Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1966 El Camino LS swap complete

Old 05-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1966 El Camino LS swap complete

The Swap: The El Camino was completed in the early 2000’s, completed with a Chevrolet Small Block 383 Stroker, built by Paul’s Empire Head Shop in Sonoma County. Engine was built with Scat Crank and Rods, Keith Black pistons, Edelbrock Aluminum RPM heads and a Comp Cam. 11.5-1 compression ratio put this Engine at 540 HP at the flywheel. The engine was backed by a wide ratio Muncie four speed, Centerforce clutch and a Chevy 12 bolt rear end with 4.11 gears. After putting up an impressive high 11 second quarter mile pass, the rear end and clutch had to be replaced due to failure. The rear end then went to a 3.73 ratio to make it more street friendly. In 2010, the motor train went through another set of changes, the cam was replaced by a Comp Cams ***** Thumpr Cam, the clutch was upgraded to a McCloud RST twin disc set up and Lakewood scatter shield, and upgrading to March Billet accessories and pulleys with a electric fan, made the car even more street able and looking great. Unfortunately, the Muncie had enough and broke down, leading to the LS swap.

I started out doing a lot of research, seeing what parts were out there for my application for the swap, checking out LS1tech.com, teamchevelle.com and other forums to see what people were talking about and using in their rides. One important thing I found during the swap is 1964-1972 Chevelle’s and El Caminos are not the same, no matter what people say, they are very different. I originally bought Speedtech/ATS motor mount plates but was having issues with the placement of the engine. I called Speedtech to find out what was up; I was told that they do not make engine mount plates for Chevelles (even though they say they do on their website) but only for Camaros. I found the person on the phone to be rude, not helpful in anyway. I can’t speak for their suspension, but for Chevelle’s, don’t use their plates as they are not meant for our cars. Also, not all Tremec dealers are created equal. I originally set out to go with a 5-speed TKO-600 Tremec, and decided on using Keisler Engineering and their new RS-600 transmission. To make a long story short, I placed my order in Oct. 2011 and was told there is a 3 month waiting list, but that my transmission would ship in January 2012. I started to hear things about Keisler and people not getting their orders on time, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt and sent my salesman an email in Dec 2011, asking if I was still on track to receive my transmission in January. I was given the run around, took a couple days and a couple different people to be told that I was looking at best case scenario, April 2012. I told them that was not going to work, ending up cancelling my order (they drug out 30 days) and called American Powertrain, ended up going to the T-56 and have been very happy with them.

The 383 Stroker went back to its original owner and builder (Jim Brown of Santa Rosa Resto-Rods) and found its new home in a 1957 Chevy 210. A 2003 GMC Denali engine was purchased from an auto wrecker in Rancho Cordova. The engine was torn down and stripped of its original fuel injection, intake manifold, wiring and accessories. Replacing that stuff with an Edelbrock Victor Jr. carbureted intake manifold in powder coated black and topped with a Holley 770CFM Street Avenger Carburetor. The head gaskets were changed for insurance, ARP Head bolts were used to secure the heads, ARP rod bolts were utilized to strengthen the bottom end. The heads were upgraded with Comp Cams valve springs, retainers, locks, seats, valve seals, and push rods. A Thunder Racing TR 230/236 cam was placed in with ARP bolts, Cloyes Timing gear and chain was installed to keep timing. March billet serpentine kit was installed for clearance issues and appearance. The final oil pan to be used is an F-body oil pan (Camaro/Trans-Am 1998-2002) and was modified for clearance; New Metal Kustomz in Rohnert Park was able to weld the cast aluminum back together. I used Chris Alston Chassiworks billet LS swap motor mounts to secure engine in the car. Sanderson Headers in ceramic coating are the headers being used with a duel Flowmaster exhaust system. To run the carburetor the factory wiring harness and ECU were not used, replaced by an MSD box to control the timing. The factory coil packs are relocated to use GMPP valve covers. To fuel the engine I went with Aeromotive, using their billet fuel pump that is self-regulated. Behind the engine is a new Tremec Magnum T-56 6-Speed from American Powertrain. I went with a hydraulic clutch system with a McCloud RST twin disc clutch kit.
During the swap, I cleaned up the engine bay by smoothing the firewall, cleaning up the engine bay with new paint and cleaning up the wiring. When the interior was out to make some modifications to the floor to accept the T-56 I cleaned the pan, undercoated and insulated it, and then laid down new carpet. New Polyurethane body mount bushings were installed for engine clearance and because the ones in there were terrible.
So far to date, the car runs great, it’s a totally different feel from the old small block and four speed.
Attached Thumbnails 1966 El Camino LS swap complete-elcopic.jpg  
Old 06-24-2012, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Wow that is a nice build. Got any picks of the build?
Old 06-22-2014, 11:26 AM
Teching In

New to swapping and still learning. When going with a carb and the t56, do you need a computer, or does the engine harness plug directly into the msd box, and nothing is needed for the trans?
Old 06-26-2014, 10:31 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JAF66
New to swapping and still learning. When going with a carb and the t56, do you need a computer, or does the engine harness plug directly into the msd box, and nothing is needed for the trans?
The MSD box plugs right into the factory sensors. It is about the easiest thing ever. When I built mine, I wired it, plumbed it and it fired right up first try.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bravo!! Just started my 5.3/Auto build for my '66. The engine got broken-in in my 1998 F150. Now a propane specific 5.7 LS1 goes in the F150 and my 5.3 will go in the '66 Camino. What oil pan did you use? Is that a one-wire alternator? What is the unit mounted opposite the alternator on the driver's side?
Old 06-27-2014, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by Bilster
Bravo!! Just started my 5.3/Auto build for my '66. The engine got broken-in in my 1998 F150. Now a propane specific 5.7 LS1 goes in the F150 and my 5.3 will go in the '66 Camino. What oil pan did you use? Is that a one-wire alternator? What is the unit mounted opposite the alternator on the driver's side?
The original poster hasn't been online since April of this year. I wouldn't expect a lot of information from him.

There are various pans that work in GM a-bodies, with the new Holley pan probably being the best of the bunch.

Andrew

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1966 El Camino LS swap complete