Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New-ish-be (searched / read a lot) g-body l33 / 7oor4

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New-ish-be (searched / read a lot) g-body l33 / 7oor4

To start, I have been reading for over 2 months. I might not have searched / read the right topic yet. I am just running short of time. This vehicle will be on the power tour this year.

I have an 83 regal that was a 4.1L EFI car. Has a Monte Carlo exhaust, 700r4 transmission, 2.23 posi-track rear end.

I work at a GM dealership and get the sweet deal on GM factory or GMPP parts. (Offered also to any member of any forum I am on, for local pick up only) So Id like to stay with them as much as possible.

But if I can find used or “cheap” performance parts that will better the project Ill go that route.

Ok, my plan is 700r4, with a 5.3.

Can any one give me a parts list?

What to use for fuel system?

I have a baffled tank, but it was an 83 4.1L car. The pump needs to be replaced. I also understand to make it return less, ill need a CTS-V or Corvette fuel filter and route the return line back to the return line on the tank.

What to use for exhaust?

I have heard 3 things, one that the truck manifolds will fit. Another says it will on one side not the other. The other side requires a (19xx-200x) Firebird / Trans Am / Camero manifolds. Then lastly, that no matter which of the manifolds you go with they have to be "beat to fit" Is this true? What years are the manifolds I am looking for? Is there a header that is cheap that will make it easier to mount to my stock / modified (diff. mufflers) Monte Carlo exhaust.

What to use for oil pan?

This car is lowered, maybe will become bagged (I have a complete kit for a g-body).
I have heard that the truck pans fit, is this true? I know they hang down low. I don’t want to be too low. I have heard that a LS car pan will not fit with out modification.
What is the best plan?

What to use for accessories?

I am getting a drop out from a truck. Id like to use as much of it as possible, but I know that there is a clearance problem. I will have a/c again at some point. I like the Buick “fast with class” idea. What is the best / cheap plan?

What about engine mounts?

I have the idea that the proper mount system is to get a “plate” from eBay. Since I will be running a/c, with that a zero offset and SBC clam mounts. I can not find these on eBay.

What about transmission and cross members?

Running a 700r4 there is a spacer and bolt kit that ill need. I know someone said that there is a GMPP kit for this. Does anyone have the part number? Also, I am using the stock cross member. Is there a chance that or will I have to modify the cross member? I already had to have the stock drive shaft shortened will I have to shorten it again?

What about the T/V cable?

I know that I have to have this connected to a throttle body, but how. I believe because I have to run a cable throttle body Ill have to put a car intake on. What do I do to connect it and have it operate correctly? T/V cable issues kill most 700r4’s.

What about Intake and fuel rails / injectors?

What is the best stock intake for a 5.3 with a cam? What stock injectors and rail should I get? Should I get better injectors, since I have to purchase them?

What about ECM and harness?

I am not afraid of modifying my own harness. I have swapped GM EFI engines previously. I know that I will need to have it tuned, who does it right, fast, and cheap? Any special tuning that I should have done?

What did I miss?

What else do I have to purchase?
Old 05-17-2012, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy a complete 5.3/4L60E and forget the 700-R4. You will be glad you did. You won't need a tv cable, flexplate to convertor spacer or different throttle body. Get a harness from PSI. They are a board sponcer and make a very good harness.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Teching In

I just did a 5.3 swap in my 79 malibu ...truck engine have to change pan I used the mast pan ,spendy but perfect .the bolt in kit is brp hot rods ...for g body covers engine and tranny..real nice ..fuel got a fuel kit through summit had everything you need pump ,vette filter,and line,with ends,..the exhaust on mine the pass side was a good fit the driver had to heat and massage a lot but it worked out ..back to the oil pan my car is lowered 1 inch slings and 2 inch spindles .so the mast pan was the best for my set up ,the holly might work for you ,and the gm performance is the same as a truck pan ,.depending on your motor mounts will dictate your pan
Old 05-17-2012, 07:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree with LS1MCSS, 4L60E makes the most sense unless you have a 700R4 already built and want to save the money. If that is the case you can get a bracket for the TV Cable if you going drive by cable or if you are going drive by wire, you can fab something for the TV cable to work off the throttle pedal. Regarding a harness and tuned PCM, I am biased.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 05-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sleeper507
I just did a 5.3 swap in my 79 malibu ...truck engine have to change pan I used the mast pan ,spendy but perfect
I like the pan, looks like a nice part. Although, this is going to be a cruiser and am on a tighter budget. What other options is there? I have heard the truck pan wont fit. I am going to use zero off-set mount plates with the SBC clams.

..fuel got a fuel kit through summit had everything you need pump ,vette filter,and line,with ends,
Can not seem to locate this "kit" on summit. Is the kit cheaper than a DIY kit?

..the exhaust on mine the pass side was a good fit the driver had to heat and massage a lot but it worked out
I assume you mean the truck manifold. Any more information?

the holly might work for you ,and the gm performance is the same as a truck pan ,.depending on your motor mounts will dictate your pan
I am running the zero offset with SBC clams. I have been told this is best for the clearance on the a/c box.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by psiconversion
Agree with LS1MCSS, 4L60E makes the most sense unless you have a 700R4 already built and want to save the money. If that is the case you can get a bracket for the TV Cable if you going drive by cable or if you are going drive by wire, you can fab something for the TV cable to work off the throttle pedal. Regarding a harness and tuned PCM, I am biased.
I actually found that there is a kit for $160 to add the correct cam to the Throttle body for the T/V cable. But, then I was doing math with the chance of having to shorten the drive shaft again ($100). Then the spacers ($40 iirc), then Id have to get a throttle body and car intake ($200). I know that I can purchase a high miles 4L60e and have it rebuilt for a total of $500. I work at a dealer!

Concider that the 700 is on the back burner, unless I find that the rest of the project items go up in cost.

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
Buy a complete 5.3/4L60E and forget the 700-R4. You will be glad you did. You won't need a tv cable, flexplate to convertor spacer or different throttle body. Get a harness from PSI. They are a board sponcer and make a very good harness.
I belive that I am getting a PSI harness. I support those that support.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Is there any tunnel beating needed to put the 4l60e in?

Or was that the 4L80e that you needed to?
Old 05-18-2012, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

I did a swap in an 81 Malibu:

My car is on coils so i was concerned with oil pan clearece. Your best bet is the Caddilac CTSV oil pan (I found mine new with pickup tube for $150 online)

I'd pass on the manifolds and go with a set of headers. I used a set of pacesetter 98-02 camaro/firebird headers by denting a tube a little bit on the passenger side. Saved a lot of money.

As for the intake manifold, the truck intake actually flows really well. There have been articles online and in magazines where they swap a stock truck intake for an SSI or Ls6 on a built 400 cube ls motor and only pick up 8 hp and loose 20 lb ft tq. So it's a great intake for a street car, it just doesn't look the best.

You will need a crank spacer. There is a GM part number for it if you just search online or look it up at work. I ended up running a 4L80E flexplate (flat) with the spacer between the flexplate and the crank. Or you can use the 4.8/5.3 flexplate (curved) with the spacer between the converter and the flexplate.

Motor mounts, I used a set of carshop 1in setback mounts .. strongly suggested to set the motor back for better pan and header clearence. If you want to keep a/c, hvac box will need modded. Im running a non a/c heater box with no issues (although very tight).

I modded a stock truck harness to work in standalone and had Vats, rear o2, emissions, evap, egr w/e all that crap disabled
Old 05-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by superbean
I did a swap in an 81 Malibu:
My car is on coils so i was concerned with oil pan clearece. Your best bet is the Caddilac CTSV oil pan (I found mine new with pickup tube for $150 online)
I looked it up
GM PART NUMBER 12631828 PAN,OIL $198.42 plus tax,
For me tax included is $132.19

See why I want to go with as much GM / GMPP parts as I can.

I'd pass on the manifolds and go with a set of headers. I used a set of pacesetter 98-02 camaro/firebird headers by denting a tube a little bit on the passenger side. Saved a lot of money.
I see these are going from about $200 to $500. Wouldnt a stock used manifold be more affordable? I know that there has to be a set, but I cant find anyone saying "this manifold fits with out modification".

As for the intake manifold, the truck intake actually flows really well. There have been articles online and in magazines where they swap a stock truck intake for an SSI or Ls6 on a built 400 cube ls motor and only pick up 8 hp and loose 20 lb ft tq. So it's a great intake for a street car, it just doesn't look the best.
This is good news as from above it sounds like I will not be needing the cable throttle body and means I can use a stock 5.3 drop out LM7 and the like.

You will need a crank spacer. There is a GM part number for it if you just search online or look it up at work. I ended up running a 4L80E flexplate (flat) with the spacer between the flexplate and the crank. Or you can use the 4.8/5.3 flexplate (curved) with the spacer between the converter and the flexplate.
I assume this is ONLY if I stay with the 700r4 correct?

Motor mounts, I used a set of carshop 1in setback mounts .. strongly suggested to set the motor back for better pan and header clearence. If you want to keep a/c, hvac box will need modded. Im running a non a/c heater box with no issues (although very tight).
Is the set back only for the header and pan clearance? This is the first time that someone said "this is why". Thank you.

I modded a stock truck harness to work in standalone and had Vats, rear o2, emissions, evap, egr w/e all that crap disabled
Starting my reprogram list.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Your fuel system would be cheap if you work at dealership ,the kit I got uses out of tank pump and a corvette filter ,it provides the right pressure and returned it to the tank ,witch was perfect for me my 5.3 is a returnless one ,if your going external pump or in tank .I'm sure you can piece stuff together cheaper .the big thing is the vette filter
Old 05-18-2012, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Here is more info on that fuel kit .Russell performance 641600. Put that number into summits web site
Old 05-21-2012, 04:08 PM
Teching In

OK, new set of questions!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is everyone running for manifolds / headers?

What if I switch to a 4l60e, what do I do to keep cruise (new style) and cable driven speedo?

More to follow!

Thanks guys, you have helped a lot!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: New-ish-be (searched / read a lot) g-body l33 / 7oor4