Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on fuel pump pressure regulator.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 08:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question on fuel pump pressure regulator.

My plans are to put a modified 2001 LS1 into my 95 LT1 Camaro. My understanding is that the stock fuel pump will work although I should probably replace or upgrade it because if has over 180K miles on the pump. I will be using the existing fuel and return lines from the car along with a modified LS1 fuel rail with a return, 42 lb. injectors, and hopefully an in tank fuel pump. Questions.. Where is the fuel pressure regulator? Are there differences between the 95 and the 01 pump and regulator? I've seen the easiest way to replace the pump is to cut a hole in the trunk. Should I go with a 240 or 350 LPH pump? What pressure should I run? etc. etc. Any feed back on recommendations would be most helpful.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The 01 had the regulator in the tank, with the pump. On the 95, it was probably on the fuel rail or somewhere close to it.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 99-02 F-Body has the intank pump/regulator. the 97-98 Vettes / F-Body LS1's had the return style fuel rail an regulator.

You can change over to the later F-Body setiup and only need the fuel line to the later fuel rail. Or you can get a 97-98 fuel rail (return style) with your LT1 setup (just change the pump) and use both feed and return lines from the rail.

other options are to use the returnless fuel rail (99-04) and use your LT1 pump sendor (change pump) with a corvette FPR (GF822) as it regulate and return line back to the tank (return line is built in to the FPR).

you got a few options.

BC
Old 04-22-2012, 06:34 AM
Staging Lane

OK I think I'm almost there. Help me work out these options.

Option 1) I purchased a while back a "modified" LS1 fuel rail from "Street and Performance" hotrodlane.cc with the vet pressure regulator and with inlet and return lines. If I use the above what do I need to change? Just the in tank fuel pump to a higher LPH ?

Option 2) I also have the fuel rail that came off my 2001 LS1. If I use this fuel rail set up with only one line, what do I need to do regarding a pump and pressure regulator?

Option 3) "use the returnless fuel rail (99-04) and use your LT1 pump sendor (change pump) with a corvette FPR (GF822) as it regulate and return line back to the tank (return line is built in to the FPR)." Where is my LT1 pump sendor and change my pump to what?

Other questions.. What controls the fuel pressure regulator? Is it strictly mechanical or is there an electrical input from the CPU? I was told I need about 58 to 60 psi for these 42 lb injectors. If so will the corvette FPR GF822 manage that pressure effectively?

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Update to this:
I got off the phone with street and performance who were most helpful so I thought I pass this along.
Regarding option 1) The modified fuel rail they sell has the vet pressure regulator on it with a return line. You run a vacuum line (manifold) to regulator. (Typically from behind the throttle body). During normal running operations the regulator maintains a constant 58 to 60 psi pressure and will handle the 42 lb injectors. During WOT there is no vacuum so the pressure is increased to accommodate demand. The LT1 in tank fuel pump has no pressure regulator so it will work fine as long as it can meet the demand of the motor. My plans are to replace the fuel pump as it has 180k plus miles.

I don't have any updates on the remaining options and hoping someone will chime in.
Thanks. John

Quick Reply: Question on fuel pump pressure regulator.