Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PS coolers, PS fluid, and coolant questions for swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:02 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default PS coolers, PS fluid, and coolant questions for swap?

I see that most factory LS cars have a power steering fluid cooler. Do you guys usually install them in your swaps? Also curious what fluid you are using, actual ps fluid, dextron, or something fancy like redline? Lastly, still have brass 4 core radiator in my blue car, can i run green antifreeze or should I still go with dexcool?

Thanks,
TJ
Old 05-02-2012, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I at first went without the PS Cooler, But had Steering lockups, I then added the cooler and those lockkup went away. So I now try to add a cooler if possible.

Seem that the Higher pressure of the newer PS Pump is too much for the older box and must use a restrictor or change the valve on the high pressure side of the pump. Also with the Higher pressure, more heat is generated. So my problem might have been the combination of the two, but the cooler was all I needed to resolve the lock up.s

I use PS Fluid in my system. But Dextron or Syn stuff will work too.

As far as Engine coolant, I use the normal older Green stuff, just make sure you flush the system of newer Orange stuff out or you will have a mess inside the radiator and engine passages.

Quick Reply: PS coolers, PS fluid, and coolant questions for swap?