012, 06:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Updates?

Quick Reply: Supra swap - buying shell