Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official- Where did you get your engine/trans

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Official- Where did you get your engine/trans

Haven't see anything like this so figure I would start one. After bad experience with a local dismantler. See thread here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ns-wanted.html

I figured it would be nice to have a place to post where everyone found their engines or complete drop outs from.

List the name and contact info if you have it. If you purchased from ebay then what was the sellers name. Etc.

Purchased locally? Then post your good/bad experience with them so we all know who is good to deal with and who isn't.

Hopefully we can all save each other from dealing with scumbag dismantlers trying to defraud us. Thankfully I was able to get 100% refund from the people that tried to pull a fast one.

I'm still looking for a 6.0 or 5.3. Since local prices seemed to have sky rocketed recently. I'm looking a little further out and trying to find best deal plus cheapest shipping with someone who is reputable.

I'm sure we all know about Car-part.com or LKQ but that really isn't enough. You can't find much feedback on most of these places.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up my ls6 From Auto City Salvage in Sun Valley, Ca. Great guys to deal with, had zero problems. I'd really recommend them to anyone living in the San Fernando valley that is looking for an alternative for pick-your-part. They have plenty of late model gm parts, but I may have gotten lucky with the ls6. Still, I plan on going back and buying a couple more things.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Launching!

I bought one from flee-bay and one from this forum. The guy was a dick on e-bay and it took nearly a month for him to ship it. I should have cancelled the transaction and went with another seller, but ended up with the engine finally.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blue91z
I picked up my ls6 From Auto City Salvage in Sun Valley, Ca. Great guys to deal with, had zero problems. I'd really recommend them to anyone living in the San Fernando valley that is looking for an alternative for pick-your-part. They have plenty of late model gm parts, but I may have gotten lucky with the ls6. Still, I plan on going back and buying a couple more things.
Just looked them up and on yelp.com there was one review. This is a body shop?

I looked at a lq9 and trans at a body shop yesterday. wanted $1500 for everything.

I get there to find out it was in a fire and entire intake and harness was melted over the entire engine. What a waste of time.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

i traded locally... started with trading this 900 dollar bass boat for a 1986 jeep comanchee, then traded it for a 240sx that had a 5.3 swap with a stand alone wire harness/tuned ecu and a grenaded old 4 speed muncie. the car was hacked all to hell but the motor ran sweet fired right up. im currently putting the 5.3 in my 88 chevy 1500 and goin turbo, selling parts off the 240 to kinda help fund it.

local prices more than likely shot up because of tax season... i know all my local listings i usually troll for good deals have. prices are starting to come down if you look on craigslist i bet a 5.3 will pop up for around 500 bux eventually. where are you located?? i have a buddy that parts out lsx motors mainly takeouts
Old 05-03-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm in Sacramento, Ca

Currently looking at a complete 5.3/4l60e trans takeout. Complete harness, maf, DBW so it comes with the pedal, all brackets and alt/starter etc. For 2k shipping is $450 though. Entire package has 79k. Has 706 casting aluminum heads.

Compression in all the cylinders range from 165-170psi
Old 05-03-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

I'm in Canton, Ohio. Purchased my engine from Benwood Auto Parts in NY after finding them on E-bay. Good people to deal with, shipped everything to me with no issues. They even sent me the MAF they forgot to pack with the engine after I gave them a call. My 100k 5.3 w/harness, ECM, and all accessories came for 500 +250 shipping (3 years ago). Runs great, no issues.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in south central Pa and work in Baltimore Md. I got my engine off ebay for $450+$100 shipping from Bow Auto Recyclers in New Hampshire. Chris is their Internet sales guy and was a pleasure to deal with. I talked to him a couple times on the phone and he was more than helpful.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you guys ever been asked to pay core chargers?

Out of all the dismantlers I been to locally, one place that seemed would be pretty nice to deal with wanted $2850 for a Lq9 with 96k and 4l60e with 63k. They wanted to charge me $50 core charge on the transmission and $200 core charge on the engine. Plus charged me extra $150 for all the accessories like altenator, starter, a/c, etc when all that crap is already still on the engine, dosen't make sense to charge me extra when its already on the motor and still in the vehicle. Yet they through in the harness and pedal for free. WTF! all for total $2850 out the door with tax.

So far they are the only ones that tried to pull core charge cost.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Found my LQ4/4L80e complete on CL for $1400. Ya, I've dealt with the core charge BS. I really don't get why salvage yards feel the need to charge for 'em.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Stormed_Norm
I bought one from flee-bay and one from this forum. The guy was a dick on e-bay and it took nearly a month for him to ship it. I should have cancelled the transaction and went with another seller, but ended up with the engine finally.
I believe I supplied you with your last motor

I've been parting F-bodys for about 5 years and have sold lots on here as well as a few other forums and ebay. All the pullout's i've run in my projects all came out of wrecks I parted so I've never had any experiences buying complete pullouts other than parts off the classifieds section on here.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:31 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,368 Likes on 2,085 Posts

^^^AKWARD^^^
Old 05-04-2012, 12:23 AM
TECH Regular

I purchased most of my motors from CL, but I have also got lucky on a couple local forums with some decent deals. The 5.3 I have I got from a local forum and the trans I got from my friend I bought my TBSS from for free with the purchase of the TBSS as a spare because he runs a decent size chevy dealer.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:27 AM
Launching!

BD Turnkey out in Nevada got me my engine. Had less than 30K miles on it, complete turnkey setup with a custom bench tune done by a separate party. 3 wire minimum hookup, nice fuse boxes/looms, and the engine looked brand new(also came with a simple stand) - LQ4 Iron Block With Aluminum Heads. Total was a little under $3,500 (more than i think most guys would have payed -everything engine was has been solid/simple to wire and he even supplied me with a installation packet for my swap)
Old 05-04-2012, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got both of mine from looking on CL, one as a engine/trans pull out and the second one as a complete wrecked car. both LS1 with one each T56 and A4.

BC
Old 05-04-2012, 06:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Got a new crate motor right from the local Chevy dealer. Used my neighbor's employee discount. They got it in less than a week with no shipping charges, just local pick up.

Bought a TKO trans and bellhousing from Keisler. Had a bad experience with them, would probably go with someone else next go around.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Both my LQ9 and LM7 on ebay. Lowballed offers on auctions that expired. Got them from 2 different yards, but both had good feedback, lots of complete takeouts, and warantees.
Plan on about an extra $100 for shipping.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:54 AM
On The Tree

I got mine on craigslist.
6.2 L92 and 6L80E from 2007 Escalade, 50k+miles.
Came with stock harness, no ecu, no alternator, robbed alternator coupler, fuel tank, condensor, etc and a bunch of other scrap metal I couldn't use.
All for $2500. Had to purchase the ecu, alternator, and all the other swap stuff.
I rebuilt my own
Also had to swap to the musclecar(LH8) oil pan and 2010 camaro exhaust and intake manifolds. Ultimately I had 4500+ in the whole swap. This includes the cost of the upgrades, HP tuners pro, huge fuel system, etc.

I've put about 5000 miles on the swap so far, with not the slightest issue with the swap or engine.

I would say your best deal is going to come from a private seller or a wrecked car you buy yourself. I called dismantlers or salvae yards and the prices were rediculous.
Even the alternator was going to cost me nearly new prices so I just bought a new AC-delco for not much more and a lot more piece of mind.

The key is, be patient. Have a list of must haves(aluminum block, future power/size potential, etc). Be open to all options that are a good deal and fit your criteria. I waited until I saw the above deal and jumped on. I'm sure others have found better engine, better deals, or both, but this was by far the best one I've seen while I was looking.

I could have had smaller engines, but my ultimate goal is 1000whp. So I need to have displacement potential, the L92 has some of the best heads, and a lost some weight with the aluminum block. The 6L80E is a space filler until I swap in a 6-sp manual but works great.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:19 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,368 Likes on 2,085 Posts

I'm a firm believer in reputation, as that is how I grow my own business. I'm on the opposite coast from you, but my ls engines usually come from the Midwest via truck freight. I use Retro LSX, a well known company that moves and sells ls engines. That's all they do. They are in the same building with HotRod Revolution, a company that does ls engine swaps. That's all they do. There is a wealth of knowledge between these two company's, and they are local to me. Add to the equation that Vengeance Racing is right around the corner from there and it works out pretty well.
I've bought an ly6, and an l33 from Shawn at Retro LSX, and he is great to work with. He was able to actually see my ly6 run before they pulled it out of the wreck, via the Internet. It was a no pressure sale with me being able to choose from many choices. He stands behind what he sells 100%, and if your not happy, take it back. He ships all over the country, so it's not out of reach for you at all. I paid $2250 for my ly6 complete pullout, with harness, ECM, all accessories, starter, even still had the belt and fan on it. Can you find one cheaper? absolutely. Can you find better service and reputation? No way. And with what you have been through lately, peace of mind is priceless!
Reputation is everything.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

Plus one for Bow Auto. Got my LY6 4 years ago for $1500 complete with 10k miles.

Quick Reply: Official- Where did you get your engine/trans