Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How LOW can an Ls1 get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How LOW can an Ls1 get?

I am seriously interested in an LS1 for my 79 trans am. My concern is that I want to have the shaker function, with an air box under it. I want to have it fit, and am wondering how low you can get an LS1 in a 2nd gen fbody with the stock subframe.

This one is an LS7 with a dry sump.

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 1998-02 F-body pan is pretty short in the front. (See the sticky at the top of the Conversions section for measurements of the F-body pan.)

That shaker "intake" with the snorkel going down to the throttle body is really impressive. Think that's available aftermarket or is it a 1-off custom piece?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,368 Likes on 2,085 Posts

That is the Year One trans-am, and most of the car is a one off deal, BUT they were supposedly going to market these cars to the public. Had some sort of deal wiith Burt Reynolds. Give them a call. Maybe they can give you a part number, or tell you who built it for them. I've been under the hood of this car. It's REAL nice.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

I am actually less concerned with making that custom piece as I am getting enough space to have one. I am concerned the LS1 will sit too high and then a box that size doesn't fit. I don't think the LS1 will sit as low as the LS7, and that will be the problem.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You could always dry sump the LS1. Not a cheap solution for sure. My guess the problem isn't the bottom of the pan but where the front of the motor that goes over the cross member.

I'll bet if you ran a carb you could hook it into that shaker intake. It would unquestionably be a lot less restrictive by removing all those bends. Or to stay EFI something like a fast EFI or MSD atomic on a carb intake.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
You could always dry sump the LS1. Not a cheap solution for sure. My guess the problem isn't the bottom of the pan but where the front of the motor that goes over the cross member.

I'll bet if you ran a carb you could hook it into that shaker intake. It would unquestionably be a lot less restrictive by removing all those bends. Or to stay EFI something like a fast EFI or MSD atomic on a carb intake.
Yeah I guess that curve could rob some power. I just like the idea of a FI motor that doesn't look out of place.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:08 PM
ModSquad

Can you get an aftermarket hood with a taller cowl? Maybe even modify your existing hood?
Old 05-02-2012, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read our ls7 is supposedly "damp sump" I wonder if a true dry sump would have an even shorter pan?
Old 05-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Can you get an aftermarket hood with a taller cowl? Maybe even modify your existing hood?
I want to retain a stock looking car
Originally Posted by t/a98
I've read our ls7 is supposedly "damp sump" I wonder if a true dry sump would have an even shorter pan?
I really don't want to dry sump just because of the cost.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Andrew B on this forum has a GTO he did. Ill see if i can dig up a picture of his.
*edit, found it*

Goldberg's wifes TA, which i believe has an LS7 in it. Retained the shaker, while making it look pretty dam nice.

Last edited by Quaman; 05-02-2012 at 04:37 PM. Reason: pic surfn
Old 05-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Quaman
Andrew B on this forum has a GTO he did. Ill see if i can dig up a picture of his.
*edit, found it*

Goldberg's wifes TA, which i believe has an LS7 in it. Retained the shaker, while making it look pretty dam nice.
I really hope I can make it sit like that LS7
Old 05-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Check this out, im pretty sure your going to be interested in this....

http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...ion-2.0/page16
Old 05-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Quaman
Check this out, im pretty sure your going to be interested in this....

http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...ion-2.0/page16
Thanks.
I'll get reading.

Wonder how the GTO front frame compares to my trans am....
Old 05-02-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the measurement of the F-body pan (sticky) and the measurement of the dry sump LS7 pan... then you will know! The sticky even has pictures of both and F-body pan measurements to get you started!

Also, if that is the Year One car, I don't think it has an LS7 oil pan. Actually, it looks like it has a deep sump wet sump pan that is very tall in the back. Check out the third to last build pic on the first page:

http://ghostworks.yearone.com/bandit...s?show=gallery

I don't see an oil tank under the hood anywhere, either. There's canister against the passenger firewall, but it looks like more of an Accusump-type device if anything.

Originally Posted by shank0668
I am actually less concerned with making that custom piece as I am getting enough space to have one. I am concerned the LS1 will sit too high and then a box that size doesn't fit. I don't think the LS1 will sit as low as the LS7, and that will be the problem.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FastKat
Get the measurement of the F-body pan (sticky) and the measurement of the dry sump LS7 pan... then you will know! The sticky even has pictures of both and F-body pan measurements to get you started!

Also, if that is the Year One car, I don't think it has an LS7 oil pan. Actually, it looks like it has a deep sump wet sump pan that is very tall in the back. Check out the third to last build pic on the first page:

I don't see an oil tank under the hood anywhere, either. There's canister against the passenger firewall, but it looks like more of an Accusump-type device if anything.
That motor pictured appears to be a pontiac 400/455. They list the LS7 as a dry sump. I will have to check the measurements. I should make a cardboard ls1 pan.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Hmmm.....

http://www.jegs.com/i/GM%20Performan...0002/-1?CT=999

Last edited by shank0668; 05-13-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry for the thread hyjack but how do they fabricate shaker hoods to keep rain from puddling in the intake?
Old 05-13-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Pee hole in bedpan.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:00 PM
ModSquad

Originally Posted by FastKat

I was referring to the underhood shot in post #1. But after reviewing this, I realize that is one of the many cars that Year One has built. The car that Year One currently has tucked away in the back of the warehouse has a Peterson oil tank. The tank in the above mentioned picture, behind the passenger side headlight, looks to be a G.M. tank.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shank0668
I don't think the LS1 will sit as low as the LS7, and that will be the problem.
I don't think the LS7 Dry sump will buy you anything.. the front sump area of most pans to X-Member is where the issue will be on trying to get the engine lower in the engine bay. The front of the LS1 pan about 1" deep. Even with a LS7 Dry Sump system, you would still have about 1" to 1 1/2" of pan in the same area.

I built this Cowl Induction system back in late 05' or early 06'.. before Year one started there 69 Camaro and TA Hoods.. The Cowl Induction is fully functional as it would be stock.

BC

Quick Reply: How LOW can an Ls1 get?