Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nova header question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nova header question

Found some headers for $200 for an F body. Does anyone know if they will fit before I buy them. I'm using F body manifolds now. Its a 74 ventura with lq9. 1 inch set back.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2012, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Kinda

Ventura,

I am going through a very similar situation dropping a 5.3 into my 73' Nova. Last week my buddy persuaded a set of SS Ebay headers into the subframe of the Nova. Check out the last page of my build thread for some details:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...et-swap-3.html

While we were able to get the headers to fit pretty nicely it was a lot of work! And there are still a few issues to work around. Like I just realized that the tranny linkage runs right into the collector! And the power steering gear box is not going to fit without making a clearance dent into the #1 primary tube.

So not sure if you want to install long tube headers, or how similar they are to the Ebay headers, but if you are going to try to make those headers fit, just be prepared for a serious bit of work! Good luck, let us know how it goes!
Old 05-30-2012, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna hold off on the headers till I have patience to fit them. The manifolds will have to work for now.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a 75 Nova with a 400ci motor. I went through like 4 sets of headers trying to get the clearance I needed. Ended up keeping the headers that came with the car when I bought it.

Headman, hooker, and mr gasket i believe. Longs, shorts, and mids. We had a hell of a time with it..
Old 05-30-2012, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

cruisin'73
I am having the same issue with the Column shifter on my 71 Nova and trying to use the Column shifter and headers, I am trying to modify the pivot, arms and rods.

I have welded an extension on to the link/pivot and bent it over the header / collector. I am also moving the pivot up about 1 ½”, making new rod using 5/16 rods with spherical rod ends to take the slop out of the old rubber bushings. I am currently trying to adjust the lever lengths and ratios to see if I can get all gears and shifting a bit better.

I am also considering trying the Shiftworks or Lokar direct rod setup as well as the Lokar column cable setup. But you need a direct line from the column and the link on the trans, which I just have by maybe ¼”

Once I get it working, I can post some pictures. I think I posted some of it on my build thead recently.

BC
Old 05-30-2012, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Shifter wooo's

Bczee,

I was starting to contemplate my options for getting around the collector as well. A cable system did cross my mind, I may look at what Lokar can offer or try to copy thier design. Lets stay in contact and bounce some ideas off of one another to solve this little dilemna!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll get some better pictures of my prototype when I get home.

BC
Old 05-30-2012, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Look at my thread i used Patriot Clippers Headers on my 1972 nova and they fit good they are 1/2 headers 1/2 that of full tub but i wonted the like that for Ground clearance.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:15 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, I'll check it out.

Quick Reply: Nova header question