LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by
Don Hardy Race Cars

Custom Motor Mounts

Old 05-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
Staging Lane

Trader Rating: 4
Default Custom Motor Mounts

Thinking of making my own motor mount for the passenger side of my car. I have an LT1 car swapping an LQ4 into it, but that is beside the point. I thought this would be the best place to put this thread because there is obviously a lot of fabrication going on in this section of the forum in the area of the engine bay!

So my question is, has anyone ever made engine mounts similar to this one?

I want to make one with a bushing style mount so that it tucks closer to the engine unlike the stock clamshell mount. The reason for this is so I can squeeze a large downpipe through the stock k member. Possibly will try to make a cheaper plate/bushing setup similar to the way this one is set up, but welded instead.

Possibly buy these inserts and get the correct size pipe to mount them in??

Has anyone made their own similar to what I want to do? Any suggestions on different parts I should use? Specific mounts, how thick of sleeves for the inserts, etc...?
nascarextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
TECH Senior Member

Trader Rating: 12

Take a lesson from the old street rod's, they use that type of framing for engine mounting all of the time.

Check out Speedwaymotors or Yogi's, I am sure you can find something to work.

BC
71' Nova - LS1/4L60E , Full Hotchkis TVS Suspension
79' G-30 SWB 4X4 Van, 400cid / TH350 NP205
48' Ford F-1 1/2 Ton Truck, Stock 6cyc/3sp
bczee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
Staging Lane

Thanks bczee
Old 05-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
TECH Addict

Trader Rating: 1

I used the stock vette motor mounts and S&P biscuit mounts. Mounted pretty easy to a square tubing cross member I added.

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/08%20catalog/page%2098.pdf

The really nice thing about the biscuit mounts is it allows shimming the motor higher by drilling holes in aluminum plate. That helps get the clearance or pinion angles where you need them.

A company named transdapt sells kits like that first pic you showed. Summit and Jegs both carry them.
Pop N Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
TECH Fanatic

Trader Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to 99VetteFRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarextreme View Post
Thinking of making my own motor mount for the passenger side of my car. I have an LT1 car swapping an LQ4 into it, but that is beside the point. I thought this would be the best place to put this thread because there is obviously a lot of fabrication going on in this section of the forum in the area of the engine bay!

So my question is, has anyone ever made engine mounts similar to this one?

I want to make one with a bushing style mount so that it tucks closer to the engine unlike the stock clamshell mount. The reason for this is so I can squeeze a large downpipe through the stock k member. Possibly will try to make a cheaper plate/bushing setup similar to the way this one is set up, but welded instead.

Possibly buy these inserts and get the correct size pipe to mount them in??

Has anyone made their own similar to what I want to do? Any suggestions on different parts I should use? Specific mounts, how thick of sleeves for the inserts, etc...?
I saw a tread on this site where someone made mounts like in your top pic to put LS in a Volvo I think. Not sure what kind of car but I do remeber it being an import. Vague I know!!! LOl

99 Vette- Corsa Exhaust, Air Filter, C6 Z06 wheels
70 Chevelle- Twin Turbos, LS1, T56, 12bolt 4.10 gears (Dyno Tuned!) 457hp@5500 534ft/lbs @ 4000
12 Silverado 5.3L auto.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...4-8-turbo.html
See My youtube videos here!
http://www.youtube.com/user/99VetteFRC?feature=mhee
99VetteFRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
Launching!

Trader Rating: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarextreme View Post
Thinking of making my own motor mount for the passenger side of my car. Has anyone made their own similar to what I want to do? Any suggestions on different parts I should use? Specific mounts, how thick of sleeves for the inserts, etc...?
Welder Series has eveything you need to make your bushing mounts including the bushings, tube for the bushings, etc. I've bought numerous pieces from D.W. Horton, including the mounts for the LS1 in my '32 Ford's TCI chassis. He's great to deal with and very helpful if you need something unique.

Check out the thumbnails in this link for ideas for mounts. I know it shows mounts for a SBC but the only difference is the engine plate. I hope this helps.

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear to be bright until they speak.
Mike52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
Staging Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike52 View Post
Welder Series has eveything you need to make your bushing mounts including the bushings, tube for the bushings, etc. I've bought numerous pieces from D.W. Horton, including the mounts for the LS1 in my '32 Ford's TCI chassis. He's great to deal with and very helpful if you need something unique.

Check out the thumbnails in this link for ideas for mounts. I know it shows mounts for a SBC but the only difference is the engine plate. I hope this helps.
That's great. Thanks Mike!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:28 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement