Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for LS swap for 73 Lemans (A-body)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default looking for LS swap for 73 Lemans (A-body)

The A-body sticky was for only for up to 1972. Not sure on the details on the 1973 Pontiac Lemans A-body. Anybody do a swap on one of these or know what it would be similar to? I just picked up the car, so I am trying to see what parts are out there.
thank you!
Old 05-02-2012, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

im currently working on a swap for my 74 chevelle, should be pretty much the same. there was another thread started about a 73 buick but i havent seen any updates in a long time. hope the info helps.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-5-3-swap.html
Old 05-02-2012, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am pretty sure the 73 - 77 frame were close but different in a few area. But nothing really to worry about for Swapping in an newer Gen III/IV engine. The ins and outs of the A-body swap would still be pretty close to the same.

Improved or redesigned bumper mount areas, added body mounts, re-enforced side frames, etc.. but same basic frame.

Anything different would be a minor adjustement to the swaping details.

BC
Old 05-03-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by brian.harmon1974
im currently working on a swap for my 74 chevelle, should be pretty much the same. there was another thread started about a 73 buick but i havent seen any updates in a long time. hope the info helps.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-5-3-swap.html
I subscribed and asked a question.... which motor mounts did you use?
thanks
Old 05-03-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will let you guys know if you are looking for a good rear... Find a 8.5" rear out of a mid 90's Caprice/Impala SS rear. There is a pull it yourself junkyard around here that has several Balto City taxis/expolice cars that have this rear for about $100. Bolt it right in, has posi and nice gears.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99VetteFRC
I will let you guys know if you are looking for a good rear... Find a 8.5" rear out of a mid 90's Caprice/Impala SS rear. There is a pull it yourself junkyard around here that has several Balto City taxis/expolice cars that have this rear for about $100. Bolt it right in, has posi and nice gears.
Thanks for the info. I have a 95 Impala with that rear. There is however a difference in the width on a Caprice, Impala and 9C1 police car. Also, the bolt pattern is a 5 on 5 compared to 5 on 4.75. Do the original axles fit in the caprice rear end? A better choice would be a buick road master rear end with the trailer package. It should come with 3.42 gears instead of the 2.93 or 3.08 gears. I think that package also was avaialble in the fleetwood, but not 100% certain...

I believe my car has a built one already, so I will have to see. As for the Imp rears, you can't rebuild the posi, so we generally go with the Eaton posi as a replacement. The stock one didn't last long in my Imp before I was getting the one tire fire. The Eaton is whats in my Imp now with 3.73 gears.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:16 PM

86 or 87 I believe was the change over from 28 splines to 30 splines.

Quick Reply: looking for LS swap for 73 Lemans (A-body)