Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mount

I am installing a 04 ls6 with modified 4th gen oil pan, 5th gen manifolds into a 67 firebird that now has a sbc/th350 with solid motor mounts, I would like to keep the solid mounts but cant seem to get a straight answer on what adapter plates i need to buy, stock location, 1", 1.5" ?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Teching In

......?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The stock location brackets will push the LS motor back towards the firewall so that the transmission bellhousing starts in the same (old) place. Most applications are fine to use the stock location brackets. Keep in mind that if you push the engine back any further, you may run out of room at the firewall and in your tunnel.

However, it is only an inch. If you are concerned about space because the car is a bit small, you can always get the adjustable plates.

There are at least two active threads with Gen 1 Camaros being built in this section. You will probably find all the info you need on your plates in there.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Standard Adapter plates will leave a gap between the engine flange and the Trans Flange if the Transmission is in the stock locationl. To resolve the location/space issue, 1" setback will move the engine back to meet the Transmission flange. That is pretty much standard. But using 1" setback plate will place the engine Right side head very close to the firewall as the Gen III/IV engines rear engine flange is shorter than a SBC, this is where the missing 1" is, most likely GM shorten the block to be able to install in smaller engine Bays where space is a problem.

The other options is to use Standard plates and move the Trans forward to meet the Engine.

Most if not all Solid mount should have the same mounting location and heights as normal Engine Mounts (be they are T/N or S/W). You failed to state what transmission your using. But if you are keeping or putting the Transmission in the stock location, (that being the Trans Flange location), 1" setback plates and your Solid mounts should put your engine in the ball park (granted there is always minor tweeking).

Hopefully that is what your looking for.

BC
Old 05-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Teching In

its a th350, I have no issue moving the trans forward, the drivshaft thats in the car is alittle long anyway, thanks for the help