Sponsored by:

LS accessory mounting options

Old 04-25-2012, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS accessory mounting options

I have an E36 BMW with an LS swap.
I am swapping from a 5.7 to 6.0 LS2

I have a Corvette offset ATI pulley to use with dry sump pump and have LS3 water pump.

I already have an F-body style Turn One power steering pump.

Does anyone know the best options to mount the PS pump and alternator with Corvette offset?

I want mount the alternator low, in the stock F-body position (w/ Vette offset of course).

Suggestion on mounting the PS pump?

Yes I know I can build custom brackets. Just wondering if there's anything factory or aftermarket available to achieve this.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The CTS-V and G8 use this accessory placement with the alternator down low on the drivers side and the PS pump above it. I used this alternator/accessory drive kit in my swap. This has the same offset as the Vette accessories.

I didn't use the PS in my setup but here's where the alternator ends up.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the car is already running, why not just reuse whats on the 5.7. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Old 04-25-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Off topic, I'm curious how well the swap goes through OBD2 inspection? I was under the impression that OBD2 engine swaps would not pass due to the visual inspection?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on what is checked during testing. Most states (not CA) never pop the hood so as long as the OBD2 scanner doesn't see any codes they don't know any better. For instance, in MD, the portion on the VIN that determines what the make of car is that is being tested has to match the old computer. Different makes of cars use different communication formats to talk to the emissions scanner.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled accessories...
Old 04-26-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the input, but I already know all the local technicalities. My original question was specific to the original poster because we are both in the same location, Raleigh NC. NC legally does not allow engine swaps in OBD2 vehicles (1996-newer), but I'm sure people get away with it, I'm curious how easy it is to get away with. Obviously it's easy if you put a Ford engine in a Ford, etc, but a Chevy in a BMW is noticeable. I was told by a few inspectors here locally they will not inspect / pass an OBD2 engine swap car. None of them seem to care about OBD1 swap cars because here they are emissions exempt. I'm curious if the inspectors I spoke with were draconian or typical.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by usdmholden
Thanks for the input, but I already know all the local technicalities. My original question was specific to the original poster because we are both in the same location, Raleigh NC. NC legally does not allow engine swaps in OBD2 vehicles (1996-newer), but I'm sure people get away with it, I'm curious how easy it is to get away with. Obviously it's easy if you put a Ford engine in a Ford, etc, but a Chevy in a BMW is noticeable. I was told by a few inspectors here locally they will not inspect / pass an OBD2 engine swap car. None of them seem to care about OBD1 swap cars because here they are emissions exempt. I'm curious if the inspectors I spoke with were draconian or typical.
Register your car in a non-emissions county in NC. They only check for safety and do not connect to ODB-II.

Once swapped, the ODB-II shows the VIN for whatever PCM you swapped into the car, ie. mine says 99' Camaro w/ the Camaro VIN. That will never pass in an emissions county.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Speed Demon
Register your car in a non-emissions county in NC. They only check for safety and do not connect to ODB-II.

Once swapped, the ODB-II shows the VIN for whatever PCM you swapped into the car, ie. mine says 99' Camaro w/ the Camaro VIN. That will never pass in an emissions county.
Thanks, that was nearly exactly the reason I was asking. My daily driver Mustang is OBD1, so no issues for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS accessory mounting options