Sponsored by:

4L80E harness to a 4l60e ? See post# 19

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4L80E harness to a 4l60e ? See post# 19

SEE POST 19 PLEASE

Got the old engine out in a hurry when I should have been labeling things as I took them off. But I was focused on getting the 305 out, now little clueless on certain connectors/wires.

I did take pictures of where each connector went before removing the motor but this faulty Scandisk 8gb memory card from ebay isn't working. Over 2gb of picture lost.

Whats going in is a 5.3, 4l60e trans, keeping a/c(I think)

Yesterday I got the interior dash out, both wheel wells out, pulled the computer out, pulled the computer connectors out of the fire wall so that whole harness is gone. I shouldn't need ANY of this correct?

Only thing on the passenger side I kept was the wiring for the A/C, Heat.

What I have left on the passenger side. What are these two plastic hoses? pink and grey one.

Then up top for HVAC, cant remember where this plugged into. Not needed?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Onto the driver side.

Head light harness is simple, concerned about the main wires here.

And this is whats at the end of those wires. I should be able to cut all of these ends off and just use those main wires in the pic above right?

I think the only ones I should need is the (2) Red- Alternator I think, (1) Purple- To starter?, (1) Pink- Dont know where this goes to. And the rest are oil pressure and temp senders right?

I zip tied them up over the fender for better shot. Some are missing connectors cause they were so brittle when I removed them they just snapped and crumbled into pieces.

?????

To Alternator???

Temperature Sender??

Oil Pressure Switch??

Starter?

Oil Pressure Sender??

????

Last edited by BOXCHEV; 05-30-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I took all that out and installed a LS Harness to run the Engine. I integrated it into the car, no issues.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You don't count merv, you had all that crap setup already lol

Someone help me out here for wiring retards like myself. Willing to take pics and post up in gbody swap thread so I can help others with same questions.

I actually want to hide the ECM for the 5.3 inside under the dash somewhere not in the engine bay.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:24 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I`ll give this a try.

The hoses are for vacuum for your heater controls. IIRC the pink one goes to the intake/vacuum ball as a source of vacuum and the grey one goes to the solenoid that cuts off water flow to the heater core (Side note the g-bodies use one that cuts flow completely while the LSx`s are supposed to use one that recirculates if heat isn`t needed.....the valve for a 1996 suburban everco part # 74781 is a direct swap)

That 4 pin plug supplies power for your blower motor on the red. the greens are for the A/C comp clutch (I can`t remember if I had to use both, or just one). I can`t remember what exactly the 4th wire was for.

The reds are the main power supply for the car they actually went to the battery lug on the starter, but you could connect them to the alt too.
The pink wire with gray connector looks to be your coil power wire (Did this car have a remote coil as in not part of the distributor cap) The white wire on that connector is your tachometer wire.

The single green with no plastic connector sure looks like the temp sender wire.

The larger 3 wire rubber connector is your oil pressure switch I just abandoned it, but you might be able to rework it into a low oil level light since the 5.3L probably has a low oil level sensor in the pan.

The large purple wire is the starter wire.

The tan wire with a rubber plug and single connector is the oil pressure sensor (full gauge cluster car I presume)

That last white connector with a brown and red wire used to go to your alt, since the 5.3L alt is computer controlled you can abandon that wire.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

IIRC those plastic hoses connect to come kind of vacuum & run inside the car to the HVAC switch. When you move the switch the vacuum open & move the doors to guide the air/heat to where you want it to go (floor,dash,defrost). Let me grab my ipad & go out to the garage to see if I can help you with some of the other wires
Old 05-24-2012, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

look like G-body beat me to it...

G-body, when you get a chance can you shoot back over to my "Wiring help" thread
Old 05-24-2012, 11:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BOXCHEV
You don't count merv, you had all that crap setup already lol

Someone help me out here for wiring retards like myself. Willing to take pics and post up in gbody swap thread so I can help others with same questions.

I actually want to hide the ECM for the 5.3 inside under the dash somewhere not in the engine bay.
I assure you nothing of mine was "setup".. I took the Engine Harness I built from my 1998 Camaro along with the 1998 Camaro Fuse Box and completely integrated it into the 1984 wiring in my car.

My car was a running & driving 305/2004R when I got it, I turned it into a Fuel Injected 408 LQ4/T56. Pretty much re-wired the whole car.

It's not hard to do, you may get some if the original factory gauges to work.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That oil pressure switch used to supply power to the choke on the carburated motor. Not sure why GM hooked it up like that, but you can remove all of that crap.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

G-body's post looks good to me. If I remember correctly,The 4 way connector's large red power supply terminal connector was a spot that frequently burned up & caused high speed fan power loss.
On the alternator hookup, you may want to just add another large wire from alt output to battery to make up for factory harness's small wiring.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks G-body

This here goes to the cruise control right? I don't think that will be seutp so I'll pull it out and save it for another time I might want to put it back in.

Just below the brake booster

Also just got my truck harness and ecm in the mail yesterday. Played around with it a little last night and today I started labeling things based on the pics from LT1SWAP.COM

Guy I bought it from off of here claimed none of he connectors were cut or missing. But looks like only two are missing.

Pics on LT1swap look a little different then what my harness looks like. Anyone know where the connector go?

Red/Blue connector harness

Pic from LT1SWAP

Old 05-27-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone on the truck harness pic?
Old 05-27-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone on the truck harness pic?
I have schematics... PM me you email and year of harness/engine and I'll send you them.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have no idea on the exact year the harness came from

99-02 Harness though with Red/Blue

The motor is 2004 5.3 Originally setup for DBW with Blue/Green connectors, but I didn't have a throttle body etc. etc. with the intake to run it that way plus the harness was hacked up badly.

So I'm using 99-02 harness with DBC throttle body and intake that I already have.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out www.lt1swap.com there is plenty of info for figuring out how to tell what computer you have and how to take out the DBW stuff. As far as your engine bay harness here is a list of which ever circuit your looking for http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring.html Hope this helps you out.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice build! Glad to see more and more LS Montes!!! Just wish they would get more attention and exposure instead of the Donked ones .
Old 05-28-2012, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by t72ss402
Check out www.lt1swap.com there is plenty of info for figuring out how to tell what computer you have and how to take out the DBW stuff. As far as your engine bay harness here is a list of which ever circuit your looking for http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring.html Hope this helps you out.
It's a 99-00 PCM

Just found the numbers to confirm. I don't have a DBW harness, well I have half of an DBW harness that came with the motor but it was cut up. So its scrap if I need any wires from it.

Which is why I bought a 99-02 harness with Red/Blue connectors.

And yes I guess I will be following this link here.

Removing everything highlighted in yellow, but keeping all the numbered wires highlighted in red since I'm keeping the 4l60e correct?

http://www.lt1swap.com/99-02_vortec_pcm.htm
Old 05-29-2012, 01:24 AM
On The Tree

Removing everything highlighted in yellow, but keeping all the numbered wires highlighted in red since I'm keeping the 4l60e correct?
Yeah you are going to be removing all of the yellow highlighted wires but pay attn to pin 33 on the red connector. You will be keeping that wire if you want the computer to run the fan #2. You are using the 4L60E so dont pay any attn to the red numbers. You will only need to remove those if you you are going with a non electronic trans

For the connectors or wires that you cant identify, you are going to have to trace the wires up to where they start then see what that pin location is then look on the link you posted above or here. That information should give you a general idea of what those wires are or what the connector goes to.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I still got pin# 33

Boy I been on this harness all damn day, SMH

Blue connector I got all the wires that need to be pulled out gone. Set aside and labeled them to which pin# they were pulled from.

Red I got few done but not sure about the A/C pin#'s. I want to keep A/C so IDK what is needed.

Pin# 17 (A/C Request Signal)
Pin# 33 (HVAC Recirculation Door Control "Keep pin here for fan relay control")
Pin# 43 (A/C Clutch Relay Control)
Pin# 55 (A/C Low Pressure Switch Signal)

I haven't test fitted the engine yet, using SBC mounts and 1in setbacks so not sure how the truck bracket and compressor will fit. I know it needs a notch but will it interfere with the location of the mount pads on the frame.

And is it even possible to get the truck 5.3 A/C compressor to work with my car?

I deleted the C152, C2, C100, and C153 connector and have all wires labeled. Just need to go over it once more. Going to try and get the engine cleaned up and painted this week and work on finishing up shaving the truck intake. Get it together and re-route all my wiring for lil cleaner look.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so now I'm lil P/O.

Now I was told the harness was missing NO connectors. Turns out it was missing (2). 1 I didn't even need and the other I DO need for the shifter safety switch.

And it was supposed to be an 4l60e harness, think I have a 4l80e harness cause I have pin#'s 22 and 23 on the red connector which states are only for 4l80e.

BEFORE

AFTER I think I got it right now.

This is the connector I think I'm missing in the pic above according to pin# the wires lead to when I chased them down.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:11 AM
11 Second Club

Pins 22 & 23 are the ISS for a 4L80E, appears you have the rest figured out.

Quick Reply: 4L80E harness to a 4l60e ? See post# 19