Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LY6 Stand Alone Harness?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LY6 Stand Alone Harness?

I'm starting to go mental searching ...I am trying to make a stand alone harness for my LY6, I am going to be running the E38 ECM and plan on keeping VVT. I will be running an NV4500. Maybe some one can point me in the right direction on what to search for. Ive got half of the harness torn down and just need to know what wires I need and which ones I don't. Also how do you de-pin the e38 connectors?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks, Ryan
Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Teching In

I figured out the depinning
Old 05-08-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What kind of vehicle is the combination going in? Also I take it that it does not have to be smog legal? This will help determine what and what not to keep. I am currently reworking a E38 engine harness that came out of a 2009 Escalade.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
What kind of vehicle is the combination going in? Also I take it that it does not have to be smog legal? This will help determine what and what not to keep. I am currently reworking a E38 engine harness that came out of a 2009 Escalade.
Its going into a 71 Blazer, I started removing pins tonight(rear o2s, auto trans wires, ect.)

I was getting confused while doing some research earlier, people were mentioning running resistors and such. I was only planning on just using the ECM seeing that I'm going to be using a manual shift. Do you need the Brake signal switch wired in?

Old 05-08-2012, 10:53 PM
TECH Junkie

I know the brake light signal is used in an auto trans to release the lock up feature of the torque converter. The brake may also have to be on to start the car. I think the resistors are for the communications system to signal the end of the circuit.

In your case it looks like you will only be using the E38 ECM. You are going to have to get your ECM re-flashed so I would talk to the person who you are having to re-flash the computer and find out what signals need to be there and what does not. The brake light switch being one of them. Some not needed are obvious such as the rear O2 sensors which can be programmed out.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
I know the brake light signal is used in an auto trans to release the lock up feature of the torque converter. The brake may also have to be on to start the car. I think the resistors are for the communications system to signal the end of the circuit.

In your case it looks like you will only be using the E38 ECM. You are going to have to get your ECM re-flashed so I would talk to the person who you are having to re-flash the computer and find out what signals need to be there and what does not. The brake light switch being one of them. Some not needed are obvious such as the rear O2 sensors which can be programmed out.
I'm having a friend put the "tune" into it with HPtuners, Ill have to look into what I need to do with the CAN wires. and if I'll need the brake switch with my setup.

Ive been building Honda's for the last 10 years or so. This is my first LS Build.

Thanks for the help so far.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:12 PM
TECH Junkie

You will need an ALDL plug to hook up a computer to so that it can communicate with the E38 ECM.. So the ALDL plug is where I am going to put the resistors signaling the end of the CAN circuit.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If the original harness was for an automatic, make sure you reroute the can bus wires directly to the ECM from the ALDL.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 05-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by psiconversion
If the original harness was for an automatic, make sure you reroute the can bus wires directly to the ECM from the ALDL.

Jon
PSI
Yes the harness is from a 2008 3500 Automatic Van, what do you mean by reroute? just the wires from the ECM to to the ALDL?

Thanks Guys
Old 05-09-2012, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

I think he means that the CAN tan and tan/white wires that once went to the transmission(ecm) or 6l80E(ecm is internal) should be re-routed up to where your ALDL connector is going to be placed. I have heard that it is a good idea to put a 120 ohm resistor across the wires at that point on the ALDL connection. Mine are already there at the bulkhead connector on my harness.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, sorry for the confusion CAN is what I meant.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 11-16-2016, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Hey guys, I'm going to be installing an LY6 and 6l90e into my '85 cutlass. Going to be tackling the wiring soon, any tips would be appreciated. I've looked up LT1Swap.com and I know he has a lot of info on there but wouldn't mind getting other opinions to make things easier to understand.

Quick Reply: LY6 Stand Alone Harness?